View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
DoulaClara
Rose Garden

DoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond reputeDoulaClara has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First-Time Obedience?

2Cor1:8-10, have you checked out the GOYB parenting site yet? I think it's linked in the GD forum, but if not, here it is:
http://goybparenting.com/

The general idea is that we are on our feet when our children are small, showing them that words mean actions. Take a look at Crystal's explanation of the "Five Step" process as well. First Time Obedience, as it's taught generally by non-GBD parents (or just non-gentle parents in general) is arbitrary, punitive, and is training rather than teaching.

I have a 2.75 year old, as well! This is truly an age where it's time for the feet to hit the floor, if they haven't already. Gianna has certainly been displaying this quite a bit lately:
"Gianna, the dog's knotted rope is not for your mouth- let go." <Gianna grins mischievously and shakes the grotty dog toy, which has been outside all winter, in her mouth.>
Now, I could do one of a few things here.
- I could go the begging/cajoling/talking her to death route, which teaches her nothing outside of, "Mom's words mean nada," and she doesn't follow through with the action. That looks like: "Come on! Get it out! Now! Drop it! Do it now! Gianna, that's yucky- that's for the dog. Get it out of your mouth! Now!" and so forth.
- I could demand First Time Obedience- "Let it go NOW." And then follow the command, when she hasn't jumped to right away, with a punitive action. This probably will eventually train her to do exactly what I say, when I say it, but she not only will learn absolutely nothing, but she will learn a harmful precedent that she's not allowed to think about and evaluate what she is being told. I may as well have built a robot than had a child.
- I could Get Off My Butt and actively parent. This does many things- it shows her what needs to be done, and how to do it. It shows her that Mom's words do mean to follow it up with an action. It gets the job done, in other words, the goal of getting a disgusting dog toy out of her mouth is accomplished. So:
"Gianna, the dog's knotted rope is not for your mouth- let go."
<Gianna grins mischievously and shakes the grotty dog toy, which has been outside all winter, in her mouth.>
I am already near her, and I get down to where she is. I've allowed five or so seconds, so that I know there has been enough time for her ear to hear the request, and her brain to process what it means. This is very key- small kids cannot CANNOT just process the words as they leave the adult's mouth. I hold the toy, and repeat the request: "This isn't safe. Take it out. Do you need help, or can you do it?" In this case, she just did it. If I were to help her, the help is NOT supposed to be a punishment. Crystal outlines in her "Five Steps" thread about how and why. And then, the issue is over.

Sorry OP, I get chatty. I agree that breastfeeding is its own set of boundaries. When it deals with your own body, truly, it's time for lots of talk about "If...then..." and then for sure, find a way to unlatch her comfortably.
CarissaJoy (03-19-2010), curlymopmom (03-12-2010), Herbwifemama (03-18-2010), homesteadmama (03-11-2010), Maggirayne (03-11-2010)

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.04842 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,976KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below