View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 01:53 AM   #4
GCM_Sticky
master maker of stickies

GCM_Sticky has disabled reputation
Default Re: Collected Paste Posts about Biting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: He Keeps Biting Me!
Post by: brandi on July 24, 2007, 04:19:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do I teach DS not to bite me? He doesn't bite DH or anyone else for that matter. How do I get him to stop bitting?

Title: Re: He Keeps Biting Me!
Post by: Amber on July 24, 2007, 04:33:25 PM

Both my kids have done this...only to me, rarely to dh. It was usually in play, or when he wanted me to interact with him. I would tell him "No, biting. Biting hurts." If I was holding him I would set him down, or if I was sitting down I would sometimes get up and move away if he persisted. I also worked on teaching him to give kisses So if I saw him going in for a bite I could tell him to give kisses.

They did out grow it...although Kyle still likes to nibble on toes occasionally

Title: Re: He Keeps Biting Me!
Post by: Joanne on July 25, 2007, 09:36:32 AM

Quick cut and paste on biting:

Biting

Biting is a common behavior in young children. It’s one that parents react strongly too, both the parents of the biting child and the parents of the children who get bitten. In my daycare, I experienced the most passionate responses from parents over issues involving biting.

Some children are more prone to biting than others. You’ll see biting emerge around the 1 year mark and disappear around age 3.

Many children who bite have a high oral need for stimulation. They seek sensation using their mouth. If you can increase appropriate stimulation to their mouth, you can decrease the frequency of biting. There are several ways to do this. You can increase the chewy foods a child eats, such as fruit leather or bagels. Increase spicy foods such as sausage or salsa. Offer hot or cold foods, such as smoothies or soup. Finally, have the child use a straw often.

When biting does occur, remove the child from the immediate area. Say “No biting. Biting hurts”. Look at the situation, and if you can identify what the bite was used to communicate, offer substitute words. Coach the child to say “I need space” or “I’d like a turn” or “I’m angry”. If the child is not yet verbal, you can use baby signs.

For the toddler or younger, offer a designated toy for biting. “You may not bite people, you may bite this.”

If your child continues to bite with frequency, you will need to provide constant and arms reach supervision until your child has moved out of this stage.

Title: Gentle Discipline for 11 month old biter?
Post by: naturallia on June 12, 2007, 07:23:27 PM

DS is an explorer in every sense of the word!

I came close to swatting him today and I need help!

Situation 1:
I'm playing with him on the floor, stacking blocks for him to knock down and he will grab my hand and bite it so hard it drew blood.

Situation 2:
When nursing him, he will pinch my arm and when I trap his free arm under my armpit, he'll fuss until I let his arms free again. Then he pinches again!

Also, when nursing him, if I am typing one handed or reading a book or eating or whatever (it's at the side) he will feel around for it with his foot and then kick it hard over and over, ending up with my food all over his feet or this kind of thing "fdlkshnal;gjvad;lkvjgl;kawejf" on my emails or posts or make me lose my place in my book.

Situation 3:
He's an explorer, so I put cardboard boxes in the living room for him to cruise around and play in and he will still go to the places I don't want him into and he's like houndini, he'll figure out a way to get past the fences I have up and into the kitchen or the bathroom. Also, when he leans against the television (it's almost always off),I grab his feet and playfully pull him away but that just ends up with him throwing a fit so I tried a different approach of gathering him into my arms and redirecting him to another activity which ends up with him biting me

I hope you get the idea. He loves exploring and isn't really misbehaving, but I am so frustrated and I'm not sure how to put gentle discipline into practice when a swat on the hand seems easier. (I haven't done that..... yet)

Title: Re: Gentle Discipline for 11 month old biter?
Post by: klpmommy on June 12, 2007, 07:40:00 PM

For some of those bites- do you think he might be trying to kiss you? Both of my kids at that age wanted to kiss but had no clue how to do it & it would end up being a bite. I called them "kisses with teeth" & worked hard to teach them no teeth when kissing. That involved a lot of catching them just before the teeth bit me & pulling back saying "Thank you for the kiss, Mommy loves kisses! Can you kiss me again?" etc. I got a few good bites in that time, but it helped fairly quickly.

My other thought- any reaction at all they often thought was a game. So my "NO BITING" and "Biting hurts" didn't do a thing, but putting baby down, walking away, etc was more effective b/c they wanted Mommy. And I wasn't GBD with P at that age, slapping his hand did not work. I had to slap his hand VERY hard to make any impact on him (other than thinking it was a game) and even then I knew it was too much so I didn't do it anymore.

Can you use gates rather than furniture to block off areas? Furniture is easier to climb than baby gates.

It is so hard when we are getting hurt. I always want to revert to being punitive when the kids are hurting me. It is a struggle to not react back that way.

Post by: mamaKristin on June 12, 2007, 07:53:26 PM

I'm currently , but she's mostly asleep, so you probably won't get extra typing from her!

It is so hard when you are getting hurt.

If he's tending towards biting, I find it really helpful to be 'ahead of the curve' to head it off. When you are in a time when it seems like he's leaning in for a bite, you can stop him before it happens. When my littlest was going through a biting phase, I would kind of hold her face in my hand and say firmly "no biting". Her key biting phases are almost always tied to teething - could he be getting some new teeth?

With the nursing issues, I would stop nursing if he wasn't being gentle with hands or feet on you. My youngest will get physically aggressive sometimes, and I will stop nursing her and remind her to use gentle hands. I don't have to put her down and walk away, but I have done it if it's been particularly bad. At that age, I have had to tone down my own activities (typing, reading, whatever) when nursing - it's just not worth the frustration, and they generally want my attention.

As for the 'into everything' stuff? Babyproofing. Serious baby proofing. Making your house as safe as possible for him, even if it means moving things around. We ended up moving our bookshelves around when our oldest was a baby because the struggle to keep him out of it was just too frustrating for us all. I tell most parents I know that babyproofing is not a one time thing, but an ongoing action to keep up with what your child is into. Baby gates, bolting furniture to walls, moving the tv as far back as possible,,,it's an ongoing thing.

Post by: naturallia on June 13, 2007, 02:13:00 PM

Thank you for the helpful replies!

I guess I just have to be patient. Gentle discipline won't show its results overnight, even if I did that right from birth.

Come to think of it, is there any method of childrearing that has immediate results? :hmm

I guess I just have to remind myself of that.

Post by: ArmsOfLove on June 13, 2007, 02:55:41 PM

he's probably teething so I'd start by treating that (homeopathically or conventionally)

increase oral stimulation--hot/cold/spicy/lemonade/ice/straws/hard/soft/etc

You can break a bite with your finger at the back of his mouth between his gums; you can prevent it with a forefinger very gently pressed under his chin (practice on yourself, it's very gentle pressure)

As for the exploring--make sure he has lots of yeses and only the no's you're willing to deal with the upset over If you can, move it up and away

Title: Biting
Post by: LittleSweetPeas on February 07, 2006, 10:47:08 PM

My almost 3 year old DD bit my 6 month old this morning. This is her first time biting outside of her teething stage. I asked her why and she told me she wanted to do it and wanted her sister to cry. We've been having a few problems with her which I am attributing mostly to delayed sibling jealousy. I am wondering what others of you do in regards to biting? She honestly bit her out of nowhere.

Title: Re: Biting
Post by: erinee on February 08, 2006, 04:43:41 AM

Mostly at this age, I think I would just supervise all of their interactions very closely and make sure she gets some extra-special positive attention every day. Give her words to say when she's feeling like she needs your attention at any given moment, because even if you feel she is getting plenty of attention, if she needs you at *that* time, she'll forget all the other attention you've given her the rest of the day, KWIM?).

I've also read that kids use biting sometimes to show affection (thinking it's like kissing), but it sounds to me like it's a cause/effect kind of thing, giving her a sense of control (I can do this and make the baby have this reaction). Maybe you could teach her to get a reaction in a positive way, like how to make the baby laugh or smile.

I know it must be hard to see her hurt the baby.

Title: Re: Biting
Post by: Radosny Matka on February 08, 2006, 08:39:36 PM

I didn't come out of nowhere. There is always a reason for behavior. Sometimes that reason is not obvious. This could have been a jealousy issue and this is how she lashed out.

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.08554 seconds
  • Memory Usage 7,008KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below