Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Dessert *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
mykidsmom

Default Calling all FUDGE experts...

I'm trying my hand at fudge today. It's my very first time and after reading the directions I have to say I truly appreciate fudge more than I ever have before. It looks complicated. I'm not a candy maker... I don't even own a candy thermometer so I have to go buy one...

So, anyone have any fudge makings tips? How do I keep it from being grainy? I've had the best, super smooth fudge and some of the worst grainy, chalk-like fudge.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all FUDGE experts...

i have an easy, delicious fudge recipie. let me get it. no thermometer needed.

in a large pan ( i use like a 6 quart- or what I do for a big pot of spaghetti) dump in 4c sugar, 13 oz can of evaporated milk, and 1/4 pound of butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 4 min while stirring. Yes it will smell funny.

turn off burner- but leave pan on the heat. fold in 7oz of marshmallow fluff (1 jar), 1 pound milk chocolate, 1 oz bitter baking chocolate, 12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips, 2 tsp vanilla, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 cup of nuts (walnuts usually) if desired.

then I pour it into a 9x13 pan (lined with wax paper if I remember) and let it set.

tips- break up the milk chocolate into little pieces for faster melting. and the better the chocolate- the better it will taste.
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
MudPies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudPies For This Useful Post:
cro (12-05-2009)
Old 12-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
mountainash
Rose Garden

mountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, I'm only a fudge eating expert.

+ + ='s subbing for yummy fudge recipes!
mountainash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mountainash For This Useful Post:
cro (12-05-2009)
Old 12-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
cro
Rose Garden

cro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond repute

An even easier recipe. Dangerously easy b/c it uses basic ingredients.

Dump into microwave-safe bowl:
1 box confectioner's sugar
1/2 c cocoa
1 stick butter
1/4 c milk (whole or evaporated)
1/4 t salt
1 T vanilla

Microwave for 2 minutes. Mix. Pour into wax paper-lined pan.

This is a melt-in-your-mouth kind of fudge. Sifting the dry ingredients keeps it from being grainy or lumpy, but I usually skip that step when I need my instant fudge fix.
E ~ born in America 12/08/08; natural bio miracle
cro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cro For This Useful Post:
Allison (09-03-2011), mountainash (12-06-2009), Quiteria (09-03-2011)
Old 12-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #5
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

I used to make the real stuff in huge batches to give away at Christmas. No time anymore! There is a HUGE difference between fudge made the real candy-making way and the easy, short cut recipes - no offence, they're yummy too, but they're not fudge.

It's very, very important to follow your recipe to the letter, Tiffaney. If I recall, my recipe involved brushing down the sides with a damp pastry brush to prevent crystalizing. You also couldn't stir it AT ALL after a certain point... trust me, I messed up a batch of really expensive chocolate not thinking. Make sure your candy thermometer is properly positioned in the pot and doesn't touch the bottom or float on top - you'll get wrong temps. Temperature is all-important in candy making.

Something I found as well was that the fudge improved with age. I made sure to make my fudge three weeks before it was to be eaten or given away.

Good luck and have fun! I wish I had time, too!
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (12-06-2009)
Old 12-06-2009, 01:57 AM   #6
jojola

I have NEVER made a batch of fudge that turned out well until this year.

The difference? A candy thermometer and scrupulous attention to the recipe. I have used the "drop a spoon of the candy in cold water" method for years and it's just never worked.

This year, I paid close attention to NOT scraping the sides of the pot when stirring, and NOT scraping out the pot when putting it in the pan.

I've made 3 large delicious batches this year - chocolate, chocolate-mint, and coconut. Wow, fudge is easy and fast when I use a thermometer and follow directions!! Now, the only problem is keeping my hands off of the container in the freezer!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2009, 05:19 AM   #7
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto what pp wrote. Use a thermometer and follow the recipe. It will be nerve-wracking the first time but it's like anything--you'll get the hang of it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
mountainash
Rose Garden

mountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cro View Post
An even easier recipe. Dangerously easy b/c it uses basic ingredients.

Dump into microwave-safe bowl:
1 box confectioner's sugar
1/2 c cocoa
1 stick butter
1/4 c milk (whole or evaporated)
1/4 t salt
1 T vanilla

Microwave for 2 minutes. Mix. Pour into wax paper-lined pan.

This is a melt-in-your-mouth kind of fudge. Sifting the dry ingredients keeps it from being grainy or lumpy, but I usually skip that step when I need my instant fudge fix.
~gasp!~ It's corn free!!!

Did you ever know that you're my hero!....
Old 12-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #9
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute

I have always used the "soft-ball" technique and usually have remarkably delicious and creamy results. I love to make peanut butter fudge, cholcolate-walnut (or pecan) fudge, and penucci. One thing you have to do too is make sure you get that beautiful appearance that the liquid fudge starts to get when it is hitting the right temp. and consistency . It starts to crystallize, so it looks really glassy or something. I don't know how to describe it, but that is how I know I am getting there. Stirring for a long time always makes my arm hurt, Lol.

Also, always do your fudge on a clear, low humdity day. Too much moistur ein the air will give you to large grain size of the crystals, resulting in that unpleasant gritty texture.

I am not as careful about not scraping the sides and bottom of the p[ot as ladies here have mentione,d b/c I worry about scorching more than incorrect grain size of the crystals. How do you ladies avoid scorching?

My mom always made divinity. Uh, heavenly, truly.

I am on a low glycemic index diet now (and forever) though, so I can no longer make fudge as gifts. I eat too much of it:P Also, everyone I know now is so healthy and doesn't eat sugar, so it isn't an appropriate gift for our circle of friends/family. (no enabling for me, shucks).

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things out of us
You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Auroras mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Auroras mom For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
mykidsmom

Well, I made my first batch following the recipe on the Jet Puff Marshmellow container, since I had already purchased those ingredients a couple of days ago (minus the thermometer). It turned out...

GREAT!

I followed the recipe to the "t" as directed here , stirred until my arm just about fell off and watched that thermometer like a hawk. I was worried because it went straight from not boiling to a bubble like boil, not the rolling boil the directions asked for and that temperature shot up right away. It didn't boil for 4 minutes like it was supposed to...

Anyway, it's really smooth but does have the tinest bit of grain. I'm picky so maybe it's just me... The kids think its the best stuff ever.

I was very surprised by how much this recipe made. I'm also going to try the other recipes listed in this thread before Christmas. Thanks so much ladies!
Old 12-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
mountainash
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroras mom View Post
I am on a low glycemic index diet now (and forever) though, so I can no longer make fudge as gifts. I eat too much of it:P Also, everyone I know now is so healthy and doesn't eat sugar, so it isn't an appropriate gift for our circle of friends/family. (no enabling for me, shucks).
There is a candy store in the town I grew up in that has a "no sugar added" fudge. It's my favorite thing to buy for my diabetic grandma.

I think it has sugar free pudding or jello in it?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainash View Post
~gasp!~ It's corn free!!!
Uhhh.... doesn't confectioner's sugar have cornstarch in it?
Kiara.I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
mountainash
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara.I View Post
Uhhh.... doesn't confectioner's sugar have cornstarch in it?
Oh! Yeah, but you can make it in the food processor with a little potato starch.

No worries, cro, you're still my hero.
The Following User Says Thank You to mountainash For This Useful Post:
cro (12-08-2009)
Old 12-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #14
cro
Rose Garden

cro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond repute

I feel so loved.

But now I'm dying to try a "real" fudge recipe.
E ~ born in America 12/08/08; natural bio miracle
cro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #15
Jubilation

I have my candy thermometer and most of my baking supplies packed up (moving to MA. soon) and wanted to make fudge so I tried the microwave fudge recipe from Cooks.com The recipe said to use one lb. of powdered sugar. I had a brand new 2 lb bag so I measured out half of it, which was 16 oz. I made it exactly like the recipe said to, but I just tossed it in the trash and I'm just sick about wasting all those ingredients...especially the pecans, they are soooo expensive It sat in the fridge for two days and never got hard. Any ideas as to why it may not have worked?