View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common sense and intuition

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty-two View Post
In some ways, I think of common sense being the S version of N's intuition . One's coming from inside you, the other's coming more from outside you - explicitly the collected common wisdom of your culture (overlaid on humanity's collective wisdom). Now I don't really get the S thing at all, but my mom's an S and she's very common sense-y, and it prevents her from being taken in in the same way that my intuition, my inner knowing, protects me. Both of them are, imo, a combo of nature/nurture. And the real issue in both cases is having them properly calibrated, as well as healthy balance in how to use it - trust it, but not uncritically, just as you shouldn't trust others' judgement uncritically.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

See, I'm not sure it's *just* a function of having intuition . My mom's a very S person, also mainstream punitive, and very common sense-y. And when I was a baby, the prevailing expert opinion was 4 hrs b/w feeds, and that the baby "can't" be hungry before then, and if you just let them cry when they wake up early, they'll go back to sleep. But I wanted feeding every 2 hours . And Mom had no trouble basically saying that the "experts" had never met me, that I gave clear evidence that I would cry the entire 2hrs until I was finally fed, and the sensible thing was to feed me when I wanted to be fed . There was no "knowing" or anything, just the common sense analysis that reality was disagreeing with the experts, and the experts' reasoning was specious compared to the evidence of her own eyes.
I agree with you. And in the here and now, if I have evidence that what I am doing is better than what you tell me, I am going to do it my way. But for chidl-rearing, there is the longitudinal aspect. So the only time I would go against Dobson, was when I had proof from someone who had grown (or at least older) kids that doing it another was better. It was not confidence at all, it was evidence. I knew it was ridiculous to try to do somethings with my baby as he was. But I had to be shown why it was OK not to be punitive. Because "common sense" is sensing that which is common. If it is common to do X and that is all the evidence I have, it seems sensible. But as an S it is also easy for me to change if you can show me your way is better. Which obviously happened.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty-two View Post
I agree that our instincts are warped by sin - they are shaped by fallen people living in a fallen world, of course they are . But so's our reason and emotions and will and we still use those (although people do throw out one or more of those, too, in the name of "sinful"). Yes, our instincts are not perfect - but *nothing* about anything in the world is perfect, it's all flawed b/c of the fall. But like the world, our reason and emotions and will and instincts still more or less work (and thank goodness ). But I've never seen a convincing argument for why we should trust sweet reason instead of our instincts . They are both equally likely to go wrong.

Yeah, it's not so much ignoring reality as it is the "more cowbell" approach to problem solving - if something isn't working, the *only* possible reason is that you aren't doing it right/enough . The idea that it might possibly be the wrong approach is not an option .
Yes both our reason and our instincts can be wrong that is why iIn the church I was taugh to trust the Bible - not reason nor instinct. I still think that holds some weight so long as the bible even speacks on the issue. But , it took me a while to realize their interpretation may be wrong, or at least based on a scripture that is vague, and that some things are not addressed at all and just Christian culture.

For the rest, I am not going to stop using reason to guide me because I have almost NO intution. None. If I base my life on that I will stand still with a blank look for eternity What I have to do is keep testing my sources and retesting to show it was not a fluke. Basically the scientific method.

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05646 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,990KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo