View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #20
Teacher Mom
Rose Garden

Teacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spin off: Home school vs. public school at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi*Mum
I am not trying to be snarky...and I am not mad..but I honestly was up until 2am this morning dwelling on this statement and trying to assign positive intent. I KNOW you are not trying to be hurtful or venomous and I know that it is more of an irritation of how the government is working to chip away at all the rights that HSers have worked to gain. I just know that if I find hurt in these words, being a mom that is now anti-VSing...then how must the mom who is still VSing or preparing to VS feeling

thank you for trying to assign positive intent because I did not mean to hurt you or anyone.

I could hear the hurt and pain in your post and it just makes me angry that the requirements the public schools impose are such that make moms lose their confidence in their ability to teach their own child. You are their mother. Of course, you can teach your own child. You have been doing it all along. You do not need a degree in order to do that. You are their teacher.

As Crystal said in the other thread (after this one was started), this IS why the public schools have did this. Sadly when people are deciding to home school or not, they will call their local school or state for information. That is the last place you should be calling. They are not going to tell you the laws of home schooling because odds are they do not even know. It is HARD to find the information needed. I remember. I never heard of HSLDA. I didn't have the internet yet. I felt like a fish out of water trying to learn about something that no one seemed to know anything about. The only home schooling family I knew used BJU and I did not want to use that. I remember asking her who I had to contact to get "permission" to teach my kids.

I finally learned of a group from my local library. Then I went to so many meetings. I learned from veteran home schooling families who were passing the torch so to speak. I always thought, kids turn five, I need to register them. Off they go. I never knew I could keep them at home. This is a freedom that the government is trying to change over time by calling it the same name that home schoolers who did it on their own have been using for over 30 years in our countries current history. Ok. Current. History. I just made myself laugh.

I hope that I am making more sense about this. Hearing these families talk about how superintendants used to make their lives awful, just awful is why I want to make sure that more people understand the distinction.

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.04735 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,965KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below