View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 07:30 AM   #6
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do w pork loin? And do I ask for it cut?

Perhaps you could roast it in the oven. I often do that. I don't have any recipies, I just do it. You might like some of these:

If it is a very lean piece of meat, you can roast it in 175 degrees Celsius (you probably need to convert it) until the temperature inside is 80 degrees Celsius. (a meat thermometer is really helpful. If you do not have one, you should take about one hour per one kilogram meat.
Rub the meat with salt and pepper and other herbs and scices of your choice. Put it on an oven dish and shove the meat into the oven. When it is ready, take it out, cover the meat with aluminium foil or put a lid on the dish and let the meat reat for about half an hour. Use the juice of the meat to make a nice, creamy sauce. Cut the meat into thin slices. Serve it with potatoes and vegetables or anything else you fancy.

If it is a rather fat piece of meat, you can roast it slowly in the oven for a very long time. The lower the temperature the longer you can roast it. I prefer to "forget" the meat in an oven of 125-150 degrees celsius, for the entire day. I start with 150 degrees for the first two hours and then I put it lower. I'd say 4 hours is a minimum time. The longer you roast it the nicer it becomes. You might need to ad some water on the oven dish.
You can season the pork any way you like. I prefer simple things like sea salt, white pepper, thyme and rosemary. You can also cut some deep cuts in the meat and push some toes of garlic into them. If the pork still has some skin or any visible kind of fat, place the meat on the dish in such a way that the fatty parts are on top. They will work like a "foil" and prevent the meat from drying. The fat can be removed when it's ready and you start to eat. Some folks, though, don't mind some fat. If that's the case, enjoy it .
And when the meat is realy...you should have a wonderful pulled pork.

If you have a moderately fat piece of meat (not too fat and not too skinny either), you might like to make a Karelian steak of some kind. That's probably the easiest way to cook any meat.
Cut the meat into cubes and put them onto a deep oven dish or a pan. Add a bay leaf, salt and other herbs of your choice (I use black pepper, cellery seeds, caraway seeds and fennel seeds). Then add some water. The water should just and almost cover the meat but not more than that. Shove the dish into an oven of about 150-175 degrees celsius. You van strart with 175 degrees for the first hour and then cover it, put it lower (150 degrees) and forget about it for the next 2-3 hours.

Karelian steak is served with mashed potatoes and vegetables of the season. Real traditional Karelian steak is made of beef, pork and lamb cubes. When you buy carelian steak here on the grocery store it is made of beef and pork mixed. I have made it of pork alone and of beef alone. Beef takes more time than pork. You can also put some big pieces of carrot, red beets or other root vegetables into the Karelian steak.

Karelian steak can also be made in a Duch Oven or a cooking pot on the stove. I have not tried a crock pot or a slow cooker but I suppose that might work just as well.

Pork can be seasoned in many ways. My favorites are simple things like thyme, garlic, white pepper and rosemary. Someone else may like hot spices. Lean pork meat "begs" for fresh dairy butter or cream. Fat pork meat does not need any extra oil or fat.
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MariJo7 For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (10-04-2017)

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.35846 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,970KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start