Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
StewardofLOs
Rose Trellis

"What if Your blessings come through raindrops? What if Your healing comes through tears?"

StewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant future
Talking rebuttal to "God punishes his children"

I interjected myself into a discussion DH and a mutual friend were having on facebook about this topic. I could have debated Scripture, but I didn't have the time or inclination so I just decided to write what I know:

I have never been punished by God, though I have certainly deserved it many times over, and I never will be. That is the definition of grace. How can I, except in my imperfection, extend anything less to others - including and especially my children?

What do you ladies think? Strangely enough, I haven't received a response....

And I'm curious: how would/have you responded to someone making that statement?

married 12 yrs to DH
ENFP, T1
currently battling hemeralopia-induced blindness and chronic pain for the 3rd time

mama to five:
10.5yo DS (my serious T4)
8yo DD (my sparkly T1)
3.5yo DD (my precious T2)
one I will hold in heaven

StewardofLOs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to StewardofLOs For This Useful Post:
breezy88 (06-24-2012), hey mommy (06-20-2012), PrincessAnika (06-20-2012), Rugayatu (06-20-2012), ruhama (06-22-2012), Zooey (06-22-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
bolt.
Rose Trellis

bolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rebuttal to "God punishes his children"

I think it is excellent. A brief and compelling argument to bring people back to God as He is in their own spiritual lives.

However, it will probably confuse people who believe that punishment and discipline are two words for the same thing. I think it will be read as, "I don't think God disciplines me in any way." -- which isn't what you are saying at all, but people tend not to be very good at nuances of words, and they accuse you of 'arguing semantics' if you try to clarify.

Pam, 35 yo
Christian for 20 y
Married for 15 y
Mother to "J" 8 yo, and "M" 5 yo
INTJ, DYT 4, Canadian
1 more class until I'm done at Seminary
Adjunct Faculty at a Bible College
bolt. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bolt. For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (06-21-2012), homesteadmama (06-21-2012), MercyInDisguise (06-21-2012), SweetCaroline (06-21-2012)
The Following User Says they are praying for bolt.:
tigerlily (06-21-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
StewardofLOs
Rose Trellis

"What if Your blessings come through raindrops? What if Your healing comes through tears?"

StewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant future

True
However, in this convo, the other person had just stated that God disciplines her, including using punishments...
I could have asked her to clarify, but I didn't want it to turn into a "well your interpretation of your experience is wrong" kind of thing

And I love arguing semantics, especially after taking a semester course on the history of the English language with a final assessment requiring us to write a 10-20 page research paper on a word...

married 12 yrs to DH
ENFP, T1
currently battling hemeralopia-induced blindness and chronic pain for the 3rd time

mama to five:
8yo DD (my sparkly T1)

Old 06-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

I think your response was great!

I always find it interesting that the people who believe God punishes them get "spanked" every week and the people who don't believe that..... don't.

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (06-21-2012), ArmsOfLove (06-20-2012), Domina (06-21-2012), homesteadmama (06-21-2012), rjy9343 (06-21-2012), StewardofLOs (06-20-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-27-2012), Zooey (06-22-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I think your response was excellent!

I also think that some people have to spiritualize everything in such a way that "natural consequences" to bad choices become "God's punishments", etc. I'm not sure if they are trying to avoid responsibility for the natural consequences, or avoid learning the inherent lesson presented to them by the situation, or if this is just another manifestation of victim-status.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (06-21-2012), CJNeeley (06-29-2012), Domina (06-21-2012), dulce de leche (06-20-2012), Elyse221 (06-21-2012), homesteadmama (06-21-2012), MercyInDisguise (06-21-2012), movinforward (06-21-2012), NewCovenantMama (06-22-2012), PrincessAnika (06-20-2012), Rugayatu (06-21-2012), StewardofLOs (06-20-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012), Zooey (06-22-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
I think your response was excellent!

I also think that some people have to spiritualize everything in such a way that "natural consequences" to bad choices become "God's punishments", etc. I'm not sure if they are trying to avoid responsibility for the natural consequences, or avoid learning the inherent lesson presented to them by the situation, or if this is just another manifestation of victim-status.
I always saw it as a logical conclusion to the punitive mindset. After all if you believe that God wants us to spank our kids when sin, then it makes perfect sense that God will spank you when you sin.
But now that you mention it, those who get the spankings are the ones who seem to be (I know this is a bad word choice, but I cannot think of a better way to say it) over churched and insist on blessing others or that they are blessed by x and stuff like that are the ones that stay in the wood shed.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-15-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #7
Domina
Rose Garden

Domina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
I've always wondered about this. But when I've said that, "Well, that's just life...no need to blame God..." I've been accused of deism.

Beaming mama to Sumo since 2010.
Addicted to , curry and my Kindle.

Martyrs make lousy lovers and party guests. ~ Michael Flocker
Domina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
bolt.
Rose Trellis

bolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond repute

Some people with a 'wide' (I don't know if that is the right word) view of God, including a sense of 'providence' (even if they don't use that word) tend to think that 'natural consequences' are intentionally set up by God, not necessarily on an individual punitive basis, but as a broad-scale punishment that people trigger by their behaviour.

Since God did design the whole world, including what-leads-to-what, I can see where they are coming from when they basically equate "God set the world up so it painfully punishes people who behave badly, because it was His will to design things that way" -with- "God intentionally punishes people who behave badly, using circumstantial painful things to show His will".

However logical that is, and however long people have bought in to it (since OT times, really), it's still not right. The truth is that God designed the world to run well when people and things are in relationship with Him. When people reject that relationship, they die in the 'inner person' and the whole world stops running well.

The more unrighteous things a person does, the more likely (but not necessarily) they are to encounter direct results of the world 'not running well' in their own life and sphere. That's not happening because God 'wants it that way' -- it's happening because God respects our choices enough to let the consequences of our choices (mostly) run their course in the world He gave us to rule.

I see Him in grief-and-empathy over this, our own mess -- not as a harsh zapper-of-sinners. He still has/had choices.

1. He could not respect our choice to reject relationship with Him (treating us as beasts without basic freedom),

2. He could use His power to drastically limit the effects of our unrighteousness (depriving us of the agency to actually effect our own reality),

3. He could not limit the effects of our choice to reject Him *at all* (mercilessly allowing us to physically die at the moment we sin), and even *that* wouldn't be punishment, because death is the perfectly ordinary natural consequence of rejecting relationship with He who is the source of our very life. We only live past the moment of sin by His *mercy* -- and the choice to not apply mercy 100% of the time is not 'punitive'.

4. He could act as our teacher, showing and telling us how to live in righteous ways and establishing an autocratic relationship with a group of people in order to induce us to sometimes choose righteousness (out of respect for our relationship with Him) and to help us take it seriously when we fail to do so,

- or -

5. He can rescue us by salvation in extravagent grace, re-making us in freedom, from the inside out and establishing a 'fortress' of righteous people (and the consequences of their choices) in a hostile, dying world.

You can see evidence of most of those strategies throughout the Bible (except #1), but the impressive offer of extravagant grace of salvation is by far the most glorious.

Pam, 35 yo
Christian for 20 y
Married for 15 y
Mother to "J" 8 yo, and "M" 5 yo
INTJ, DYT 4, Canadian
1 more class until I'm done at Seminary
Adjunct Faculty at a Bible College
bolt. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bolt. For This Useful Post:
Annesil (06-21-2012), bentlaj11 (06-21-2012), Elyse221 (06-21-2012), rjy9343 (06-21-2012), Rugayatu (06-21-2012), StewardofLOs (06-21-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-27-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt. View Post
Some people with a 'wide' (I don't know if that is the right word) view of God, including a sense of 'providence' (even if they don't use that word) tend to think that 'natural consequences' are intentionally set up by God, not necessarily on an individual punitive basis, but as a broad-scale punishment that people trigger by their behaviour.

Since God did design the whole world, including what-leads-to-what, I can see where they are coming from when they basically equate "God set the world up so it painfully punishes people who behave badly, because it was His will to design things that way" -with- "God intentionally punishes people who behave badly, using circumstantial painful things to show His will".

I see it more like this:

God created gravity. If you attempt to defy gravity and jump up, you will fall down. (We'll ignore the invention of airplanes for the sake of argument here. )

God created rain. If you walk outside and stand in the rain you will get wet.

God created certain spiritual laws. If you defy them or walk outside of his protection, you will suffer the consequences. Sometimes the consequences are only a short fall or a drizzle that barely fazes you. Sometimes, you fall down 10 flights of stairs or get drenched.

When that happens, you can choose to learn from it or choose to climb right back up the stairs and throw yourself down again.

Whether it's with gravity or rain or spiritual laws, God set these things up, but it's our choices that either enact the consequences or not. God's not Zeus sitting atop Mt. Olympus with lightening bolts.

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (06-21-2012), Christina+5 (06-22-2012), CJNeeley (06-29-2012), Elyse221 (06-21-2012), NewCovenantMama (06-22-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012), Zooey (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
ruhama
Deactivated

Jumping off the hot tin roof.

ruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm tired and a little ranty, so here's my whole-hearted agreement with the OP:

I completely agree and also haven't had anyone argue back at me when I make that point. People just don't know what to say.

Even if someone believes that God has designed the universe with built-in punishments, then aren't they saying he didn't do a good enough job by "piggy-backing" their own punishments onto his? They're interrupting the learning experience! Sorta like if you decided to run on some wet sidewalk & started to fall. If someone caught you then punched you in the face b/c you were "doing something dangerous" and THEY needed to "teach you a lesson" about safety - how weird and confusing would that be? You'd walk away being all like - dude that guy's a nutjob! But if they just caught you, you'd walk away with a sense that you'd overestimated your own agility and should probably be more careful next time. It's all about recognizing - oh *I* made a bad decision, not "this other person says I made a bad decision."

I blogged about this recently and came to the conclusion that the world has enough pain in it to teach the lessons it demands. My job is to point my kids toward God & model to them the path toward closer relationship with him.
ruhama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ruhama For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (06-23-2012), CJNeeley (06-29-2012), Elyse221 (06-23-2012), PlateauMama (06-23-2012), saturnfire16 (06-22-2012), StewardofLOs (06-22-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-27-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfire16 View Post
I see it more like this:

God created gravity. If you attempt to defy gravity and jump up, you will fall down. (We'll ignore the invention of airplanes for the sake of argument here. )

God created rain. If you walk outside and stand in the rain you will get wet.

God created certain spiritual laws. If you defy them or walk outside of his protection, you will suffer the consequences. Sometimes the consequences are only a short fall or a drizzle that barely fazes you. Sometimes, you fall down 10 flights of stairs or get drenched.

When that happens, you can choose to learn from it or choose to climb right back up the stairs and throw yourself down again.

Whether it's with gravity or rain or spiritual laws, God set these things up, but it's our choices that either enact the consequences or not. God's not Zeus sitting atop Mt. Olympus with lightening bolts.
This reminds me of something that a former pastor used to say: "If you jump off the Empire State Building, the law of gravity doesn't care if you're Mother Teresa or Adolf Hitler; you still hit the sidewalk".
I remember it used to drive him crazy that so many people never make the connection between cause & effect; because that ends with them blaming God for things that happen because we live in a world which is less than perfect.......
Elyse221 (06-23-2012), rjy9343 (06-22-2012), StewardofLOs (06-23-2012), Virginia (07-15-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
iwillhope
Rose Blossom

iwillhope is just really niceiwillhope is just really niceiwillhope is just really niceiwillhope is just really niceiwillhope is just really nice

I am so happy to be here and to be reading all this! My life seems to have been a continuous train wreck with me searching for that perfect relief from it all. Growing up with almost Pearl style training, then becoming an adult and floundering in my AP style and knowing in my heart that those type parenting techniques aren't right but battling with family about it (being the oddball and outsider it seemed), and I made one bad decision after another trying to gain unconditional love and acceptance on earth from a human being. As a result of these bad decisions are natural consequences. And God just wanted me to learn HIS unconditional love for me.

However, I get sooooooooooooooo tired of things be said about me by my loved ones "sin takes you farther than you want to go, keeps you longer than you want to stay, and makes you pay more than you want to pay." While that is true, I also believe that GOD called me to this road and had it not been for this road I would not be where i am today. And it frustrates me more b/c this same person has sin as well that has led to natural consequences but you can see that sin and it's effect. However, mine are blaring for the world to see. There is no difference. And I kind of would like to say something but then don't want to rock the boat b/c I have rocked it so much in my past and it gets ugly.

I did believe in God punishing b/c that is what I was taught...but He doesn't? does He. God draws us with loving kindness, not with a paddle beating our rear ends! Keep writing ladies, because I am listening and learning! With a HUGE OPEN HEART!
iwillhope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iwillhope For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (06-23-2012), LearningMama (06-23-2012), saturnfire16 (06-23-2012), StewardofLOs (06-23-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-27-2012), Zooey (06-23-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for iwillhope:
rjy9343 (06-23-2012), Zooey (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
StewardofLOs
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwillhope View Post
I did believe in God punishing b/c that is what I was taught...but He doesn't? does He. God draws us with loving kindness, not with a paddle beating our rear ends! Keep writing ladies, because I am listening and learning! With a HUGE OPEN HEART!

I was reminded of this verse recently (because the song was playing in my head )

Romans 2:4: Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance, and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness leads you to repentance? (NIV)

Glad you're here!

married 12 yrs to DH
ENFP, T1

mama to five:
8yo DD (my sparkly T1)

The Following User Says Thank You to StewardofLOs For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (06-23-2012)