View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #39
hopeforchange
Deactivated

hopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hand Sanitizer -- yea or nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post
I'll explain why we don't do this.

If someone has to use the toilet we obviously use the sink and soap provided and wash hands.

If we have just been in the store, museum, etc. and have not used the toilet we do not wash our hands until we get home.

We have made extraordinary efforts to reduce our exposure to chemicals because of our personal experiences. My dh almost died from an autoimmune disease that is almost always caused by chemical exposure. I am NOT saying that washing your hands w/ conventional, chemical-laden soaps will give you PNH or aplastic anemia but that our philosophy of health does not include avoiding as many "germs" as possible at the expense of exposing ourselves to chemicals. The soaps in the stores have parabens, synthetic fragrances, synthetic dyes, and are generally a whole cocktail of things that I do not want near my body. When I do have to wash my hands in public I simply cannot wait to get home and scrub that awful "fragrance" off myself!

If I had to choose between a few more acute illnesses per year like colds or flu versus exposing my family to chemicals on a regular basis that, over time, will lead to chronic illness, I choose the acute illnesses. As it turns out, it's been a win-win for both.

As soon as I found out I was pregnant w/ my first, I threw out all the anti-bac soaps in our house. As she got older, I replaced all my "disinfecting" cleaning supplies w/ more natural versions. Our diets have changed drastically. Nothing in our house has synthetic fragrances or colors. We have been sick LESS often because, we believe, our bodies are not taxed w/ trying to constantly detoxify from chemicals at the same time it is fighting off pathogens.

My kids get 1-2 colds per year and typically get one fever per year. They've never needed an Rx for anything or even a doctor visit for an acute illness (when Gracie was little I did take her a few times just to be told what I already knew--rest and fluids. Oh and one time I took her in for croup but never filled the Rx's and treated her myself. She was completely better in 24 hours.) Dh and I rarely get sick even though I'm in close intimate contact w/ my kids when they're sick.

I don't disinfect my home, I clean it to remove dirt and oils where "germs" can cling. We don't wear shoes in the house either because that just seems like kicking myself to make it harder to clean.

We believe our immune systems were designed to fight off pathogens and that we NEED exposure to pathogens so that the immune system can do it's job. My dh's white cell counts are still not in the normal range but he's not on any restrictions and he even rarely get sick. Master Tonic and vit d seem to support his system enough so that even w/ diminished white cell count his body is doing it's job.

Based on my dh's experience, I think he would throw a fit if he saw me using all those soaps in the stores.

Anyway, I'm not selling anything and I do understand there's another perspective but wanted to share ours.
lisa, i would to hear more about how you transitioned to the no chemicals/fragrances/colors. also about how you clean your house vs. disinfect it.

i definitely agree about us needing to be exposed to things in order for our immune system to be strengthened. i am so unconcerned about germs that i would prolly totally freak some of you out. but my dd is rarely sick and has only been on one antibiotic in her life. i recently bought some hand sanitizer only b/c all the swine flu stuff made me paranoid, but i guess i'll toss it now.
hopeforchange is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05318 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,968KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo