Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talk to Me About Not Spanking and How.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryOfGrace View Post
Spanking and punishment taught me to:
-Lie. "I'm sorry I made you mad Mom. I'm sorry I did X." Really, I wasn't sorry. I just didn't want to be in trouble any more. I distinctly remember several times where I apologized and didn't mean it, just so I could get out of the punishment.
-My feelings didn't matter. I was just "the kid" and had no right or reason to be heard or understood.
-I deserved to be hurt. What a horrible dynamic to teach a child...really, think about it.

I could go on, but those are the big ones.
Except the lying I learned how to do was more along the lines of lying to not get caught in the first place. I'm a bad blatant liar, but I became extremely good at lying by omission - saying things that were *technically* true, but not really true.

You can read part of my story here: http://greenegem.wordpress.com/2010/...g-punishments/

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
CapeTownMommy (06-06-2012), Peridot (06-21-2012), Sparrow (06-06-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-06-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #17
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

I also grew up with some spankings, not too many. And you know what? Just now thinking, I don't think any of them came from my dad. THey were from my mom when she was angry and would swat me.

I only want(ed) to spank my children when I was mad at them. If I walked away and waited til I was calm the spanking seemed dumb and I could think of another way to teach them.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #18
StoryOfGrace
Rose Garden

INFP...Don't mind me!

StoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post
I also grew up with some spankings, not too many. And you know what? Just now thinking, I don't think any of them came from my dad. THey were from my mom when she was angry and would swat me.

I only want(ed) to spank my children when I was mad at them. If I walked away and waited til I was calm the spanking seemed dumb and I could think of another way to teach them.
Ditto!

"Nobody knows what we're for only what we're against when we judge the wounded.
What if we put down our signs, crossed over the lines, and loved like You did?
"
~Casting Crowns

StoryOfGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #19
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMamma View Post
Alright ladies, I'm ousting myself.
I was (am?) a firm believer in spanking - I grew up with infrequent spankings; I remember a few, but my Mum was always calm when she did it, and explained to me why she did afterward, and I always got warned before it happened.

When people would talk to me about spanking I would easily and honestly say: "I needed it." I knew I was the kind of kid who who only refrain from doing X if I knew I was going to get a spank. Having my Mum sit down with me at 3, and explaining the situation wouldn't stop me, I know myself enough to know that.
The only options aren't 'spank' 'time out alone' or 'talk the child to death' . There are a whole lot of other GBD tools out there to help children learn to listen to what we say . You might find this article helpful: GOYB Parenting (aka, how to teach without spanking OR 'overtalking'.

Quote:
So what do I do? What if I get a child like me?
Miss E is too tiny to even think about spanking, but what about when she is three?

How do I *not* spank?
You fill your parenting toolbox with many different strategies so that when situations arise, you have ways of addressing the situation and behavior that both set boundaries in the short run (protecting her and others) and also teaching in the long run. Parenting is a marathon, not a sprint, and GBD gives you the tools to do it well .

FWIW, I have two kids: 6 and 3. They have never been spanked. They both listen very well (DD is 3 so she definitely has her moments . I have a number of tools in my discipline toolbox that I learned on this site that help me to set boundaries and teach them. We have good relationships with each other and quite honestly spanking is sort of an irrelevant tool to me at this point . The only time I can see wanting to use it is when I'm really frustrated about something and not looking at the big picture.

You might also want to look into Playful Parenting - so many times parents think that all discipline has to be firm/harsh/stern and while that plays a role, it is NOT the only way to discipline and some kids respond a lot better to playful parenting (my DD is like that) .
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (06-06-2012), JenniferJuniper (06-06-2012), Persinette (06-22-2012), staceylayne (06-06-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-06-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #20
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up with spanking and am the only one in my family that is against spanking. I have a 23 month old that I have been advised to spank several times. I have managed to "fix" the behavior without spanking. Fixing it at times is a pain everywhere you carry tension, but it is so worth it. I do not agree that you cannot reason with little kids. You cannot reason with them the way you can reason with an adult, but little kids understand a lot more than they get credit for understanding. I can tell my daughter not to cross a land mark because she will fall and get hurt and that is it. I do not need to spank or threaten her. Now I do need to watch her, she is still a toddler and needs me to remind her not to get so close, but that is normal. I can tell her not to play with an object that should not have been left in her reach because it is dangerous and guess what. She talks me to death about it, but her hands stay away from it. But (there is always a but), I cannot demand or order her. I have to make it worth it to her. That might look like me having a dramatic over the top reaction to something to distract her, it might look like me asking her if she would like to do something else, it might look like me telling her that there is a favorite treat in the kitchen and she can have it if she puts down the object or something completely different. I could not have done that pre GCM. It would not ever have crossed my mind to use that to gain her compliance. (Oh sure I could do that so she did not cry, but I was the adult, she was going to obey me). That paradigm shift that the others have mentioned is crucial. That shift allowed me to see Ivy as a person that has needs that are as important as mine even if they seem irrational. Seeing she needed something instead of just trying on her power has kept the power struggles out of our home. (Most of the time,though sometimes J or I have to step in for the other before we do something we regret). I know that I battle my parents daily and sometimes hourly because they were going to win. I knew that I would lose, but I was not going down without a fight. It is a vicious cycle. If you don't change your mind set, then I don't see how you will parent gently. (But that is just me, so take that with a grain of salt). Crystal's blog was a huge help for me in learning how to shift my mind set. Herma Linda and Peridot also have great blogs that were also huge eye openers for me. I have a few other thoughts on this, but Ivy needs me.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
a good book under a tree (06-06-2012), JenniferJuniper (06-06-2012), staceylayne (06-06-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #21
allisonlindberg

What helped me the most was learning about what behaviors are normal for the child's age so that my expectations were reasonable.

I never planned on spanking (I wasn't spanked as a kid) and my husband was supportive up front. My problem is screaming. I get incredibly angry and out of control. When I get this way, I have to remind myself that I am an adult and they are small children, so if I can't control myself, neither can they. We work together to have them listen more and me be more calm. It is a constant process of learning and growing.

I have hit my kids before out of anger (not a spanking as punishment, just a lashing out of anger and frustration).

I am firm believer in apologizing out loud to your child when you screw up (hit, yell, break rules,etc). They know that I am human and make mistakes and am trying to do better every day (which is what I expect of them)
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (06-06-2012), JenniferJuniper (06-06-2012), JustMandy (06-06-2012), Lily (06-06-2012), Persinette (06-22-2012), rjy9343 (06-06-2012), Snugglebugmom (06-22-2012), Sparrow (06-06-2012), staceylayne (06-06-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-06-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #22
Calee
Deactivated

Calee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond reputeCalee has a reputation beyond repute

Calee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #23
JustMandy
Deactivated

Location: Among the tall straight pines of the coastal plain.
JustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's really great that you are looking for ways to parent with out spanking before you are faced with the problem of not wanting to spank but not having another plan.

There's some great advice here.

For me, parenting is about raising awesome adults, not easy kids. Spanking may help get the behavior you want now but what about later? I don't want my kids to make decisions based on the fear of doing something wrong but the desire to do what is right.

It's a lot of work. You will do much more redirecting, more explaining, more "setting them up for success" but it is so worth it. (Says the mama who spanked for years and really likes my kids more now that we've been mostly punishment free for a couple years.)
JustMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JustMandy For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (06-06-2012), Codi (06-06-2012), JenniferJuniper (06-06-2012), L-Boogie (06-08-2012), Llee (06-06-2012), Persinette (06-22-2012), rjy9343 (06-06-2012), Sparrow (06-06-2012), staceylayne (06-06-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-06-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #24
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
The best way for you to start is to spend time reading in the Gentle Discipline forum. You can also check out my site at www.aolff.org. There's a reading list in the FAQ for the GD forum.

This site is against punishment--not just spanking--so the answer isn't finding other things that make them miserable There is no reason to try and make a child suffer as though that is the only way they can learn.

ETA: Discipline means to teach . . . so you teach.
Crystal, I cant find your FAQ section. I would love a list of books to read....
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #25
Lily
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Lily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonlindberg View Post
I have to remind myself that I am an adult and they are small children, so if I can't control myself, neither can they.
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #26
Happygrl
Rose Garden

Happygrl has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
You can also check out my site at www.aolff.org. There's a reading list in the FAQ for the GD forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord View Post
Crystal, I cant find your FAQ section. I would love a list of books to read....
The FAQ is the GD Info/FAQ forum here, not her website. Here's a direct link to the book list thread and here is the link to that forum.

Wife to Jim 01/08/00
Mama to Elizabeth 10/01/04, Benjamin 01/27/08 and Matthew 04/25/10

Facebook
Happygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Happygrl For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (06-06-2012), JenniferJuniper (06-06-2012), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-07-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #27
allisonlindberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMandy View Post
For me, parenting is about raising awesome adults, not easy kids. Spanking may help get the behavior you want now but what about later? I don't want my kids to make decisions based on the fear of doing something wrong but the desire to do what is right.
I ALWAYS have to remind myself that what I am doing to to help mold a great adult that I would want to be around later....

empathetic, follows rules but knows when to question authority (not just a sheep following the herd), a listener, assertive, loving and gentle, tells the truth (not just to avoid trouble)

IMO, these characteristics can be lost or not fostered when a child is raised in a fear-based environment. I have many friends whose kids are very well behaved (like robots), but I will guarantee when the children are grown, they will not be the leaders of the world, assertive and possibly not empathetic enough.

I also have to remind myself the the really hard characteristics of my 3 spirited kids are wonderful traits in a adult, just really hard to parent.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
JustMandy (06-06-2012), Persinette (06-22-2012), staceylayne (06-06-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-06-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #28
blessedmamaofmany
Deactivated

I love my life.

blessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond repute

blessedmamaofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #29
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMandy View Post
I think it's really great that you are looking for ways to parent with out spanking before you are faced with the problem of not wanting to spank but not having another plan.

There's some great advice here.

It's a lot of work. You will do much more redirecting, more explaining, more "setting them up for success" but it is so worth it. (Says the mama who spanked for years and really likes my kids more now that we've been mostly punishment free for a couple years.)
May is quote the bolder? it is SO well said.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #30
JustMandy
Deactivated

Location: Among the tall straight pines of the coastal plain.
JustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
May is quote the bolder? it is SO well said.
Yes, share away.
JustMandy is offline   Reply With Quote