Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crock pot or instapot / fast week night dinners

I am looking at the school year scedules.

Tuesday I won't be home untill 6:45. Normal dinner time is 6.

Every other Wendsday it is looking similar.

I don't see how I can make dinners work unless I have a crock pot ( I had a cheep rather horable one, that I got rid of once I got my stove top prusher cooker). I need to walk in and be able to serve food in under 15 min.

But then the question comes to: do I buy a crock pot or just get an instapot that I can use as a prusher cooker ( and there have been times I wish I had two, I love my stove top one so much) or a slow cooker?

What do you think?

Any one have amazing slow cooker recipes or blogs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:56 AM   #2
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crock pot or instapot / fast week night dinners

I don't have an instapot, but I love having dinner ready in the crockpot when I get home.

This blogger is the queen of crockpot recipes. https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/sl...-lime-chicken/

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

Last edited by Singingmom; 09-15-2017 at 03:12 PM. Reason: typo!
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
knitlove (08-02-2017), Soliloquy (09-15-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #3
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Will you not be home because of work or kid activities? I like the IP because I can set it and set a timer. It figures out coming to pressure and is ready to release ehen I walk in the door. If we are leaving for activities I will make rice before we leave. My cook pot keeps it warm enough.

I would not use the IP as a crock pot. some IP dishes only need enough time to come to pressure and then they are done.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
Llee (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 07:49 AM   #4
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I've found the IP slow cooker setting is SO much slower than my crockpot. It's so strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I've had really good luck with the slow cooker recipes in the Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook. (I can't remember all your restrictions, but most things are GF, and have DF options, etc.) Cook's Illustrated has some great recipes as well, but they usually involve more prep work. Their Cook's Country magazine always includes a slow cooker recipe or two.

In the winter I do a lot of soups, too. This time of year I make veggie purees, freeze them, and just thin out with broth for a creamy soup. Done in under 15 minutes.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster View Post
Will you not be home because of work or kid activities? I like the IP because I can set it and set a timer. It figures out coming to pressure and is ready to release ehen I walk in the door. If we are leaving for activities I will make rice before we leave. My cook pot keeps it warm enough.

I would not use the IP as a crock pot. some IP dishes only need enough time to come to pressure and then they are done.
Wendsday we will be out of the house most of the day and Tuesday we might be out of the house all day or maybe just from 3 to 6:30.

The thing is that most of the time dh is home ( ocasionaly he is on trips) so if I have it all preaped he can probably start things mid day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
I've found the IP slow cooker setting is SO much slower than my crockpot. It's so strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is good to know. I had a cheep crockpot and could neaver get times to line up with recipes. Things would burn on high and would neaver get done on low. So I don't know that I would notice the difference of it being slow.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

Instant Pot has gotten more use than our crock pot ever did. I'm fact, I have two IPs now.

We like to make beans and one. You can make rice in your crockpot or rice cooker or other instant pot. Rice and beans is a complete protein meal. You can add in chips and whatever toppings you like to it as well.

We can also make baked potatoes in the Instant Pot pretty quickly. As well, in our IP this week I made hard boiled eggs and yogurt.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
knitlove (08-02-2017), Soliloquy (09-15-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I use my IP as a slow cooker all the time and have never noticed a difference or problem.

Do you currently own a decent crock pot (apart from the one you mentioned that was no good)? If so I'd start with that. BUT if you need to purchase something I'd 100% absolutely with no hesitation purchase an IP. Start price watching and get a good deal but TOTALLY worth it. I am a die hard cook and spend LOTS of time in the kitchen (I LOVE to cook) and most definitely my IP is my most used appliance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
knitlove (08-02-2017), Llee (08-03-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #9
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
I use my IP as a slow cooker all the time and have never noticed a difference or problem.
The one thing I've tried to make that absolutely takes forever is dried beans. They cooked all day and still needed to be finished on the stove. I do not like to pressure cook dried beans because you either have to leave them be for a long time to release pressure or you have tons of water squirting all over the kitchen

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

Quote:
The one thing I've tried to make that absolutely takes forever is dried beans. They cooked all day and still needed to be finished on the stove. I do not like to pressure cook dried beans because you either have to leave them be for a long time to release pressure or you have tons of water squirting all over the kitchen
Really? Dry beans is my GO TO in my instant pot. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Can't imagine using the old skool slow cooker method. I do a natural release but don't find it to be excessively long.
ECingMama (11-01-2017), Llee (08-03-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #11
knitlove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post

Do you currently own a decent crock pot (apart from the one you mentioned that was no good)? If so I'd start with that. BUT if you need to purchase something I'd 100% absolutely with no hesitation purchase an IP. Start price watching and get a good deal but TOTALLY worth it. I am a die hard cook and spend LOTS of time in the kitchen (I LOVE to cook) and most definitely my IP is my most used appliance.
I don't have a crock pot I will need to buy something.

I use my stove top prusher cooker at least once a week and more in the winter.
Quote:
I love dryed beans in the my prusher cooker! I do the natural release and just leave the kitchen.

The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Llee (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 04:24 AM   #12
Reva
Rose Trellis

Reva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have an IP, but there's always crockpots for sale at my local goodwill for around $5 or so. (It's been awhile since I've looked, but I know I bought one for $5 and it works perfectly!)

Just throwing that out there.
Forever missing my sweet R (HLHS) and the baby we never got to meet.
Reva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:29 AM   #13
knitlove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reva View Post
I don't have an IP, but there's always crockpots for sale at my local goodwill for around $5 or so. (It's been awhile since I've looked, but I know I bought one for $5 and it works perfectly!)

Just throwing that out there.
I am trying to decide if I would be ok worth that. I really want to and I am 98% certen I could clean it well enough to get any waywerd flour off of it. My dh is very sensitive to gluten.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #14
2sunshines

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
I am trying to decide if I would be ok worth that. I really want to and I am 98% certen I could clean it well enough to get any waywerd flour off of it. My dh is very sensitive to gluten.

Oh, with a crock pot being ceramic, I can't imagine that would be an issue. It seems it could definitely have all remains removed especially if you meticulously picked a used one that was clean.

That said depending on the size you need, I've seen new crock pots during the big sales (like Black Friday, etc), for REALLY cheap. Like under $10.

I would still heavily favour an IP just cause I ADORE mine so much BUT if finances are a barrier a crock pot is definitely substantially cheaper!
knitlove (08-05-2017), Victorious (09-15-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 06:14 AM   #15
knitlove
Rose Garden

I borrowed a crock pot to make this week work. The girls complained about the texture of the rice and chicken that I cooked.

I talked to dh and I think I will buy an electric prusher cooker.

Are IPs that much better than other brands of electric prusher cooker. There are a couple of other brands that I could buys used locally but the reviews online made me learly of buying them