View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #111
arctic oak
Rose Blossom

"...like trees planted by streams of water" Psalm 1

arctic oak is a glorious beacon of lightarctic oak is a glorious beacon of lightarctic oak is a glorious beacon of lightarctic oak is a glorious beacon of lightarctic oak is a glorious beacon of lightarctic oak is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Home-keeping Schedules

I've just realised in reading all these posts from you lovely ladies that I am more into doing, thinking about, and talking about household chores than I ever thought possible! It seems to consume me these days, but I am trying not to be a perfectionist so that I can also have a balanced life with the kids! Now that #3 is about to be born I maybe need to tone down my expectations in order to stay sane!

My 4 year old told me the other day that I need to learn to live with chaos! I think he's right, but in the meantime my home-keeping schedule is pretty non-stop! So rather than have a weekly schedule like lots of moms out there, I just do things a bit at a time all day, every day- with bigger chores whenever they seem to really need done.

In the morning I make breakfast first (between pregnancy and 2 hungry tummies to feed that is my priority!)- when the kids have mostly finished eating but are still busy with food, I run around making beds, throwing laundry in, doing breakfast dishes, getting snack ready for later, folding diapers, etc. So I do laundry (clothes and/or diapers) every day.

I try to incorporate the boys in the bigger cleaning things- I have dish mops that look like mini floor mops, so they can "help" me wash the floor, they play with the vacuum when I have it out, and I wash the bathroom while they are in the tub. All this is easier now that my youngest is walking and stable in the bath- having another is sure to slow me down for the first while. But even when my youngest was a year old, I'd put him in the sling facing out while I washed the floor (he was at least 25 pounds then, so it was a bit of a workout!).

If I have a chore to do that I need to keep the boys away from (like washing the fridge- they helped at first last time and then I got scared for the eggs!) then I set them up with a craft and confine my 21 month old to his high chair while he colours (usually his tummy rather than the paper).

For me, it's all about being organised in the first place (knowing where things go) and making the most of the minutes when the boys are happy playing. And they love to help so I've had to learn that it might take longer to do something, but they'll be happier if I involve them.

Oh yeah, I also go out as much as possible so the boys let out their energy on something other than the house! They can make as much mess with stones, sand and snow as they like!- or run off steam at community activities. I'm really fortunate to live in a place where there's lots going on for kids.

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.06994 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,956KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below