View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #13
ShepherdsWife
Rose Bouquet

Full-time Mom to DS 8/13/12, Wife to the Sheep Man, and Rancher to 8000 momma sheep(ewes) :)

ShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant future
Default Re: NGJ New Addition to To Train Up a Child

Well, the research they sighted if you scan the article was from teams studying kids to see whether or not spanking was detrimental. They supposedly found it wasn't and was actually the opposite. I want to find the research information. I'm sure it is available and published somewhere. Below, is one of the quotes.

"Dr. Diana Baumrind of the University of California, Berkeley, aided by teams of professional researchers, conducted what many consider to be the most extensive and methodologically thorough child development study ever done. They examined 164 families for over a decade, tracking their children from age four to fourteen. Baumrind found that “spanking can be helpful in certain contexts” and discovered “no evidence for unique detrimental effects of normative physical punishment.” The study also revealed that children who were never spanked tended to have behavioral problems, and were not more competent than their peers as other professionals had suggested."

I do think that an excellent point was made MariJo7 when you reminded everyone that the Pearl's recommend spanking starting very early. I have read their book and it is earlier than 10 months. More like 6 months or earlier because one section talks about before they can crawl giving little swats to teach them to not roll off their blanket.

I will say that the one thing I feel Pearl does have in his favor, because I have found a few rather non-religious people mention it in conversation is the fact that most studies are concerning delinquents and jailed individuals or those with obvious mental problems. I have heard comments like, "i was spanked, most of this research is done on kids with parents who beat their kids in the face or were alcoholic and drug dealers anyway.That was the source of their problems." I think that many, many people feel the same way. Pearl points that line of thinking out.
I am as against spanking as anyone, but I would appreciate some research which studies some "responsible spankers". I say that carefully because I know we don't believe spanking is responsible, but I also believe that though it may be wrong, my friend's mother who spanked and smacked her regularly in the face when angry was much worse than my friend whose mother always remained calm and was the model of broken hearted, loving mother when she spanked.

Maybe some of the more studied and veteran moms here could address the above. I was hoping that there is actually some research I'm unaware of. Mostly, I'm wondering in a conversation when someone brings this up, how do you address it? While it may be a wrong conclusion of spanking people come to, it is also a reasonable question. I usually have no answer when asked this, and I have been asked this, other than to sight my own personal conscience and beliefs about modeling in my life the character and actions I want for my children.
DD December 2014
ShepherdsWife is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.04636 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,961KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end