Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
arymanth
Rose Bouquet

arymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud of
Default Pet rats anyone???

Soooo, my 22yo son calls me and asks me if I would be interested in adopting a few baby rats. Apparently he was given a couple of young rats (by two different people) and told they were both males... and of course, they weren't.... so now he is the proud owner of 16 baby Dumbo rats. LOL Of course, my kids fell in love with them instantly, so guess who is going to be learning how to be a good rat momma?

Anyone else have pet rats? What should I know about them? So far we have decided on females (I've been told the males have a very strong odor) and we're still trying to decide how many we want. (the kids want FIVE... I'm leaning towards 3)

I located a good sized cage on Craigslist (which hopefully will still be there when I go pick it up)

What else do I need to know?

What am I getting myself into?????

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Uh oh.... well, apparently one of my son's friends decided to take most of the females.... there are only 2 girls and the momma left.

Do I want boys? Is that really going to stink up my house?????

HELP!!!

Now blogging at The Shepherd's Apprentice
arymanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet rats anyone???

The boys are not that smelly. Bbl

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
CapeTownMommy
Deactivated

CapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond repute

We're about to get two girl rats so to see what your experience is like! Opinions vary greatly about the smell of boy rats, some people barely notice it. What I have found out is that the boys make better pets in the sense that they tend to be more cuddly - the girls are more inquisitive and like to explore, so they don't want to sit on a lap and be petted. The boys LOVE that
CapeTownMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CapeTownMommy For This Useful Post:
AdrienneQW (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
arymanth
Rose Bouquet

arymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud of

Hmmm, ok then... so 3 boy rats shouldn't be too much to handle? How often am I supposed to clean their cage? Do you feed them at a certain time, or leave food out all the time in a dish? I feel so clueless right now. LOL

Old 08-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute

I always kept 3 boys. I did a super quick wipe down every other day when I filled food, and a good cleaning once a week. Never had stink issues really.

A roomy cage helps a ton, and using fleece as bedding as well.

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

I have one female (her buddy died recently). Aspen shavings and she gets regular food, not rat chowder. Zero odorous. Clean as a kitten and so sweet.

If you don't want boys, tats are cheap enough to buy females... it is the cage that is so spendy!
TenderLovingWillow (08-25-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
AdrienneQW
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

AdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond repute

We decided on females for three reasons: 1) less odor, 2) smaller, and 3) the big deciding factor... my daughter wanted pink hammocks for the cage.

We've had our ratty-girls for almost 18mo now and they're absolutely delightful. Definitely get the biggest high-quality cage you can afford. We love fleece bedding and litter pans; our girlies still pee around their cage but they're 100% poop-trained. I sew all their hammocks; let me know if you'd like some links to tutorials.

I recommend Debbie Ducommun's rat care book; otherwise most of the books out there are garbage. You'll get better information online at one of the many rat forums.

We feed our rats Harlan Teklad lab blocks as the main staple of their diet (#2018 until they're 6mo, then switch to #2016) and supplement with about 25% fresh foods. The biggest thing to remember with fresh food is NO CITRUS; it can be fatal to rats.

I'm totally biased, but I think rats make wonderful pets. I didn't want rats at all, and when I really think about it I'm still kinda creeped out by the whole rodent thing... but they're soooooo sweet and loving and adorable they just stole my heart.

Some pictures in the spoiler:

Keep asking questions; someone here will know the answer to just about anything!
Proud mama of Dexter (Feb 2002) and Celeste (April 2005)
Always loving Thomas William (03/04)
AdrienneQW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AdrienneQW For This Useful Post:
mommie (08-25-2013), sweetpeasmommy (08-29-2013), TenderLovingWillow (08-25-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
arymanth
Rose Bouquet

Thank you!!! My daughter just made her first rat hammock today. I had no idea you could use fleece for litter, it's like cloth diapering. LOL We are totally going to find some cheap fleece blankets at the thrift store to cut up for that. My son said that all of the rats but 2 females have been claimed, so I guess our choice was made for us. I'm good with that... I don't think our new cage would really be big enough for anything else. Now to come up with good names for them....

Loooove the pictures!!!

If anyone else has any thoughts or advice, I'd love to hear it!

The Following User Says Thank You to arymanth For This Useful Post:
AdrienneQW (08-25-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
AdrienneQW
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

AdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienneQW has a reputation beyond repute

It's exactly like cloth diapering, except even easier.

To be clear, the fleece is used as bedding to line the cage instead of the wood or paper shavings most people use. Litter is different; it's what goes inside the litter pan(s) in the cage - if you look at the cage photo I posted, the litter pans are the turquoise and gray pans in the corners of the two levels of the cage. We put down about an inch of Fresh News litter in each pan, replacing the litter each time the cage gets cleaned. If you leave a bit of messy litter in each time you clean the cage in the early going, the ratties are more likely to recognize the litter pan as the potty and use it accordingly. We did that for about four weeks and our girlies had no problem litter-training. And if you find them pottying in a particular corner of the cage, put the litter pan there.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
arymanth
Rose Bouquet

Thank you, I was wondering how that worked. I'm starting to get excited about our new babies. I'll post pics when we get them.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
Shutterbug Equus

I've owned 2 sets of female rats in the past. In my experience, boys smell a lot, and are often lazy and prone to being overweight. Females on the other hand, often get mammary tumors as they get older, and are sometimes more skiddish originally, but far more loyal in the long run.
There are pros and cons to both, it's just what you'd prefer.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
arymanth
Rose Bouquet

Got our new cage today! WOOOHOOO!!!! We had originally bought a very small (hamster size) cage for transporting them, and we are thinking about cutting an opening in top of the big cage and attaching the smaller one as a "penthouse". LOL My 14yo DD is making rat hammocks and we are going out tomorrow to buy food and litter. I'm so excited! Only 2 more days!!!

I still don't know what gender we are going to get, apparently they still have a few boys, so I will just have to see which ones I gravitate towards when I get there. We have been doing lots of research, and I'm looking forward to watching what my kids come up with to decorate the cage. I have challenged them to change it up and add something new every weekend.

I'll post pics when we get them home.

The Following User Says Thank You to arymanth For This Useful Post:
AdrienneQW (08-29-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
AdrienneQW
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Yay for new cage! I might not go cutting holes; it's good to have a smaller second cage for many reasons. We use ours for transport (vet, etc.), to put the ratties in while we clean the big cage, and to separate them if necessary (our Molly had surgery and we had to separate them for six weeks to keep Lily from chewing on Molly's sutures).
Old 08-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #14
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

What? Citrus is poisonous to rats? I was told that citrus trees attract urban rats. :shudder

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

We sparkly heart love ours. Big cage well ventilated is a must to keep stink under control. http://www.dapper.com.au/cagebuild.htm I was condisering, but found an awesome deal on one of the FB sale groups so didn't have to bust out the power tools.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote