View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 07:48 AM   #66
hsgbdmama
Deactivated

Yeah, it's winter here ...

hsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Created To Be His Help Meet by Debi Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitted_in_the_womb
Quote:
But my earlier point was that she does not say to put up with the abuse, saying that it's somehow the wife's fault anyway; rather, she says to call the authorities and testify.
I don't know...according to Spunky's review (I haven't read the book myself) there is a lot of double-speak in regards to reporting abuse. Michael apparentl writes some portion that talks about how the wife is not to be trying to determine if her husband has overstepped his authority because that would be stepping out of her submissive position. He also talks about suffering in silence being a Godly behavior.
Okay, I pulled out my book, and MP does say to allow some abuse :

Quote:
God does not step in and divest a father of his authority when he proves to be short tempered and neglects h is children, or when he is excessive in his corporal punishment (emphasis mine), as long as it does not cross the line that would violate the just laws of the land or slip into the category of violence against another human being. (261)
He also uses 1 Peter to justify some abuse:

Quote:
You will surely wonder, "Why is it the will of God for the underling to suffer at the hands of an unjust and perverse authority?" Two reasons are obvious, one of which we have already stated. First, the chain of authority must remain intact, even to the point of allowing some abuse (emphasis mine ). The other reason is introduced in verse 20 -- glory. (263)
I stand corrected. Maybe I subconsciously blocked this stuff out!

And then we have the crown jewel:

Quote:
If you are not at least moderately versed in Scripture and in the will and ways of God, this doctrine of suffering abuse in silence for the glory of God will amaze you. ... This is the normal Christian life that we are advocating. ... Suffering for him brings joy unspeakable and full of glory (1 Peter 1:8). ... You must be a worshipper of God and enjoy his presence if you are going to suffer for his sake and it result in great glory. (265)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitted_in_the_womb
And of course there is the issue that they never give actual examples of women reporting abuse to the authorities, but rather women who chose to endure even in very extreme situations.
Acutally there are. Following this section (starting on p. 266), the first example is a "sodomite predator" where the Pearls did tell her to call the authorities and she did, as the abuser is in prison (albeit still married to the guy). There is another one on p. 267 where the husband commanded the wife to help with robbery -- again, the Pearls did tell her to turn him in and she did (but is remaining married to him).

However, one other example on p. 269, where the husband tells his wife to stop attending church, the Pearls say stop attending. I'm going to make a guess and say that Michael Pearl never ordered Debi to stop attending church, so they really have no point of reference here. I had been asked to stop attending church and I said no, and I have been blessed for standing my ground. We have been commanded to worship Him, so I feel I would be violating His word by not worshipping.
hsgbdmama is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.10730 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,973KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo