View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common sense and intuition

Interesting topic . To me there's two/three separate categories here:
*People whose intuition/common sense has been warped by crappy teaching/upbringing - they're using it, it's just calibrated wrong.
*People who are naturally inclined to place ideas over reality, and so ignore/plow through reality-based evidence that their beloved ideas aren't working out - i.e. ignore common sense by nature. I think Ns, particularly introverted Ns, are prone to this (no, I don't resemble that remark ).
*People who've been trained to place ideas (usually a certain idea or a certain leader's ideas) over reality, and so ignore intuition/common sense despite themselves. This is probably more likely to happen in people-pleasing types and obedience to authority types.

I do think that intuition/common sense operates in most people unless they're been trained out of it (which takes time), or are one of the relatively rare types that ignores it by nature (and even they have it, they just don't want to listen to it sometimes, and can kind of train themselves out of it). The thing is that it is calibrated by life experiences, and if they weren't healthy, then your intuition/common sense is likewise not healthy, and can in fact steer you wrong. You have a false sense of what is normal.

Personally, I mostly relate to #2 - I find it easy to get carried away with being logically consistent, and if it weren't for my common sense having been trained up by a very realistic and practical mom, I'd have gotten into a *lot* of trouble. (Also, the fact that I'm naturally lazy has saved me a lot, too - I've had tons of Grand Plans that were probably ill-advised that I would have jumped into with both feet except that it was too much work . Seriously, saved me from a possible bout with anorexia in high school - had everything but the willpower to carry it off .)

To me Vision Forum and their brand of patriarchy falls under this - it is the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood position taken to it's logical extreme. There is *nothing* but common sense keeping CBMW from VF. But the fact that way more people are CBMW-style complementarians than VF-style patriarchs illustrates that, for most people, most of the time, common sense functions well enough to keep people from going (entirely) off the rails.

Anyway, the ideas you said contributed to your ignoring common sense - most of them I'd agree with, at least in certain situations. #1 - I *do* believe babies are born sinful - but that doesn't mean I believe that *I* can do something about that sin (let alone that spanking is what can do something about it ). And #2 - that *is* true, in some situations - but it gets horribly misapplied. And people can and do honestly differ on what is necessary . #3 - Parenting *is* hard, and seeking out wisdom from others *is* a good idea . It's just that uncritically adopting that wisdom against your better judgement isn't a good idea. And #4 has some nuggets of truth, but is totally twisted around and abused and does so. much. damage.

This is why doctrine *matters*. Slightly wrong foundations can lead to really, really dangerously wrong applications. There's a *reason* why the early church slugged it out over minute differences in doctrine over Christ and the atonement - that is the core of our faith, and differences there, far from not mattering b/c they are so (apparently) far from our daily life, are the most important thing to get right because everything else flows from it. We don't give a book/parenting philosophy a pass b/c common sense prevents most people from going overboard with its bad ideas. Why do we give theologies/churches a pass, excuse the excesses *that came directly from carrying their doctrine to its logical conclusion* (as opposed to those that came from ignoring or changing doctrine)?

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
gdzprncess (01-16-2012), GraemesMomma (01-15-2012), Katigre (01-15-2012), light of mine (01-15-2012), PaperMomma (01-19-2012), SweetCaroline (01-16-2012), Tasmanian Saint (01-18-2012), teamommy (01-16-2012), Zooey (01-16-2012)

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05468 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,993KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below