Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:21 AM   #31
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Under Loving Command"

I am willing to get on board with the idea that we train our children because I think that train and teach are more or less semantics. I have taught Ivy that I will always come when she calls. I have trained Ivy to believe that I will come when she calls. I have taught Ivy that she must comply, with or with out my help. I have trained Ivy to comply with or without help. I really think that training has a icky connotation because punitive parenting is all about training for first time obedience and keeping kids in their place. But we have trained our children how our home works and (in theory) to obey the house rules. But we are not using force in the sense that we are hurting or threatening our children. Ivy will comply with the rules, end of story. But how we gain her compliance looks different from punitive parents. For example Ivy is not to get into my wallet. If I forget to put my purse out of her reach, then I simply remind her to leave my wallet alone and ask her for it. If she will not give it to me, I take it from her and give her something that is okay for her to open and take apart. I don't hit her hand or tell her she is being bad or anything like that. Ivy is not supposed to climb into the book shelf. We have a door on it that we thought would keep her out of it. When she gets into it, we pull her away and play with her. If we see her go for it, we give her the option of walking away from it without our help. If she chooses our help, then we take her away from it.
But I am not willing to get on board with the idea that I must use the rod to train or teach her. I don't like it when I hear that she runs things or that she rules the roost. A couple of nights ago, my husband's ceo remarked that she is the ruler of our home. I responded that as her spokeswoman, I had a list of requirements for the next place we live and named them. (A town with a large number of gcms may have been named).I did hear another reference to hickory tea or other ick that or the next night.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #32
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjy9343 View Post
I am willing to get on board with the idea that we train our children because I think that train and teach are more or less semantics. .....
But I am not willing to get on board with the idea that I must use the rod to train or teach her. ......
While in essence I possibly agree with you - it's semantics - but in realiaty words have meaning beyond their dictionary foundation. Within this community, the word 'train' has baggage placed on it by Pearl, Ezzo and their ike to mean things that teach don't. I could see where the situation might have been reversed - if the puniitive oppressors of children had taken a 'I'll teach them to ever hesitate to obey with a thick rod' - but they didn't. If you were to say here at GCM or in the mainstream Christian world beyond: 'I train my child to do x' then there is a socially tied connotation to that word choice that says 'I train my child to do x, and I punish him if he does not'. What we mean and what is culturally understood are not always the same.

The closest comparison I have is the word 'comrad'. In essence it means friend, companion. Socially, it's tied to communism and oppression.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
newday (01-12-2012), NewLeaf (01-12-2012), rjy9343 (01-12-2012), Zooey (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #33
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
While in essence I possibly agree with you - it's semantics - but in realiaty words have meaning beyond their dictionary foundation. Within this community, the word 'train' has baggage placed on it by Pearl, Ezzo and their ike to mean things that teach don't. I could see where the situation might have been reversed - if the puniitive oppressors of children had taken a 'I'll teach them to ever hesitate to obey with a thick rod' - but they didn't. If you were to say here at GCM or in the mainstream Christian world beyond: 'I train my child to do x' then there is a socially tied connotation to that word choice that says 'I train my child to do x, and I punish him if he does not'. What we mean and what is culturally understood are not always the same.

The closest comparison I have is the word 'comrad'. In essence it means friend, companion. Socially, it's tied to communism and oppression.
I completely agree with you. I don't use train in the child rearing sense because it has been warped into something that it is not. Not unlike discipline which is another word I don't like to use for the same reason. (But that could just be my baggage). Just as I taught Ivy to trust me, I could also say that Ivy has been disciplined to trust me. But that makes me feel sick just typing it. I threw out the train/teach words to high light how it has been twisted. I hope that intent was clear and not taken to mean that I was defending them somehow.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (01-12-2012), newday (01-12-2012), Zooey (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #34
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I completely agree with you. I don't use train in the child rearing sense because it has been warped into something that it is not. Not unlike discipline which is another word I don't like to use for the same reason. (But that could just be my baggage). Just as I taught Ivy to trust me, I could also say that Ivy has been disciplined to trust me. But that makes me feel sick just typing it. I threw out the train/teach words to high light how it has been twisted. I hope that intent was clear and not taken to mean that I was defending them somehow.
No, no...knew you weren't defending them. My point was more the 'unofficial' and often 'unspoken' meanings that come with some words. I suppose because sometimes we have had new posters come here and use perfectly normal terminology without knowing that they are setting alarm bells off left and right, so it's just something I am more aware of.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #35
NewLeaf
Deactivated
I support GCM!

NewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
After that the Lord gave us the grace to use the rod whenever our son did not obey.
Nice.
NewLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewLeaf For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (01-14-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #36
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, NewLeaf, that sentence makes no logical sense. What kind of grace punishes every offense?
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (01-14-2012), Tasmanian Saint (01-14-2012), Zooey (01-13-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #37
kbchavez
Seedling Rose

kbchavez has a spectacular aura aboutkbchavez has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekind View Post
Yes, NewLeaf, that sentence makes no logical sense. What kind of grace punishes every offense?
That sentence makes me think of the parable where the man who is forgiven a great debt goes and (assaults?) someone who owes him a much lesser amount. It's as though the parents ,like the man in the parable are saying, "Whoopee! I've been spared the punishment I deserve, so now I'm free to go pass judgment on you and mete out what YOU deserve.". Instead of being humbled by the grace and passing it on. It's just so icky, IMO.
kbchavez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kbchavez For This Useful Post:
6boysmom (01-19-2012), dulce de leche (01-19-2012), katiekind (01-19-2012), LearningMama (01-19-2012), NeshamaMama (01-19-2012), rjy9343 (01-19-2012), saturnfire16 (01-19-2012), StewardofLOs (01-25-2012), Tasmanian Saint (01-19-2012), Zooey (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #38
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchavez View Post
That sentence makes me think of the parable where the man who is forgiven a great debt goes and (assaults?) someone who owes him a much lesser amount. It's as though the parents ,like the man in the parable are saying, "Whoopee! I've been spared the punishment I deserve, so now I'm free to go pass judgment on you and mete out what YOU deserve.". Instead of being humbled by the grace and passing it on. It's just so icky, IMO.
You hit the nail on the head.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #39
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammaof3 View Post
I can not even believe this happens.......I swatted my daughters hand and sobbed right along with her, I apologized, but I still felt like such a failure I can not even fathom how people can think that this is what God wants. How could that even come to mind.....Do these mothers get beat by their husbands too???
Unfortunately in some circles, yes. It's called Christian Domestic Discipline and the husbands literally spank the wives.

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #40
rjy9343
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfire16 View Post
Unfortunately in some circles, yes. It's called Christian Domestic Discipline and the husbands literally spank the wives.
A lot of the language you read in literature like this is also in Christian Domestic Discipline literature as well. Reading it was heart breaking and nauseating at the same time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (01-21-2012), Zooey (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #41
kbchavez
Seedling Rose

kbchavez has a spectacular aura aboutkbchavez has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Yikes! What circles are those? I've learned of a lot of sick stuff that goes on in some churches here on GCM, but I didn't know about this! I guess I shouldn't be surprised though... There's probably some who still believe there's nothing wrong with slavery, either...
kbchavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #42
Beautiful Chaos
Rose Trellis

I live a wonderfully chaotic life!

Beautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
WOW,that is such a distorted view
Madeline(04)
Quin(08)
<>< <>< <><
Imaginations Creations
You will win sweet mamma!!!
facebook me

Trimming the fat 4 life
formerly known as mammaof3
Beautiful Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #43
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A lot of the language you read in literature like this is also in Christian Domestic Discipline literature as well. Reading it was heart breaking and nauseating at the same time.
An example is the Spencer Plan.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (01-19-2012), dulce de leche (01-21-2012), rjy9343 (01-20-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #44
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

I've never seen this before. How messed up!

I just got to the part where they are talking about how they will continue to use the "rod" on their daughter as a teenager.

It's still hard to accept that people actually live like this.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #45
Beautiful Chaos
Rose Trellis

I live a wonderfully chaotic life!

Beautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond repute

"3.--A spanking must never be administered in anger. Wait until both parties are calm and it can be carried out properly."
SERIOUSLY?!?!!? The issue is OVER why spank when the issue is OVER
I am not saying spanking in anger is ok, but when it is over...
Madeline(04)
Quin(08)
<>< <>< <><
Imaginations Creations
You will win sweet mamma!!!
facebook me

Trimming the fat 4 life
formerly known as mammaof3
Beautiful Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote