Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
dakotablue
Rose Trellis

dakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond repute
Default new parenting DVD series at church

I know nothing about this, and searching forums hasn't seemed to give a clear answer. My churches small group is doing the DVD series "Getting to the Heart of Parenting" By Paul Tripp.

I really like this church so far, there are a lot of Baby wearers and when I mentioned DSs food allergies they changed the nursery to entirely gluten free in 1 week.

I'm almost afraid to go, but I really want to connect with more IRL people. Does anyone know about this series? I understand Ted Tripp(?) is so not anywhere near what I would even be comfortable sitting through. Is Paul that different?

I assumed this would go here, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Pumpkin Boy born via c/s 10/09
Love Bug Boy VBAC 2/11
Lady Bug VBAC 2/13

Proud wife to Dh since 12/06

Happily co-sleeping, breastfeeding, babywearing and homeschooling. gf/df/soy/nut free

enFj
dakotablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
pastelsummer
Rose Garden

I am where I am only by the Grace of GOD

pastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new parenting DVD series at church

never looked at it but heard it is not a good one for ap hopefully someone esle will have some advice
"Bubba" 3/09
"Princess" 9/11
read about *some content may be sensitive*
my life
My Poetry
I am not the princess in the tower, I have slayed my own dragons. I am the queen of my country leading the way.
If you want me you need to walk beside me not in front of me or behind me.
pastelsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
mwwr
Deactivated

It is good to be Queen!

mwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read his stuff, but I know there are threads here discussing him.
mwwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

Some of his stuff is on youtube. 30 seconds into session 4 (first one I clicked on) and I'm already disagreeing with him
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

This is available at our church too. I don't have high hopes since everything else is punitive, but I'm curious. From the little I've seen it's very much like SACH

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
ruhama
Deactivated

Jumping off the hot tin roof.

ruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond repute

Our church is head over heels for Paul Tripp. His marriage stuff isn't nearly as crazy as his brother's, but he's still of the mindset that children who cry after they've been fed and changed are just selfishly manipulating you. Steer clear, but obviously don't ditch the church over it. Our church also has Grace-Based Parenting in the library right next to Paul Tripp's stuff.

I don't like his constant obsession over "we're worms who don't deserve to breathe" Total Depravity stuff. His marriage seminar which he came and presented at our church had some good nuggets in there and there wasn't anything I explicitly disagreed with... but I might disagree with the level of implementation of some of his ideas. The point I remember, (obviously aside from abusive behaviors of any sort) he talked about framing the desire to have your spouse change or do something differently as a desire to change them from the person God created them to be - thus saying "I know better than God how this person should be." The focus of his seminar was how to solve your problems with your spouse by solving immaturity within yourself - which I totally agree with.
ruhama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
dakotablue
Rose Trellis

dakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

So far I haven't been able to go (cancellations, kids being sick ect..)

I think I'm just going to play the, doesn't fit family schedule right now card.

I really would rather agree with these people and try to become friends then fight every other week....cause its a small group and I doubt I'd be able to get away with never voicing my opinion.

Love Bug Boy VBAC 2/11
Lady Bug VBAC 2/13

Happily co-sleeping, breastfeeding, babywearing and homeschooling. gf/df/soy/nut free

enFj
Old 10-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
ruhama
Deactivated

ruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond repute

He married someone well outside his culture so I think that's made him a little more grace-leaning than his brother, but I would not trust his parenting advice simply b/c I have not heard him clearly renounce his brother's message.

Review of his teen parenting book - http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/98649533

Hour-long interview covering his favorite subjects - http://www.crossway.org/blog/2011/12/interview-with-paul-tripp-justin-holcomb-marriage-parenting-and-grace/

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

I think there's a lot you can agree with them on in Paul's materials. I haven't heard his parenting conference, but I think it wouldn't take a lot of gymnastics to agree with theory and simply use different implementations. When he talks about it, I can hear a good way to implement his advice and a bad way to implement his advice and I haven't heard him really weigh in on implementation much.

I'm a little about actually listening to his stuff, but maybe I should just so we can discern where he differs with his brother.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
ruhama
Deactivated

After reading some more, I found a publication by the CCEF (Christian Counseling and Education Foundation) published under paultrippministries website that was written by him and his brother Ted. It seems to be a regurgitation of SACH and even has page and chapter references back to it. He obviously supports his brother's ministry. This is very concerning for me and the first time I've heard of CCEF being entangled with this crap. Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out. It's full of creep.

http://www.paultrippministries.com/assets/1072/Case_for_Kids_Study_Guide_pdf.pdf

So yeah, I'd definitely say steer very, very clear of Paul Tripp for everything. There are other people who say all the good stuff and leave out the bad.

Last edited by ruhama; 10-05-2012 at 11:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ruhama For This Useful Post:
marbles (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
dakotablue
Rose Trellis

I couldn't read the whole thing.

The "how" of spanking....its just so sad and sick and horrible.

Thank you.

Love Bug Boy VBAC 2/11
Lady Bug VBAC 2/13

enFj
Old 09-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
Earthylady
Rose Garden

Earthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond repute

I found this thread cause I searched for what might be on here about Paul Tripp. I just saw that a church I used to attend and have MANY friends still going to was putting on a 5 week parenting class with his stuff. I'm sad in many ways over it. 1) because I have so many friends that go there that I've been trying to teach gentle stuff to for years, and 2) the couple that I see holding the classes and teaching is a girl I was working very closely with when I lived there to show another way of parenting. I feel sad to see people that I invested my heart into now going this direction.

Loving my husband and our 5 kids on Earth plus two in Heaven (7/23/10 @ 4 1/2 weeks) and (10/14/10 @ 10 1/2 weeks)

My newest baby was just born 6/8/14. Woohoo!
Earthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for Earthylady:
Rose5000 (09-25-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthylady View Post
I found this thread cause I searched for what might be on here about Paul Tripp. I just saw that a church I used to attend and have MANY friends still going to was putting on a 5 week parenting class with his stuff. I'm sad in many ways over it. 1) because I have so many friends that go there that I've been trying to teach gentle stuff to for years, and 2) the couple that I see holding the classes and teaching is a girl I was working very closely with when I lived there to show another way of parenting. I feel sad to see people that I invested my heart into now going this direction.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping to hear better about him. I need to use some local Christian resources to help with ds's education and the most obvious one recommends a Paul Tripp seminar so I need to look really hard to find a reason to overlook this enough to think the resource might have better judgement in other areas.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
Earthylady
Rose Garden

Earthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond reputeEarthylady has a reputation beyond repute

What I found when I researched Paul Tripp was that one of his workbooks were available online and it gave instructions on how to spank, including removing "drawers" as he put it.

Loving my husband and our 5 kids on Earth plus two in Heaven (7/23/10 @ 4 1/2 weeks) and (10/14/10 @ 10 1/2 weeks)

My newest baby was just born 6/8/14. Woohoo!
Earthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Earthylady For This Useful Post:
ThreeKids (11-12-2013)