View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 PM   #4
GCM_Sticky
master maker of stickies

GCM_Sticky has disabled reputation
Default Re: Collected Past Posts about Screaming

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: 2 year old screaming
Post by: toymama on October 13, 2005, 11:14:05 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew just turned 2 last month. Lately he has started screaming alot (more like shrieking) all the time. I have noticed he does it when he is excited or when he is mad. I don't mind kids being loud sometimes but the high pitch scream out of nowhere drives me crazy. I have tried to talk quietly to him and explained the inside, outside voice, but when try to talk quietly to him, he can't hear me because he is being so loud.

This is the situation we are having a problem with now. When I pick my boys up from daycare they both sit in the back. Austin loves to talk and usually talks about his day all the way home. Andrew started screaming one day and Austin started throwing a fit because he didn't want to hear the screaming. At that minute I seen Andrew's eyes light up. He loved that he could get that reaction out of Austin. That was 3 weeks ago and almost every day we go through the same thing. I have tried to talk to Austin about the way he responds but he isn't getting it. It's to the point now that as soon as Austin opens his mouth, Andrew starts screaming.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have tried singing a song, talking to both of them and ignoring the whole thing.

Title: Re: 2 year old screaming
Post by: Senta on October 13, 2005, 11:16:08 AM

man, no advice but i can empathize with the screaming... since i just have christel it isnt causing any other breakdowns though... that you figure it out.. bring andrew over here and he and christel can have a screaming contest to see who shatters the windows first!

Post by: OpalsMom on October 13, 2005, 01:20:00 PM

Try having screaming time. We don't scream in the car. We have to get all our screaming done before we get in the car. Scream now! Louder than that! Is that all the screams? You sure? Just one more! Ok, we're all done screaming, let's get in the car and go. No screaming now, we're in the car. You can scream when we get home, before we go inside. You may have to also stop the car if there's screaming.

I have to admit, I haven't done this with screaming, just with kicking during diaper changes, although I've heard people say it worked for them. I did once teach a cat not to yowl for food while I was cooking with a variation of this trick though (taught it to yowl back whenever I yowled, then stopped yowling, and then only yowled first when I was willing to play.)

Post by: MarynMunchkins on October 13, 2005, 01:26:29 PM

I constantly play music in the car to help keep the screaming at bay. Honestly, the major reason we bought a van was so that no one could reach each other to hit them when it got too loud.

Post by: toymama on October 13, 2005, 02:38:14 PM

Quote from: MarynMunchkins on October 13, 2005, 01:26:29 PM
I constantly play music in the car to help keep the screaming at bay. Honestly, the major reason we bought a van was so that no one could reach each other to hit them when it got too loud.

I have thought about putting Austin's seat up front for that reason. The screaming usually leads into hitting.

I have tried singing that song JohnJacobJingle..... were you scream loud at the end but I've done that in the car. I'll try doing it before we get in. But it sometimes when I talk to Andrew it's like he is looking right past me. I know he understands me but he doesn't want to listen at all. When I tell him to use his quiet voice he screams louder.

Title: 14 month old screaming - help!
Post by: meldogsun on October 14, 2005, 09:54:58 AM

Hey, there. I'm a newbie from DC and this is my first post, so here goes...

My daughter has just started these ear-piercing screams. Sometimes it's to get our attention while eating that she wants more (she normally does sign language, but if we're not intentionally staring at her, we may not see it the first time.) Sometimes she just shrieks when she's happy. But the main frustration is when she doesn't get her way. I've tried to communicate through signs that it "hurts mommy's ears." I'm trying to do the inside/outside voice distinction, but I don't think she's going to understand that anytime soon. I'm reflecting feelings, but it doesn't necessarily make the screaming stop. I've also done the "silent scream" face which she thinks is funny, but this last time, I didn't have the humor in me to do it. Plus the timing was bad - one of our housemates was making an important phone call and I just needed to get her out of the room.

And I'm not happy with my reaction. When that scream hits my ear drums, it triggers a reaction from me similar to if someone slaps you in the face. I realize that she's not purposely trying to hurt me or make me upset (though I wonder when she does it the next time and then shakes her head "no" like she knows she's not supposed to do it.) My response is to hold a grudge almost - like she did this 15 minutes ago, my ears are still ringing a bit and I'm mad at her and therefore giving her bare minimum interaction. I want her to play by herself and give me space (can't wait til she's old enough for the comfort corner, although I think I may be using it more than her...). And I think she can tell because she does this "look at how cute I am" face to get my attention. (Does God ever "need space" from us? Poor guy should....)

Anyway, I'm just at a loss as to what to do and I'd love some of the "GCM great ideas" that I've found in the last few months of my lurking.

Appreciate your time and response,
melanie

PS Speaking of time, how does everybody find the time to spend on the computer? If my daughter's awake, she wants to be in my lap playing with it which I don't let her, so I feel like she's going to resent me/it. And if she's napping (which isn't long) I've got other stuff to do.

Title: Re: 14 month old screaming - help!
Post by: Wonder Woman on October 14, 2005, 10:04:45 AM

Speaking of time, how does everybody find the time to spend on the computer? If my daughter's awake, she wants to be in my lap playing with it which I don't let her, so I feel like she's going to resent me/it.

my ds nurses at keyboard all the time so that's why I have a high post count

What I did with ds was teach him "when you feel like screaming, do this" and shook my head back and forth and made a raspberry sound. He was around your dd's age when it really started working. He still does that.

He was very verbal, though, and I knew he understood what I was saying. And we had to be very consistent with it - every single scream.

Got some weird looks in public for doing it, though!

Title: Re: 14 month old screaming - help!
Post by: MarynMunchkins on October 14, 2005, 10:12:17 AM

Remember she is screaming *because* she doesn't have those verbal skills. If she had them, she'd just tell you what was wrong. I'd work on the signs and naming objects. Her verbal development will make the most difference in stopping the screaming.

And ear plugs aren't a bad idea.

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.07151 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,987KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo