Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can we talk about CORN?

I have not read the Omnivore's Dilemma but I know there is information about how unhealthy corn is. It's on my "to read" list . So I posted on FB about corn, asking if "organic" corn was okay. A friend didn't elaborate but said it was just awful for us and will kill us. Soooooooo, anyone care to enlighten this girl who hasn't done a lot of research on corn?
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we talk about CORN?

Corn is a high-calorie and nutritious grain crop that you most definitely want in a survival garden. It's sustained entire peoples for centuries in some parts of the world (usually in combination with beans, which compliment the nutrients in corn). Corn is not awful and is not unhealthy.

Because corn is such a high-energy and multi-purpose crop, it's one of the primary crops that science has tried to improve upon. They've done it through natural hybridization (completely safe, natural breeding and selection of plants), through hybridization in the lab (just speeding up natural breeding process) and by inserting genes and such from things that would not naturally cross with corn (animals, etc... not accepted as safe by all, including myself). It's the latter that scares people away from modern commercially farmed corn because it's so prevalent in the food supply.

"Organic" merely refers to how a plant is grown. If a plant is grown in ground that has not had synthetic chemicals added to it and no synthetic chemicals were used on the plant while it was growing, both the plant and the seeds produced by that plant can be slapped with the "organic" label and if the variety is established and stable and meets certain criteria, also the "heirloom" label. However, there are many pesticides that occur in nature and that are harmful to humans at certain levels. Organic growers are allowed to apply these pesticides with little regulation and because they're not as effective as their synthetic counterparts, they have to be applied to the crops more often. Organic doesn't always mean pesticide free, just synthetic pesticide free. You'd have to know the practices on that particular farm to know what you're actually getting and that's often not on the label in the grocery store. Organic doesn't always guarantee safe, although it's a lot more likely.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (05-12-2012), Damselfly (05-15-2012), gardenfreshmama (05-12-2012), Shutterbug (05-14-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

If you have Netflix you can watch Food Inc for lots of info. They don't appear to have King Corn on their instant list anymore, but you can get the dvd.

Basically two things have collided in our country (assuming you're in the US )

1) Corn has been "bred" and genetically engineered until it has almost no grain left in it (it isn't a vegetable like people imagine it to be--it is supposed to be a grain). It is now a sugar. Period. It has been bred to be a sugar source.

2) Government subsidies to corn growers has made corn cheaper to buy than it is to grow.

This means we have corn as sweetener in almost EVERYTHING. The list of hidden corn is even longer than the list of hidden gluten

I'm currently trying to tackle getting ALL corn out of our diet. I'm learning things about citric acid that leave me You can follow our journey at www.theluttonfamily.com

Last edited by ArmsOfLove; 05-12-2012 at 09:06 AM.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
knitlove (05-15-2012), Shutterbug (05-14-2012), simplegirl (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

a little Attachment Parenting will fix that

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

im interested in this too..

i always always buy organic corn. and avoid all corn sweeteners..

but this thought that corn is inherently unhealthy? am i hearing that from people? or are they just assuming that all corn is screwed up with GMO?
ISFP
SweetCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
im interested in this too..

i always always buy organic corn. and avoid all corn sweeteners..

but this thought that corn is inherently unhealthy? am i hearing that from people? or are they just assuming that all corn is screwed up with GMO?
yes--you are hearing that from people
no--I'm not assuming anything about this corn or that
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
SweetCaroline (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

It's still very easy to find and purchase the traditional corn varieties that have been neither naturally bred or genetically modified for higher sugar levels. Look for varieties marked 'SU'.

In increasing order of sugar content: sugary enhanced (SE), supersweet (SH2) and the most recent syergystic (SY) corn varieties are the ones I believe Crystal is referring to. Yes, they have been bred for higher sugar content, however the sugars in ALL corn varieties convert to starch after harvest, the traditional varieties fastest (within 30 minutes) and the SY varieties slowest. The higher the sugar content, the longer the corn stores and thus the more time the farmer has to get it to market in a fresh state. SE, SH2 and SY corn has all be hybridized through selection – none are transgenic. The genes that make the corn super sweet are recessive. Corn plants were bred over numerous generations until the recessive genes were stabilized. Hybridized corn that depends on recessive genes for it's sugar content must be grown in isolation for this reason; if it crosses with any other corn, the kernels revert to the dominant genes of the original plants.

I think it's grossly unfair to paint all corn with the same sweeping brush.

The problem is not with corn itself, but with the quantity of processed corn in the modern diet.

ETA: For example, an "organic" sweetener derived from corn would be unhealthy, even though it's organic. It's the processing that makes corn unhealthy.

Last edited by Macky; 05-12-2012 at 08:57 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
AnotherNamedKate (05-15-2012), ArmsOfLove (05-12-2012), gardenfreshmama (05-12-2012), Shutterbug (05-14-2012), simplegirl (05-12-2012), SweetCaroline (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

the problem I have is two-fold

1) because of the ABUNDANCE of corn in the modern diet and all products thereof, more and more people are finding themselves with sensitivities/allergies to corn--and it's almost impossible to find and avoid it all

and

2) the body doesn't know the difference between types of corn and the allergy isn't type specific

So once you have the problem, it doesn't matter what kind you get, you probably won't be able to eat it.

"Organic" doesn't always mean all the things we want it to mean. And unless you know all the hidden names of corn AND make almost everything from scratch, you *are* getting the nasty corn products you're trying to avoid. Citric acid--in all sorts of "allergy safe" and alternative foods as well as everything mainstream . . . corn (and a by-product of making corn syrup)
Old 05-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
Macky
Deactivated

I didn't realize we were talking about allergies. Of course, anyone with an allergy would have to avoid any occurance of the offending food.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
I didn't realize we were talking about allergies. Of course, anyone with an allergy would have to avoid any occurance of the offending food.
that's the angle I'm coming at it from

but because I'm coming at it from that angle I'm finding out how prevalent it is and how HIDDEN it is.

I'm not tying to paint "all corn" with a broad brush--I don't believe that *in our modern culture* with the way corn is handled, you can avoid all of the corn people are trying to avoid.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
BlessedBlue
Rose Garden

Have you ever heard a fly roar? Listen carefully!

BlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Macky, I see you live in Canada. Perhaps the labeling there is different. Here in the US labeling and packaging is abysmal. We don't have that specific of information on much of anything, and ESPECIALLY not corn. Corn is the protected darling of the US.

Some of us DO paint corn with a sweeping broad brush - because we are ALLERGIC to corn. It doesn't matter what variety or how it's grown.

And I'm because everything I've heard from conventional and non-conventional sources over the past 5 years of research on the subject of corn has stated that corn itself (fresh, from the garden) is very difficult for the body to digest and remove nutrients from. It is hard to grow - it depletes the soil. It is a water hog. When you to come in to strongly state that it is an essential survival food, it makes me wonder where that information came from. It's one thing for a marshy culture to grow the ancient corn varieties much like rice is grown, but I have a hard time believing that ALL people can benefit from having this as a survival crop. Could you please point me in the direction of some good resources about that? I'd love to expand my knowledge on corn.

sister to Blue-EyedLady since forever
wife to Trooper (Wounded Warrior) 3-98
Graphics designing sapphiremama to EBug 2-04, ABoo 2-06, and Goggle 8-09
BlessedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlessedBlue For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
gardenfreshmama
Rose Garden

Through my daughter's eyes...

gardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond repute

So if one were to plant their own corn to eat, whAt are good varieties to look for? I believe what we planted this year is "sweet ambrosia" or something like that.

I'm an INFP and I'm going to save the world! Well... maybe tomorrow. After I get some alone time and a cup of coffee... or maybe after ANNABEL (6.25), ASHER (3.5), and EMMELINE (1) are in school... once DEREK gets his culinary school loans paid off...
gardenfreshmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
Macky
Deactivated

Our eldest is allergic to apples, but I'm not going to go around telling people they're unhealthy, even though that's the angle I'm coming from.

It's already ten o'clock here and I have to get outside and actually get some work done on the garden before the day is gone. I will come back, though.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Our eldest is allergic to apples, but I'm not going to go around telling people they're unhealthy, even though that's the angle I'm coming from.

It's already ten o'clock here and I have to get outside and actually get some work done on the garden before the day is gone. I will come back, though.
Jef already pointed this out, but you're in Canada. You are experiencing corn VERY differently from what those in the US are experiencing.

If you were here in the US your child might be allergic to apples. She'd be more likely allergic to the undisclosed dairy products included in the wax put on the apples sold here.

And I echo Jef's questions about your opinion of corn. Can you provide some good resources? If there's another angle to the corn issue I'd love to read more about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
raining_kisses (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
Macky
Deactivated

Lynsey, any good seed catalogue will mark their corn varieties with on of those four designations in my previous post. The traditional varieties are marked SU.

BlessedBlue... I'm finding it difficult not to sit here longer. I've GOT to get outside! Corn is included in survival gardens because of it's high calorie content. Yes, corn can be a high-input crop if you choose to treat it that way and you're after the highest yields per plant. If you're taking care of your soil and working the stalks back in to compost, though, you're returning most of those inputs to the soil and all you really need is enough water to get it off to a good start and one or two applications of nitrogen, which can be naturally sourced (fish emulsion, blood meal, etc.). Corn is mostly a nitrogen hog. We get enough rainfall here that constant irrigation isn't necessary. I'm a firm believer that any crop that needs excessive special treatment to grow in a certain climate shouldn't be grown on a wide scale in that climate. Farmers don't grow corn (or melons or tomatoes or kiwi or...) here because our climate isn't suitable for commercial farming of it and because most farmers here do not irrigate (we're in the middle of the wide-open prairie). If corn is requiring THAT many inputs in areas of the US, that's a brilliant sign that Americans shouldn't grow so much of it. ANYTHING in excess is not good for you - corn, kale, carrots, whatever. I think we all can agree on that.

Carol Deppe wrote a book called Food in Uncertain Times: How to Grow and Store the Five Crops You Need to Survive. Many online sites that talk about the importance of corn as a survival food refer back to her research. I've not read her book myself, but I did find this interview online. As far as the nutrients of corn, you can find that easily with any search engine. Here's one that popped up on my quick search. K... going now, back later.

ETA: We get more than our fair share of processed foods from the US, so don't think we're entirely immune from your corn-based foods up here.

E(again)TA: Lynsey, I just typed "Ambrosia corn" into a Google search and the first link was to Park Seed. The description says it's a sugar-enhanced (SE) variety.

Last edited by Macky; 05-12-2012 at 09:50 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (05-12-2012), gardenfreshmama (05-12-2012), SweetCaroline (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, I'm not particularly coming at this question from an allergy standpoint, although I appreciate the input of this information as well. That said, I am not trying to get corn out of my diet, but am seeking to learn what is the better of corns to eat or choose. I've got Arrowmills organic popcorn kernels in my cabinet. I also love to get corn on the cob from the farmer's market. I would think that these "simplistic" and original forms of corn would be okay but it sounds like it may not be as well . I get that corn is in so many products but I'd probably be amazed to find everything it's in, like citric acid . Along with the trends of healthy eating, we've been avoiding HFC for awhile, but I'm really concerned here about eating the "whole" product of corn, and how harmful that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
She'd be more likely allergic to the undisclosed dairy products included in the wax put on the apples sold here.
We buy organic apples, but are you saying that if we happen to have a conventional apple, that I am subjecting my DS -with a dairy sensitivity- to dairy?!

I'm afraid to watch Food Inc I know I should, but I know I won't want to eat anything after that.
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to simplegirl For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (05-12-2012), gardenfreshmama (05-12-2012), ValiantJoy07 (05-12-2012)