View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #20
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Sheepherding a Child's Heart rebuttals ASAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariJo7 View Post
I'm afraid extreme punitive parenting can be found in all denominations. Larry Christenson is a Lutheran pastor (Or was? I wonder if he is still alive...?) and he has written the very "spanking manual" that ruined the first 5 years of my marriage and motherhood. The Christian Family is the name of this book. With a preface by David Wilkerson who is a Pentacostal.

And even Chuck Swindoll has written a really horrible book about child upringing. You and Your Child, IIRC. Isn't he a baptist of some kind? Or Evangelical?

Both books were used at the church we were attending when we were young parents. It was a Full Gospel Church on The Netherlands!

It was a relief when our "Pastor" introduced the video courses and books of James Dobson. Can you believe it, Dobson a relief?
I can see Dobson being a relief . Spanking is a practical means to an end for him, not a theologically mandated way of disciplining - it makes a big difference .

I do agree that punitive parenting can infiltrate most any denomination (I've seen a parish in my denomination doing Ezzo, for goodness sake!, and certainly mainstream punitive assumptions can be widely present), and I do think that in addition to particular traditions being more susceptible to some heresies than others, sometimes *all* the traditions in a particular time/place are susceptible to heresies that are prevalent in the culture around them (e.g. Western churches and secularization). And I'm very sorry you were so badly affected by Christenson .

But Christenson himself is an outlier as far as the Lutheran tradition goes. He consciously and on purpose borrowed heavily from outside traditions (charismatic) that many fellow Lutherans believed were incompatible with our core theology (he was the head of the Lutheran Renewal movement, which sought to bring charismatic beliefs and practices into the Lutheran church). He is quoted more in charismatic sources than in Lutheran ones. His book was published by a non-Lutheran publisher and the preface was written by a Pentecostal pastor. It probably could not have passed doctrinal review. And you were taught the book in a charismatic congregation, not a Lutheran one. He's not in any way, shape, or form part of the Lutheran mainstream.

And that was my point wrt the person I was responding to: fighting off heresies that are basically foreign to the mainstream of your tradition is an entirely different thing from fighting off heresies that have become *part* of the mainstream of your tradition. (Although it is very true that what starts out as a fringe-y infiltrator that's foreign to your core theology can, if left unchecked, become stronger and warp and displace your previous core theology and become a central part of your new core theology . A tradition's core theology is *not* static but is being constantly formed and reformed. It takes CONSTANT VIGILANCE to keep your core theology from being pulled away from the Bible and the broad historic orthodox mainstream.) Informal punitive assumptions may be part of the mainstream in most traditions, but formal theological justifications for spanking *aren't*. And that's what the person I was responding to was facing. And it's a lot easier to persuade people that a fringe-y foreign infiltrator is in fact a foreign infiltrator that needs to be rejected, than to persuade people than a well-entrenched and no longer fringe-y or foreign-feeling infiltrator is in fact a foreign infiltrator that needs to be rejected.

But I do agree that traditions aren't static, and core theologies change, and churches and traditions can become susceptible to problems that they used to be inoculated against - usually by changing and moving away from the beliefs and practices that provided the inoculation.

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.

Last edited by forty-two; 03-04-2017 at 02:00 PM.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05157 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,980KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo