Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default whole 30/paleo shortcuts?

We're on day 20 something of whole 30 (the good thing is that I've lost track of what day we're on!). It's good for sure. But it's a lot of work. A lot of food prep and a lot of dish washing. I have to do 100% of it, as dh is taking classes and working. I'm overwhelmed and feeling stressed. I would love to keep up a similar eating lifestyle, but I can't keep up with this much work in the kitchen. Nothing is fast.

Tonight, while the chicken part of the dinner is fast, I had to grate cauliflower just to make "cauli-rice," which wasn't even good! I miss being able to just pull rice out of the pantry to make.

I know some of you have done this long term. What short cuts do you have? How to you make this more efficient?
Old 06-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whole 30/paleo shortcuts?

I kept/keep food packs in the freezer. I cut a meal sized portion of protein, throw in some frozen veggies and onions etc and put in a ziplock. That way I could just toss it in the pan and cook quick. No cutting, chopping etc. I didn't do anything like cauli rice etc. too much work and it's just not worth it. It will never be the same.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

But one of my main complaints, besides all the prep work and cleaning, is that the meals are so boring! I looked up new meal ideas, and most of them haven't been that great. But I'm so tired of cooking chicken and vegetables. I need something different!
Old 06-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #4
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Roast veggies in coconut oil or olive oil and lots of garlic. Especially cruciferous veggies. So good. Not boring. Very hands off. I use a big stone bar pan for mine and it takes almost no prep time and I just rinse and wipe the pan clean .
Saute your rice after you use a blender or food processor, or skip it and put the food over spinach instead.

And really, I find making salad quicker with less prep and clean up then most other meals.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 06-20-2016 at 06:57 PM.
RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
esperanza
Rose Garden

Maybe my veggies are missing lots of garlic. I've been roasting them, but they don't always have a lot of flavor.
I did saute my cauliflower before cooking it, but it's just not rice, you know?
We've been doing salads for lunch. I just can't do it twice a day.
Sorry- I feel like I'm shooting down all the ideas. I do appreciate the input!!
Old 06-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
KSL
Rose Bouquet

KSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant future

I am not super up on Whole30 and what ways of cooking are allowed...but could you put meat and veggies in the crock pot? I'm not sure what spices are allowed but you can do some great dry rubs with some munched garlic on meat and throw in Brussels sprouts or other veggies (I get big bags of Brussels sprouts from Costco and even put them alone in crockpot with garlic and balsamic vinegar and cook on low for several hours and they are delicious). I just think a veggie, a meat (whole chickens are great in crockpot too) thrown in crockpot and cooked slow with some minced garlic is easy and the juices from the meat add flavor to the veggies

I am a huge fan of my crockpot and use it a LOT

Married to the Haitian Sensation since 2007
Mom to S, DS since October 2009

and

E, DD born February 22nd, 2016

KSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:43 PM   #7
esperanza
Rose Garden

I love my CP too! I need w30 CP recipes! I do have some meat recipes I could use, I think. I just am not a big fan of roast or other beef like that without rice or tortillas or buns or something else. I miss all my good now not permitted CP recipes!
Old 06-21-2016, 02:43 AM   #8
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Oh, I've seen those shredded cauliflower instead of rice recipes. Honestly, I've been far too lazy to try.

I don't really know anything about wholefoods 30 BUT I have been on a whole foods diet for 5 years of my own making, which sounds very similar to this diet. So ignore if any of my suggestions don't match up.

As a rice or pasta substitute, our hands down fave is julienne cut zucchini noodles. Only takes a few minutes to slice up. Either raw (my fave), or lightly sauteed with coconut oil (dh's fave). Our 2nd choice is spaghetti squash. Even easier. Cut in half, scoop out seeds and throw in the oven.

I also recently took a chicken and veggie stir fry and served it over a bed of raw spinach and it was DELICIOUS! The warm topping warming up the raw spinach just made for a melt in my mouth fireworks of deliciousness. (Yes, I'm fairly in love with delicious food ).

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

As for meats, we add a good rotation of a variety of wild caught fish to our diet. That adds a plethora of options.

Wild caught sockeye salmon is our absolute favourite. Broiled or grilled. Super quick and easy. From the package to the dinner table in less than 30 minutes. We also have a variety of other fish in our rotation depending on what the local grocery stores have in stock/on sale that are wild caught.

But back to the chicken... Since that tends to be our most regularly used meat too here for simplicity and price. Keeping variety... Do you try different cuts? I use a ton of boneless skinless breasts, however, I also add in other cuts depending on what I'm making. I find that the kids prefer the boneless skinless thighs because the higher fat content makes them juicier. I also use the thighs regularly in crock pot dishes that the meat cooks down and gets shredded. Of course chicken quarters are also a regular rotation here. Grilled is our fave but oven roasted is also delicious. A roasted whole chicken is a nice variety change too.

It looks like you can do coconut milk on the whole 30 -- have you ever made chicken curry? Totally delicious and something my dh could eat every day.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:53 AM   #9
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

see if your library has any of the Well Fed books. I own the 2nd one and use a recipe from it at least weekly even though we're not doing a whole30 right now. The salmon patties are a huge hit around here.

I've prepped zucchini noodles and cauli-rice several days at a time before. We like mashed potato cauliflower better than cauli-rice.

I've made a big batch of this http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2016/...chicken-tikka/ (modified for whole 30, coconut milk instead of yogurt and whatever veggies you like). And done similar things with other flavor profiles to reheat for lunch.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:14 AM   #10
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

We love cauliflower rice, but I use lots of coconut oil and salt, and it always has a sauce on it. Roasted veggies, again lots of olive or coconut oil and salt. Chicken over cauliflower rice with canned coconut milk on top is yummy

Chicken "breaded" in a mix of coconut flour and almond flour and fried over cauliflower rice with a sauce made from oj pineapple chunks and peppers and coconut aminos is good.

Spaghetti with meatballs over zucchini noodles.

Hamburgers with lettuce buns.

It's hard, i couldn't keep up after the 30 days.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:26 AM   #11
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Can you do a taco salad ? Make up a ground beef mixture and roast in pepper cups?

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:40 AM   #12
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I bought some really good salmon at my Groshry store it was frozen and farmed in Norway. It was amazing and really cheap $11/3 servings as far as good fish goes.

I cooked it with capers and olive oil and served it with cauliflower rice or sauteed cabbage I don't rember which.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #13
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I often use frozen thawed green peas as a rice or rain alternative but dont like them steamed. If you bu the tiny cauliflower and or broccoli florets can use them as rice instead of ricing the cauli or are all the veggies supposed to be fresh? That way would be similar - prep time to making rice and they come in bags prechopped frozen or fresh.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
Old 06-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #14
esperanza
Rose Garden

Vegetables can be frozen- that's fine. Dh just didn't like the taste of cauliflower. I think he likes it fine fresh, but wasn't a fan of it prepared like that. We ate a good chicken dish with sauce over it, so it wasn't plan, but you could tell it was cauliflower.

Unfortunately I don't like seafood. Dh does and bought some tilapia to prepare. I wish I did, because it would give us more options! But no fish for me!

I actually have a chicken curry recipe for tonight, but I was going to serve it over cauli-rice, until I discovered last night that it wasn't a hit here. And I had planned fried rice for tomorrow with it. Argh. There went my meal plan!

I'm just not a super big fan of just eating a hunk of meat. I'd prefer to have it with something else. Besides the fact that it's expensive to do that every night.

I've read about the zucchini noodles. I don't have a mandolin or anything to slice it easily with. How time consuming are they to make without it? Again, it comes back to all the work instead of just getting out a box of pasta!

Heartofjoy, I'd be curious to hear how you ate after W30. I can see a lot of good things about it, but I'll be honest and say I still miss chocolate and sweets, especially with a lot of stress right now. I know I'd be eating way too much sugar, so it's good we're doing this, but it's also just a lot of work. I'm not sure how I'll be able to moderate this when we're done.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #15
mamacat
Rose Garden

Your nursling may sleep better tho w/o the chocolate and sugar. ITU about it being so easy to just make pasta. I think you really need one of those gadgets to be able to make the vegie pasta quickly

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C