Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-05-2005, 08:17 PM   #16
lovelymama

Default Re: What are some of your reasons to HS?

Quote:
I'm glad I posted that question
I'm glad you did too!

We are getting ready to start homeschool with my oldest and I was having serious self-doubt. I decided to log onto to GCM for a little encouragement and this was the first thread I found. I'm feeling really good about it again. This forum is such a blessing.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:16 PM   #17
Tex

Well I'll tell the big reasons I am considering homeschooling...

I don't want my child being influenced solely by peers and a stranger for the majority of the day 5 days a week
I want my child to have a 'curriculum' that is personalized
I want my child to be able to eat healthy foods and at leisure)
I want my child to have physical fitness play every day
Old 06-22-2005, 07:24 AM   #18
JavaMama
Rose Garden

JavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond repute

I have attended public school, private school and been homeschooled and homeschooling worked best for us. I believe it will be the same way for my children. I am very concerned about the morals (or lack thereof) being taught in the schools and the fact that SO much time is spent at school while little is accomplished.

If you're interested, here's my experiences:

I was homeschooled for pre-k through 1st grade. I started public school after my mom had two babies in 17 months and while my youngest brother was hospitalized for cancer and my experiences were NOT good. I was the only one in second grade who was already reading and I was bored a lot. I was a tiny little girl and a big bully boy picked me up (!) and basically body slammed me on the playground. He was not disciplined and the principal blamed it on hormones. !!!! I think that was 4th grade.

After that I spend two years (5th-6th grade) in a church school that used ACE curriculum. I really loved it as it allowed me to go at my own speed. I was ahead when we left the school... which we did only because we were moving out of state. Once we arrived in Indiana it was best to homeschool while we searched for a home so I was homeschooled for 7th and 8th grade. The summer following 8th grade I decided I really wanted to go to school again so my parents found another church run school for me to attend. I really didn't like it much and there was a boy who teased me a lot and I was basically told that I was egging him on. At the end of the first semester, my parents thankfully pulled me out and I finished out my schooling at home; with the exception of taking driver's ed and a semester of Spanish at the public high school as a non-traditional student. I passed my GED test (without studying ) shortly after my 18th birthday and two months before the school year ended. I already had a job at the local library, so I was able to move up from shelving books to a variety of other jobs requiring more skill.

A funny note, but our local library loves to hire homeschoolers!
Homebirthing mama and midwife

Always remembering my youngest brother JK, forever 14 months old
JavaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 04:12 AM   #19
mrsramjet

i say yes, mmmm. yep, aha.. etc to nearly all of these here.

the one i would like to add is that it comes (to me) as a natural extension of our parenting. (i am not saying it is the only "AP" "GBD" way to do things or anything like that)

and i LOVE that my life and the lives of my kids aren't cut up into little segments.
it's all cohesive. part of a whole.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:02 AM   #20
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

The thread about being able to afford homeschooling reminded me of some less obvious reasons.

Public school parents are expected to be involved--to help in the classroom, to help their children learn whatever their children couldn't understand in class (or what their teacher didn't have time for because she was too busy teaching about whatever the PC issue of the county made her teach). I've seen public school parents who put in as much time with their children's education (PTA meetings, cafeteria work, teacher's helper, and homework) as I do homeschooling. But they had no say about the education their child was receiving. It makes me wonder what they think their child is getting from school that's so valuable that they'd make that kind of sacrifice for it.

Public school parents have to pay for stuff when the public school tells them to. Not when it fits their budget, but when they get a note from the school. There are school supplies, suitable clothes, field trips, class pictures. Homeschooling parents spend money when they can. If they can't, there are ways of getting an education without money. They can use the library, for one thing. And homeschool parents never have to pressure their co-workers and distant family members to buy candy bars, candles or magazines to fund their school.

I liked the reason about being able to limit your child's diet, too.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #21
Katherine

Quote:
I liked the reason about being able to limit your child's diet, too.
Yeah, I'm glad somebody else mentioned diet. The fact that my ds is seriously allergic to all types of nuts (including peanuts.. where the allergens are actually airborne ) has been sort of an extra motivation for me to consider homeschooling. (He's still 3, so we haven't definitely decided yet, but I have am testing the "homeschooling waters" by starting some more structured art and preschool stuff with him.) Yes, I know there are plenty of nut-related dangers in other places.. the park.. restaurants, stores, church, social gatherings, etc. BUT.. I'm always somewhere close by with an epi-pen in hand, and I'm in the habit of being more aware than a teacher who has 25 or 30 kids to think about.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:31 PM   #22
JellyBeansSlingMom

Well we have had some problems with our daughetr in ps system for years. I mean yes she has learned a lot but the other stuff she is learning worries us more. My daughter is not as emotionally and socially mature as others her age and easily gets overwhelmed with the way other act and their interests at her age. We noticed she was writign love notes to boys because she thought thats what others do and just wanted to fit in. Since she is so nieve she is easily talked into doing anything someone dares her to do. This can be a very troubling thing. I have been for homeschooling for a while and was about to last year but hubby decided not to. After the occurances this year we both agree Hs would be best for Madalyn. a few reasons we have decided to not do ps this year is: repeated very stressful standardize tests (freaks her out and stresses family), bulling teachers to try to make you out your child in extra tutoring classes so their test results will be higher and they can get bonuses, child being left behind when they do not understand a skill, being made fun of by teacher and classmates when they do not understand a skill and have more questions, peer pressure, not having to do a bunch of school fundraisers, child not having to get up at 5 am to catch bus on time. and sooooo many more.

Marie
Old 08-04-2005, 06:05 PM   #23
jacq210

"I liked the reason about being able to limit your child's diet, too.
Yeah, I'm glad somebody else mentioned diet."

I wanted to say that in addition to diet being a good reason to home school, what about adding to the list the idea of being able to eat when you're hungry and use the bathroom when you need to? I know for me when I was growing up, you had to eat lunch when they told you it was lunch time even if you weren't hungry at that time.... and for me, I never went to the bathroom in school {until I got my monthly, that is...} - I would use the bathroom at home, go to school ALL DAY and not use the bathroom until after I got home. To this day, I don't like public toilets, but I now go and use them when I have to.....

~~ Jacqui
Old 08-09-2005, 09:55 AM   #24
mykidsmom

Oh, the list just keeps on growing.

1. We want them to have the best education. Learning at their level without any restrictions.
2. The socialization offered in public school is NOT something we want our children to learn from. Bullies and Peer Pressure are not required for healthy growth (although some think it's normal ).
3. It's hard to teach about loving Christ when they go school and learn about loving self. We usually don't have a problem loving ourselves, it's sort of human nature.
4. Say no to TRENDS. We really don't want our kids to be into trends, wondering why they don't have the newest whatever. Clothing, toys, beliefs, etc. It's materialistic and superficial.
5. SHARE. Our children will learn about sex from what we teach them, thank you. Also, kids in highschool are hormone crazed. I really don't want them to have to deal with all that comes with being around the harmone crazed opposite sex, six hours a day. I mean, I had guy a rub his you-know-what on me when we stood up to get off the bus(I clobbered him right away), or times when we were groped in a crowded hallway, or guys staring at your behind as you walked to the next class, or finding out one of your close friends was gay.... It's worse nowdays. Our youth group has told us some horrific stories.
6. Our kids are also kept "innocent" longer. Why should they have to grow up so fast?

This is just a short list of reasons. I find new reasons all the time.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:43 AM   #25
MylittleMandM

3. It's hard to teach about loving Christ when they go school and learn about loving self. We usually don't have a problem loving ourselves, it's sort of human nature.

Wow. This is really good. Thanks for that reminder.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:15 AM   #26
Piper2

Here's something that was in the directory from the homeschool expo I went to a few weeks ago. I don't necessarily agree with everything this woman says, but this was pretty good:

Quote:
...Homeschooling is not really about the kids, its about changing moms' hearts. Homeschooling propels a mom's heart toward her children...it is about changing self-centered and foolish women into moms whose feet are set firmly in principle and conviction as they to pour out their lives for their children.
(I know there's an odd "to" in there, but I'm staying true to the quote...)

Read the whole article here: http://www.homeschoolyellowpages.com...ticle.php?id=4
Old 08-24-2005, 03:20 PM   #27
Katherine

Wow.. Great quote. It reminds me of some of the things I've heard Joanne say on this board.. stuff like:

The more time parents spend away from their kids, the easier it gets to be away from them.

And various comments that refer to the fact that we have to *LEARN* how to be mothers/parents.. that we have to *develop* things like patience and tolerance, structure and organization, etc.

It was a great relief to me to hear someone SAY that these things don't always come naturally, and we have to learn them. The thing that makes me the most unsure of myself when I consider HSing is the thought that I am just not the right "kind of mom" or that I don't have adequate skills/resources to manage and educate my child properly.

Today while I was out running errands, HSing popped into my head and the thought that crossed my mind was that I want to experience life *with* my children. I genuinely love being around them. (the vast majority of the time, anyway. )
Old 08-29-2005, 10:31 AM   #28
Celeste

Very good points. Last year I subbed in public schools about a half a dozen times. I let my oldest son (who is about to graduate from Abilene Christian as an education major sub for the kids). I was shocked as an ex-public school teacher how much things had deteriorated. I highly recommend to anybody who is thinking about homeschooling to read The Well Trained Mind.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #29
Miss Priss

Quote:
I see an age appropriate innocence in homeschooled children that is absent in the conventionally schooled children that I know.

When we had dd#1's birthday party a few months ago, I remember one of the moms commenting to me, "T picked L out a baby doll. I wasn't sure about that, I told her that even though L was a year younger (8yo) that I didn't think she was still into baby dolls. But T insisted that L still really liked to play with baby dolls. I hope she's okay with her present." I replies that L indeed still loved to play with baby dolls, and she would love her gift. The other mom looked at me like...
Old 09-21-2005, 08:20 PM   #30
mykidsmom

Oh, I know it. I can see the difference. My cousin, 11 years old (HSed), still loves her American dolls. My SIL, 9 years old (PSed), doesn't play with anything and is completely boy crazy. I see it all the time.