View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #21
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is "Above Rubies" gothardism/quiverful?

I detest Above Rubies. I loathe the messages of Nancy Campbell at her conferences which are FAR different than her magazine. I think she is a freaky radical and those opinions come out at her conferences, I've been to a few, and that she is shrewd enough to know that she can't publish those things on her website or magazine because she'll come under more scrutney. I believe she is a gothardite, despite her saying that she isn't, and she has strong opinions on adoption, histeroctomies, and wife only submission to the point that it can become dangerous. The websites position on spanking is vile. I am NOT against wife only submission to the level of some mamas here, but she takes it to the extreme.

Here are some of my observations from another thread on Above Rubies.

Quote:
They view adoption in a horrific way. Always children who are "lesser than" biological children. I've heard many people in the magazine and at conferences talk about their "adopted' children and their biological children and always being very careful to mark the difference between the two.

Nancy Campbell who started and runs it told a very wonderful Godly friend of mine that she was not able to enjoy the kingdom of God or be a gentle loving mother because she had a hysterectomy when she had uterine cancer. She went on to say that beating a child with a wooden spoon was the most loving thing one could do to a child.

They are BIG BIG Pearl and Gothard people.

Nancy Campbell believes and has said several times that infertility is a punishment from God for sin in the hearts of a women.

Nancy Campbell believes that NOT spanking a child is a sin.

Above Rubies does promote extended breastfeeding and natural normal birth. But they also are incredibly punitive in their parenting views, very pro spanking, pro spanking with instruments etc... Honestly I think that a fully sedated c-section and full formula feeding with very gentle parenting is far more valuable than a natural birth and extending breastfeeding with a life of spankings, beatings, and presenting a punitive view of God. I believe breastfeeding and natural birth are best. However I would trade those in an instant for a life of gentle parenting.
Quote:
There is so much more yuckiness at their conferences. I feel like the magazine is the fairly innocent gateway drug. When you start to get involved in the CDs and the conferences it is absolutely horrifying.
Quote:
Lots of talk of the importance to God of spanking. Lots of negativity about adoption Lots of wife only submission. Lots of nastiness regarding women who are infertile or who have had ovaries or uteruses removed. I have heard in person Nancy Campbell refer to infertility as a punishment from God. As adopted children needing to be cleansed and delivered from the generational sins of their birthfamilies, of women submitting to their husbands even if said husband is leading wife into sin because Sarah let Abraham lead her into what he knew was sin.

It was horrific
Quote:
Yes they encourage adoption and really focus on how much adopted children are loved, almost as much as biological children They see adoption as a salvation ministry first and foremost. Nancy always refers to her adopted children as her adopted children, they are never just her children. She speaks of her children and her adopted children, she always clarifies. She has spoken in the two conferences I've been to about how her adopted children come with generational sin that has to be beaten out of them, and how her biological children don't have these generational sins since they come from Godly families who have broken these curses and sins

Adoption is ONLY a salvation ministry, not a way to build a family. Infertile women are less than fertile women, and Hannah was cursed until she repented of her sin in the temple and poured her heart out to God.

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

I also wanted to add that it is critical for followers of gothard and Pearl to never discipline their children in front of others outside of the family. Most will appear very very gentle to the outsider, even those who are staying with them for a period, because they are instructed that discipline should only be done in the presence of family never ever where outsiders can see it. Some Gothard movements even instruct their followers to publicly distance themselves from Gothard because unless you are enlightened by God you won't "understand" There is a reason that the Duggars appear to be a very gentle family on television, but I guarantee you they spank.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Can'tTurnLeft For This Useful Post:
BHope (03-21-2010), domesticzookeeper (03-22-2010), Maggie (03-30-2010), motherofboys (06-23-2012), Rabbit (03-21-2010), Stiina (04-13-2012), sweetpeasmommy (03-21-2010), Zooey (03-21-2010)

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05836 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,989KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below