Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is Dobson better with older kids (tween & up)?

one handed now so i'll expand tomorrow, but the pastor quoted Dobson in the service yesterday and I liked what he said. I know that there can be good among the bad & punitive stuff, but it made me wonder if he was more on track with older kids or if he was a "broken watch" (you know, still right twice a day).

post 5 has more.

Last edited by klpmommy; 10-18-2011 at 05:52 AM.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 AM   #2
klpmommy
Deactivated

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Dobson better with older kids (tween & up)?

Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 AM   #3
melliethepooh
Rose Garden

Dinosaurs are people too

melliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond repute

Um...what did he say?

I don't think my Dobson-influenced parents had any more luck using him on me as a teen...
melliethepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #4
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute

Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:51 AM   #5
klpmommy
Deactivated

I have 2 hands!!!

The basic story was that there was a mom who was telling Dr. Dobson that she and her 12 y/o dd had been having the worst year ever, fighting constantly. He asked what was going on and she said that her dd wanted to shave her legs but mom felt that she was too young. Dr. Dobson's basic response was that while he understood, making this a point to ruin a relationship over was not worth it and to let her shave her legs. Save this kind of "battle" over the big things like drugs.

It just made me wonder if his stuff for older kids was better or if it was one of the good things mixed in with the punitive stuff.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #6
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

I read his stuff for olders when I was in my late teens/early 20s and it seemed to fit in pretty well for what I wished far, at that age. Deborah Tannen's book "You're Wearing That?" was much better at maintaining relationship between my mom and I--we both read it and began to understand each other a lot more.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (10-20-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
teamommy
Rose Garden

Spring!

teamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond repute

Could be, because I have thought he actually has a few good things to say, and if you get rid of the spanking and adversarial stuff for the younger kids, then maybe?
teamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #8
mommy9994
Rose Bush

mommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of light

I would say out of all of them out there, if you take out the punitive stuff, Dobson is the best. I would say that Tripp has some good points too, but his bare butt spanking is too creepy for me to get past

striving to be a gentler mommy to
Alekzandr
Charles
Aliana
Rebekah
Lydia
trusting the Lord for any future children.
Feel free to pm me about food allergies, eczema, complementarian marriage, homeschooling, breastfeeding, large family...
mommy9994 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mommy9994 For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (10-20-2011), SortaCrunchy (10-23-2011), Zooey (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light

I think the key phrase is "save this kind of battle" -- no matter the age, Dobson promotes an adversarial relationship -- parent vs. child. Even though letting her shave her legs to save the relationship seems like a great idea, it's not left at that -- the last direction feels like an urging to store up your ammo to force your way on them in bigger "battles".
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to jandjmommy For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (10-18-2011), Castle On A Cloud (10-18-2011), Chaos Coordinator (10-18-2011), Leen (10-18-2011), mwwr (10-20-2011), Niphredil (10-18-2011), PrincessAnika (10-18-2011), Quiteria (10-18-2011), ReedleBeetle (10-20-2011), SortaCrunchy (10-23-2011), Sparrow (10-18-2011), Tasmanian Saint (10-20-2011), tazmom (10-18-2011), TraceMama (10-18-2011), Zooey (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
jenn3514
Rose Garden

Be assured, God is in the details.

jenn3514 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandjmommy View Post
I think the key phrase is "save this kind of battle" -- no matter the age, Dobson promotes an adversarial relationship -- parent vs. child. Even though letting her shave her legs to save the relationship seems like a great idea, it's not left at that -- the last direction feels like an urging to store up your ammo to force your way on them in bigger "battles".
Interesting view point. I often will say "this is not my hill" or "this isn't worth the battle".(things like temporary hair dye, wearing snow boots in June) I don't use it as me vs. them, it's more like, well there are so many things that I do stand firm on, if he/she wants to do this then that's OK.
jenn3514 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to jenn3514 For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (10-18-2011), CelticJourney (10-20-2011), hey mommy (10-18-2011), jandjmommy (10-21-2011), klpmommy (10-18-2011), MaybeGracie (10-18-2011), mommy9994 (10-18-2011), MomtoJGJ (10-18-2011), PrincessAnika (10-18-2011), SortaCrunchy (10-23-2011), Sparrow (10-18-2011), StoryOfGrace (10-18-2011), SweetCaroline (10-18-2011), Virginia (10-23-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #11
klpmommy
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn3514 View Post
Interesting view point. I often will say "this is not my hill" or "this isn't worth the battle".(things like temporary hair dye, wearing snow boots in June) I don't use it as me vs. them, it's more like, well there are so many things that I do stand firm on, if he/she wants to do this then that's OK.
I've heard "pick your battles" used in non punitive homes and on this site as well.

Just in case, I'm not planning on using Dobson materials or anything, I was truly surprised at the particular passage the pastor quoted and it made me wonder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klpmommy For This Useful Post:
jandjmommy (10-21-2011), StoryOfGrace (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #12
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say that "save this kind of battle" is necessarily an adversarial thing... There are many times I "pick my battles" with the kids. Some things are just what I would prefer, and others are life and death (or if nothing else very serious)... like I would imagine with a teen that shaving legs would be on my preference list while something like staying out until who knows when and drinking/drugs would be on my life and death rules list. In that case I would "pick my battle" and not fight them over something that was MY preference, but I would stand firm on something that could be potentially dangerous.

Like right now, with my little ones... It's not a battle I choose to fight to make sure they never do something stupid in the yard (like climbing a flimsy looking tree) I will warn them that they could possibly get hurt, but that's it... but I will stand firm over them not jumping around in the living room right now because we just hung the tv on the wall over the fireplace and I'm not convinced it's going to stay there ....

Other than that, I don't know much about Dobson.... so
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
jenn3514 (10-18-2011), mommy9994 (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #13
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

I was raised in a Dobson influenced home. I don't know if it was my mom, or what she was trained to think - but everything that she thought I shouldn't do, anything against her opinion was a battle.

You want to dye your hair purple? You're against me.
You don't want to wear pink flowery shirts? You're against me
You don't want to eat all of your dinner? You're against me
You don't want to go to a class to learn how to put on makeup? You're against me.

You want to be a teacher, not a nurse? What? You're against me.

I could write a book.

I do pick my battles with my kids - but I stand firm on things that are for their safety - staying clipped in their carseat, playing in the street, playing outdoors alone, park boundaries....

When they are teens it will also be about their safety - unsafe sex, drugs, being out all hours of the night, stuff like that.

Things that involve their own personal space are not worth the damage to the relationship. I don't care if my kids have mohawks or sweater vests (I'd prefer the mohawks )

The problem is when you start the adversarial mindset when they are young, its hard to shake it. My mom continually saw any disagreement as me picking a fight. It was like she was programmed that way.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
jenn3514 (10-18-2011), melliethepooh (10-18-2011), StoryOfGrace (10-18-2011), Tasmanian Saint (10-20-2011), tazmom (10-18-2011), WanderingJuniper (10-18-2011), Zooey (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #14
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

Dobson did actually engage with families over a long period of time. His beliefs are heavily influenced by his starting paradigm of winning the battle of wills or else, but quite a lot of his advice is going to be practical.

He's never been against allowing children to experience most of the consequences of their actions, just to have the parent's will dominate when the parent chooses. For a 12 year old, he's probably assuming the parent has already established who's boss. He's telling her not to choose this one and choosing fewer battles as the child gets older is consistent with his teachings, such as making a younger kid keep their room clean, but shutting the door when the kid gets older.

Another major part of Dobson thinking is that it is the normal course of events that teenagers will rebel and come back to the fold when they are adults. There is an assumed battle around the corner he is referring to. Unless the child had already shaved her legs, she hadn't rebelled yet.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
klpmommy
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

The problem is when you start the adversarial mindset when they are young, its hard to shake it. My mom continually saw any disagreement as me picking a fight. It was like she was programmed that way.

right, i understand that. but what if John Doe (dad to tweens & teens)were to pick up one of his teen books having never read any of his other books.