View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
CarissaJoy
Rose Blossom

Christian parenting should revolve around relationship with each other and with God.

CarissaJoy has a spectacular aura aboutCarissaJoy has a spectacular aura aboutCarissaJoy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Is Spanking Biblical?

katiekind--it took a lot of courage for me to blog about spanking...but I am just SO tired of people using a few verses to build a doctrine! Spanking is so ingrained in our culture, especially our "Christian" culture, that as soon as you say that you don't spank, people think you are not a "literalist," or that you are not "conservative" like them! The Bible so clearly does not support spanking! My husband and I were shocked when we went straight to the Bible for our answer to the question I posted on--spanking is not in the Bible, it just isn't. It is actually a stretch to say that the Bible prescribes it!! I had been taught for my entire life that it was the Biblical way to raise children, and when I started finding out that the Bible did not advocate spanking, it literally made me sick to my stomach! I want to speak out so as to free Christians to not use this tool.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
This is about the 10 Commandments and the details around their giving.
http://hearunderstandobey.com/moses-...-mt-sinai.html

This is the article on the Civil Law http://hearunderstandobey.com/moses-...civil-law.html

They are long but I'd love your thoughts after you read them
Crystal, thanks for sharing your posts. SO very interesting. I love your insight into Hebrew culture/thought in regards to the law. I love discussions about the Bible because it forces me to go to God's word, to evaluate what I believe.

I agree that the 10 Commandments lets us know right from wrong in God's eyes. What do you make of Romans 3:19-20 "Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin," and Romans 4:14-15 "For if those who are of the Law are heirs, faith is made void and the promise is nullified;for the Law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, there also is no violation"? From what I understand, the law is our "tutor" to lead us to Christ because we see that we cannot keep the law, and thus be justified by our works; we see that we need a Savior. I have always thought of Jesus' actions/words as using the law to show people (especially the uptight religious ones) that they could not get to heaven by being good/following the law.

Also, as regards to the believer, I agree that the 10 Commandments helps us to know what someone living in relationship with God should act like...except that I think God calls us to behavior/thoughts/actions that are even more stellar than those required by the law because we can live by the Spirit's power, and because we have been washed clean in our new natures, and are able to be holy. I think of the Romans 6 reason for why we should not sin: because we have died to sin (vs 2), having been united with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection, and raised to newness of life with God. Now, we are free to present our members to God as "slaves" to righteousness.

Another thought is that the law seems to work on our outward actions, but Jesus calls believers to be pure inwardly as well (accomplished through Christ). I always think of Matthew 5:21--, as Jesus showing that we are called to inward purity, not just outward good deeds, and this was made possible for us by His atonement on the cross; therefore, we Christians are able to live more purely than the Jews were able to under the law...

Thank you so much for your writings! I find them interesting and stimulating!! I am also happy that we agree on the most important single truth in the Bible--the way to enter heaven is through Christ and His work alone! Would love to continue this conversation...
CarissaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05279 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,974KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo