Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #16
TraceMama
Rose Garden

TraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning to Read

Great to hear that the Ordinary Guide has worked for you. How recently did you buy the BOB books at Costco? I'd love to pick them up there.

I am determined to be invincible until He has finished His purpose in me.
TraceMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #17
blessmybirth

Ooooh, hmmm, maybe about three months ago. I had to visit a couple of different ones to get the 1st collection, too. I think they were pretty popular. You might even try costco.com
Old 02-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #18
TraceMama
Rose Garden

TraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

I am determined to be invincible until He has finished His purpose in me.
TraceMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #19
FoxDenLane

I've been using Barbara Curtis' book Ready, Set, Read, which is a Montessori-based reading method. BC is extremely encouraging. I highly recommend any of her books on teaching reading.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #20
monkeylicious
Rose Garden

here we go!

monkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of light

mama to an angel in heaven - july 2005
mama to Evangeline aka evie(licious) - june 2007
monkeylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #21
Grover
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Grover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond repute

I liked the book Reading Bug by paul jennings but taht was more an information guide than astep by step program for your little one.Im teaching My 5 yo to read right now and his words helped me see how confusing this can be,Iloved the chapter GHOTE spels FISH
Im still working on finding the system that will work for my DC
One is getting married later this year
Two have flown the nest.
Grandma to four .
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:42 AM   #22
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to offer an alternate suggestion to a prepackage curriculum. The weakness of these is that they usually overemphasize one area e.g. phonics and ignore or deemphasize other important areas, like reading for meaning. Also, they don't always allow you to work with your child's own learning style. My website explains briefly the types of activities I do to teaching reading and in the resource section I have free resources like high frequency word lists, lists of library books according to reading, and level free printable poems and materials and books and you can order to teach your reading using regular books. I know this can work well for home schooling families because I have worked with lots of families both in my tutoring and through having the parent attend my reading seminar who have seen great progress.

http://angelatuell.googlepages.com/m...sandphilosophy

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:14 AM   #23
BecauseIJustDid
Deactivated

BecauseIJustDid is on a distinguished road

We're super old fashioned. I am teaching my daughter phonetically. I have been since we taught her how to speak. It's way more fun to teach the right way from the start and see how fast they go. DD went to public for the first 5 mon. and she didn't get anything accomplished that had not already been taught at home. I can't imagine how far behind she was when we finally had it and pulled her (lot's of other reasons) out. She's now doing just fine and learning to read. Slow and steady wins the race. I liked reading when I was her age and was allowed to go at my own pace. I read everything with a cover on it as I grew up. Reading was the one thing public school couldn't be ruined for me.
BecauseIJustDid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #24
AdrienneQW
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

AdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It talked about word recognition and labeling things around the home. Also to have cards with family and pet names and use them in a flashcard style. I used that with my kids. Table, chair, refrigerator, stove, sink, tv, radio, etc. Everything in our home had a label on it.
Off topic, but I have to share this story. I was at a preschool once doing language assessments with some students and they had these types of labels on everything in the classroom... including one in the play kitchen that said "refridgerator".

(And if you don't get why that's funny, please have someone else write out the cards you use in your home).
Proud mama of Dexter (Feb 2002) and Celeste (April 2005)
Always loving Thomas William (03/04)
AdrienneQW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:05 AM   #25
Teacher Mom
Rose Garden

Teacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrienneQW
Quote:
It talked about word recognition and labeling things around the home. Also to have cards with family and pet names and use them in a flashcard style. I used that with my kids. Table, chair, refrigerator, stove, sink, tv, radio, etc. Everything in our home had a label on it.
Off topic, but I have to share this story. I was at a preschool once doing language assessments with some students and they had these types of labels on everything in the classroom... including one in the play kitchen that said "refridgerator".

(And if you don't get why that's funny, please have someone else write out the cards you use in your home).
I love when good intentions go wrong!!!!!! Too funny!

Teacher Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #26
joyfulmomof4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessmybirth
He just started reading the Bob Books (got 'em at Costco) and he's really proud, if he doesn't feel like he's getting anywhere with his reading "lesson" the Bob Books help him to realize he IS reading! He's on book 3 "Dot."
How much did the Costco set cost?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #27
greenishmama
Rose Trellis

greenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the rough

Is the author of Reading Made Easy Valerie Bendt ?

greenishmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #28
boysx3

DId you like hooked on phonics? I have though about it but wasn't sure.

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Did you like hooked on phonics? I have thought about using it.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #29
Call Her Blessed

Yes, Valerie Bendt is the author of Reading Made Easy. I have just completed this book with my son, who is 8. We took about 2 years to work through the entire book. What a sense of accomplishment he had upon its completion! I must say, we could have skipped off of it about half way through, because he was reading from other books by then. However, we continued using RME's lessons to increase his confidence and his reading skills.

I have also been using RME with my 6yo son and 4 yo son. It's funny how different each child is. There's much I could say about how each of them interacts with the material, but suffice it to say, that RME can be easily modified "on the fly" during each reading session with each child. I have found this book to be such an inexpensive, yet invaluable asset to me as a teaching mother.

As a side note, our daughter (who was an only child for 6.5 years) learned to read with NO curriculum or phonics instruction whatsoever. We simply read all the time, about everything we wanted to know about, she and I. She picked up on reading as a four year old. As life got so busy when we began having our sons (we now have 4 about 2 years apart) then there is no way that I could afford to spend the kind of one-on-one time that our daughter received. However, RME makes it easy to achieve simple daily progress, at each boy's level. They each enjoy this reading time with Mommy and I love experiencing their growth in reading skills with them.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #30
Liberated4Christ

Just wanted to put in a chime for Color Phonics. Alpha Omega puts it out and it is pretty cheap. Only $35 dollars for all 5 cds on the christian book site. My son really enjoys it, and it is fun he says.