Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute
Default surplus peaches, yellow squash, and cukes....anyone wanna help me?

so far with the yellow squash, other than eating what we can, i've sliced some and put into pickle brine. i was thinking i could also freeze it in slices. i like it in dishes at holiday time it should really be a fall veggie, no?

i have NO IDEA what to do with the cukes. other than make my own pickles....i dont really even like cucumbers....i dont know why i decided to grow them...

peaches....can i pre-make things like cobblers and pies and freeze them? would they keep well in the deep freeze for a while?

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
megbar548
Rose Bouquet

megbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: surplus peaches, yellow squash, and cukes....anyone wanna help me?

Yes, you can freeze squash slices.

Cukes- do you also have tomatoes? Cucumber tomato salad is yummy- especially with balsamic vinegar/olive oil dressing.

Or you can do those little silly cucumber sandwiches (you know, the things that show up at every bridal/baby shower ever that are basically cucumbers, cream cheese, and dill on bread?).

And I know a lot of people who use up their excess cucumbers by doing cucumber water.

We use extra cucumber as a simple headache/eyestrain remedy- just slices over your eyes while you lay back and rest a few minutes.

Peaches... You can definitely pre-make pies and cobblers and freeze them. just make it up, but don't bake it. Then thaw before cooking.

They're also great to just freeze the sliced peaches all alone for use in things later. Frozen peaches are great for tossing into the blender instead of ice in a fruit smoothie. They're also great in oatmeal.
megbar548 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to megbar548 For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Sundance
Rose Garden

Sundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond repute

I *wish* I had excess peaches. I love them, but they are something I end up paying a ton for.

I *love* them canned in a light syrup. I could eat 100 quarts a year! I also can apple pie filling & then just put a jar in a freshly made shell....not sure if it would work for peaches or not...

Wife to my Lumberjack,

Mom to DD1 (May 2007), DS (April 2009) &
DD2 (July 2011), DD3 (October 2013)
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Carini
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

If you don't stop naming nuts....

Carini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond repute

I've been doing my cukes with rice vinegar, salt and dill. Slice and marinate for a few hours (or eat right away) and they're good by themselves or as a topping on meat (burgers are my favorite).

I also slice them in rounds and top with a little goat cheese and salami if I have it. Yum!

Third way is sliced with a cream cheese mixture - basically an Italian dressing mix (I make my own). Top spread the cheese on a cracker, top with sliced cuke and sprinkle with dill.

I don't recall your allergies so sorry if the dairy doesn't work for you.

ISTJ
Wife to J - 2004
Doops - 10/2010
Sweetie Girl - 7/2014

Carini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Peach salsa can be canned or frozen. Peach jam is good, too. Peach pie filling or just sliced peaches can also be canned or frozen.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (07-26-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I have the perfect solution. Come visit me. Bring anything you want. We'll eat it.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to klpmommy For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (07-26-2013), Chaos Coordinator (07-25-2013), Kiara.I (07-25-2013), megbar548 (07-25-2013), Sundance (07-25-2013), swimming with sharks (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

oh, and yellow squash can be shredded, then frozen in bags, thawed later and used in zucchini muffins.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (07-25-2013), mellifera (07-25-2013), RiverRock (07-26-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

We use cucumbers as the bread make sandwiches. Put some meat and cheese between two of them and it is really good. And surprisingly filling. Cucumber water is awesome and really cooling.
Squash can be used like zucchini in muffins, pureed and put into other foods so that you sneak some extra vegetables in there and is really good fried with butter and cheese.
Peaches can be frozen, pickled or canned. And taste so good. You can make really good muffins and salsa, too.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
megbar548
Rose Bouquet

megbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond reputemegbar548 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpmommy View Post
I have the perfect solution. Come visit me. Bring anything you want. We'll eat it.
So.... When are we coming over? I want in.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
Sundance
Rose Garden

Sundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond repute

I like Kimberly's solution!! But I'd prefer if you came north to visit me.

I shred a lot of zucchini and freeze for muffins and zucchini bread (either chocolate or plain)....I didn't suggest that earlier because I wasn't sure if yellow squash was the same thing.

Wife to my Lumberjack,

Mom to DD1 (May 2007), DS (April 2009) &
DD2 (July 2011), DD3 (October 2013)
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, bring a cooler of each and we'll use some up for you! You can't grow peaches at all here, squash are very difficult, and cukes are greenhouse only.

Yellow squash--do you mean winter or summer squash? Both will freeze and both will make succulent muffins and tea breads. You can put both kinds into soups; winter squash, of course, will make pie and summer squash (with the water carefully pressed out) will make quiche or vegetable casserole. I put cubed summer squash into well-seasoned tomato sauce as well. If you combine mashed winter squash with butter, salt, and poultry seasoning, you can serve it instead of bread dressing with chicken.

Peaches OH peaches. Can them and make pies, cobblers, peach ice cream, peach salsa, peach nectar, peach nectar juice pops, peach sorbet, tutti frutti . . . Peach jam, which can be used to make homemade fruit-in-the-bottom peach yogurt . . .

Cukes can be cooked fresh as a savory vegetable, or used to make raita or a rich sour cream-dill sauce for fish or chicken, or turned into pickles or relishes . . . I think my absolute favorite kind of cucumber pickle is made with fresh oak leaves and lots of garlic.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
megbar548
Rose Bouquet

So I answer this thread with ideas for using cucumbers and find myself PINING for cucumber tomato salad and some of the other things I mentioned.

Then, lo and behold, my farmer shows up with our CSA share for the week. LOADED down with cukes and tomatoes.

That is what I call fortuitously providential. God smiling down on the preggo cravings.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to megbar548 For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (07-25-2013), Kiara.I (07-25-2013), rjy9343 (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #13
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

everyone is welcome to hit the peach orchard with us tomorrow

cuke sandwiches is a good idea, but i am dairy-lite right now. also, gluten free, so not a lot of baked goods that go on around here.

i dont know how to can and dont trust an online tutorial for something like that - i'd rather be shown in person.

the squash i will freeze on a pan, each slice individually. the peaches i can freeze in wedges. i found two more huge cukes the size of my forearms today in the garden. still pondering that one.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

You can water bath can peaches. They are awesome. NOTHING like store canned. Spiced ones are particularly decadent.

Our peaches are thus far terrible this year. I still have two of last years jars and I am hoarding them.

You know I love you if I bring you peach cobbler from one of my precious, precious jars, or a jar of jelly

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Coordinator View Post
i dont know how to can and dont trust an online tutorial for something like that - i'd rather be shown in person.
Water bath is super easy and if you can set a timer, you can do it. Don't be skeered.

I checked the Ball book obsessively over every step the first couple times I canned, though.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #15
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

my friend was talking about peeling and blanching the peaches...what's all that about? i dont like it when things require extra steps.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5