View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
GCM_Sticky
master maker of stickies

GCM_Sticky has disabled reputation
Default Re: Collected Past Posts about Screaming

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Screaming 2yr old.....HELP!!
Post by: mom2chrisnluke on May 19, 2005, 08:58:56 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2 yr old with some BIG emotions or just firgured out if you scream at the top of your lungs most people will drop what they are doing and do what you want. This is incredibly frustrating to say the least escpecially if we are out anywhere. I broke down today and scream at the top of my lungs right back then felt like a terrible mom escpecially when I realized the back door was open and I am sure the whole neighborhood thought I was being killed. I have tried talking calmly and asking him to use his words which works half the time but some times after the 20th time he has done it I just can't stand it anymore and usually yell or get mad. Is there any other techniques tht work well for this? I hate losing my cool but it is so hard to hear the ear peircing scream so much. You would think I was chopping off a limb. If there is no help and it is just something a 2 yr old does and I need to cope, how do you cope? TIA

Leah

Title: Re: Screaming 2yr old.....HELP!!
Post by: 4LovesMom on May 19, 2005, 09:11:22 AM

Can I join in looking for some wisdom since I have the EXACT same problem with our 23-m.o. dd? Even when I respond quietly (though I've done the same reactionary scream you described) she just persists. And she doesn't know enough words still to tell me what she wants (if anything).

Post by: ThreeJane on May 19, 2005, 09:21:46 AM

I, too, would like to join in. My almost 2 year old DD (2 in end of July) is a screamer...pardon me, a SCREECHER! She has no patience, no tolerance, no time for anything. When she's sweet, she's but when's she's mad, she's and you never know which one it's going to be! I've tried redirecting, reasoning, the whole bit. She always seems to keep the SCREECHING until we're someplace like, say, a restaurant...or church *during prayer* and so forth.

Any help would surely be appreciated.

Post by: schoolofmom on May 19, 2005, 11:04:48 AM

Post by: ArmsOfLove on May 19, 2005, 11:05:43 AM

Obviously this is typical 2

Some ideas: Screaming is for your bedroom or outside. Redirect them to one of these places when they are screaming.
Play games involving volume control and actively teach "indoor voice" AND "asking for something voice"
Keep your cool

Honestly--detach from the noise and the intensity and be a safe harbor where he can drop anchor in the storm of his emotions. When he's ready he'll come to you This is the stage where we can learn that we don't have to fix everything--we can have our boundaries and they can feel how they want to about it. We certainly need to teach them appropriate responses, but that's a gradual process and they will learn (and as they learn *and* mature they outgrow this stage ).

It's most embarrassing when it happens in public and those are the moments I scoop my child up and remove us to a safe place for them to have their feelings--out of the public eye for both of us.

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05396 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,959KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below