Thread: SACH review
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 06:19 AM   #12
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SACH review

Embracing Biblical Methods: Types of Communication"

This chapter reminds us that parenting is much more about communication than correction and punishment. You have to build that relationship, not just deal with problematic behavior. Mr. Tripp breaks communication down into several different groups.

Encouragment - "Children need communication designed to inspire and fill with hope and courage." This is straight from Scripture - it's our job as Christians to lift each other up. " Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."

Correction - Mr. Tripp references 2 Timothy 3:16-17 to say that "correction is one of the functions of the Word of God." The inference is, of course, the correction is appropriate for parents. The interesting thing about the word "correction" in the Bible is that it is used to speak of verbal instruction. Correction is to verbally tell someone what they are doing is wrong and tell them how to do what is right. Of course, when you think that the Word of God is said to be used for correction, it seems obvious that it is verbal/written thing.

Rebuke - According to the book, "a rebuke censors behavior." This makes sense to me. I find that I do a lot of this with 4 kids. It's the "Hey, stop hitting!" that gets said far too often around here.

Entreaty - "This is communication that is earnest and intense. It involves pleading, soliciting, urging, and even begging...it is the earnest pleading of a father or mother, who, understanding his child, the ways of God, and the extremity of the moment, is willing to bare his soul in earnest pleading for his child to act in wisdom and faith." Mr. Tripp says he has used this type of communication in discussing sexual morality issues with his children. My children aren't really at that point, so I've no idea if I will need to use that level on intensity with them with regard to that subject. However, I can say that I have done with most often with my oldest child. When I am seriously worried that I will have to admit him to the hospital if he can't calm down, I would say that I entreat him to breathe and think.

Instruction - "Instruction is the process of providing a lesson, a precept, or information that will help your children understand their world." This seems fairly obvious. Children aren't born knowing much, and they need to be taught. It's a parents job to do this or oversee those they entrust to teach for them. Mr. Tripp encourages parents to use Proverbs to help children develop discernment about life. Personally, I'm not sure why most Christians who espouse spanking seems to revere Proverbs so much. There are LOTS of books in the Bible, but Proverbs seems to be particularly favored. Of course, I certainly don't discount the wealth of wisdom there; it only seems odd that it's placed at the top of the list so often. :/

Warning - "A warning faithfully alerts us to danger while there is still time to escape unharmed." I certainly think that warnings play a valuable part in parenting. We want our children to be able to recognize and avoid danger.

Teaching - Honestly, I'm not quite sure how he differentiates this from instruction. He does say "It is often most powerfully done after a failure or a problem." I'm wondering if he's thinking of a lecture after natural consequences have already driven the point home, but he doesn't really go into enough detail for me to understand. Sorry, guys...

Prayer - He points out that while prayer is not communication between parent and child, we can gain insight from each other if we listen to each other pray. I know that my kids have gained comfort quite often from listening to me pray for them, and there is nothing sweeter than hearing my kids pray. Even if they are praying that no more boogers fall out of their nose.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05951 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,961KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo