View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #39
abh5e8
Deactivated

abh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kirk Cameron and Ted Tripp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers_Princess View Post
So has Tripp officially retracted his teachings from the first book in the second? I have seen such things before, where a pastor or other leader will publish a book with something of a disclaimer in the author's notes or prologue that says something about God changing their heart/opening their eyes and that they apologize for anyone mislead or damage caused by their previous teachings, but that they were teaching what they fully believed to be God's will as they perceived it at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Little Feet View Post
I don't think Tripp has retracted his stance on spanking, I believe that IACH is not an updated version a SACH but a accompaniment to it. I watched the preview fro IACH DVD and it it talks about, "foundation for corrective discipline", first time obedience, and keeping kids inside the circle God has drawn for them. It still sounds like the same old Tripp to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterwife View Post
The bolded part keeps jumping out at me...the same shaming, "this is your fault that I have to chastise/spank/punish you" mindset as it has always been.

Granted I don't have the entire context, but the wording of this still sends up alarm bells for me.

I am also interested to know if he has retracted his older teachings. If he hasn't/won't - that makes it clear where his heart/theology remain.
well, they [SACH] are still being sold all over the internet. apparently he still believes in them enough to make a little $$ off of them. i can only imagine and assume that as a pastor if you actually had a change of heart and felt your previous work was harmful or incorrect you would make sure to take those books off the market.

i did notice that the 1998 version of SACH is "revised and updated." anyone know what those changes may have been about?

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striving4Grace View Post
I'm very sorry that is how you perceived his position through the book. I attend the church that he pastors and that is not at all what he teaches, believes or advocates. I have been told not to spank my children at all and encouraged more than I am ready to recount at the moment on my recovery from parenting ala Pearl. In fact if you even mention the TTUAC book you can see visible disgust in the eyes of Pastor Tedd and Margy. They are very kind, patient and loving people and I do admit it doesn't necessarily come though in the book but my entire family owes them a debit of gratitude as the healing that has happened as we have detoxed from TTUAC is amazing and for the very first time I can see that my children's salvation most certainly does not depend on anything outside of Christ.

I understand that there are a great deal of ladies here who find even the mere concept of spanking so repugnant that it is impossible to see those who advocate it as anything but monsters themselves writing child abuse manuals and I agree with that in regards to the Pearls due to my own experience.

I am here to learn more about gentle discipline using logical consequences since that is what type of discipline I was advised to use.
thank you so much for your courage to share!!! and welcome and hugs to GCM. we are so glad you are hear. i'm glad TT offered you such wonderful advice. i'm curious as to why though, as it goes against so much of his published and written work.

the second bold is mine....and i just wanted to clarify, while that is the statement of beliefs of GCM, the teachings of TT go far beyond the "mere concept of spanking." they advocate spanking an infant of less than 9 months of age, admitidedly even before knowing if that child in fact is exhibiting true "rebellion."

SACH Page 154 "You have no way of knowing how much a child a year old or less can understand of what you say, but we do know that understanding comes long before the ability to articulate does….When our oldest child was approximately 8 months old….Obviously he was old enough to be disciplined.”

and finally....just an added concern of mine is his use of proof-texting scripture. his use of hebrews 12:11 is grossly out of context. this verse is directed to adults facing persecution for their faith, not children being physically hit by their parents.

SACH Page 152 “We have always been guided by Hebrews 12:11 ‘No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.’ If discipline has not yielded a harvest of peace and righteousness, it is not finished. On some occasions we have had to say to our children, ‘Dear, Daddy has spanked you, but you are not sweet enough yet. We are going to have to go back upstairs for another spanking.”

the misuse of scripture is very important to me, and is enough to consider the works of this person not something that would be helpful in learning and loving the scriptures and our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

just wanted to add this...as they spanking is not the ONLY issue i have with the teachings of TT.
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to abh5e8 For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (03-20-2010), CapeTownMommy (03-21-2010), erinee (03-20-2010), Maggirayne (03-20-2010), NewLeaf (03-21-2010), Six Little Feet (03-20-2010), sweetpeasmommy (03-20-2010), Treenahurricane (03-20-2010)

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.22187 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,999KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below