View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 08:57 PM   #25
Chris3jam

Default Re: Somethings' bothering me

Quote:
*Even* Michael Pearl admits that training can be done without a switch. I do realize that. I'm not sure, though, how that makes him a good guy when he considers the only appropriate time to do this when you are legally forbidden to switch.
Notice that the people he says cannot switch are "workers", not the parents. This is covering himself legally. . . . .it is so the parents will not complain and get them in trouble. He also admits that discipline *can* be done without switching. . . .so why even switch at all? Why do the parents' own children not merit the same grace that another's does? MP is charismatic. He is a whiz with words. Seriously, if you are concerned about second hand information, read it for yourself. I still have my copy of TTUAC. I read it more than once, crying, weeping, because I was trying as hard as I could, and *still* did not have the children that were the promised result of this training. I still get his newsletter. His *words* are not consistant. The switching is the road by which you build the relationship with the child (the Stockholm Syndrome described above). And it's micromanaging; creating robots; taking away free-will; making things convenient and 'easy' for the parent. It may be nice. . . . .but how is that Biblical?

Let me share something. I was fully in Pearl mode when I read this account. And, after I read it, was when my blood ran cold. Even still while I revered and respected MP (at the time). He was describing the "training" of a little girl. It was in the newsletter. It started when she was born . .. . .she cried a lot; non-stop. Now, no attempt was made to find out *why*. All that was said was that "you're going to have trouble with this one." As I kept reading, I started crying. He was describing a little girl with such clear symptoms of a disorder that even *I* could see it. As he described this little girl, my mind said, immediately, "Wow! She has some sort of sensory integration disorder! And reflux!" (This was before he started to describe her "training"). She had colic and she had sensory issues, and what seemed *clearly* like autistic tendencies. What finally broke me was when he wrote about how she would constantly take off her shoes, even in the coldest of weather. And he described her training (so she would 'learn' to keep on her shoes). And it was still all wrapped up in "loving" and "lovingly" and "special", etc. And I remember this cold, cold feeling. A chill ran across my body, like a ghost had just passed. The treatment of this little girl - - -over a period of *so* many years --- if this had been an animal, they would have surely been prosecuted and the animal taken away post-haste! But, no one saw it. . . no one cared. .. . and the *words* of love may have been used. . ..but the "love" that was being described was hardly that. No one loved that little girl. That special little girl, that doesn't even know the hell she's in, because she's been told it is love. It was MP himself, from an article he wrote, that started me *really* looking at him and his 'methods'.

I do not attack the man (he will have to answer to God). I have a *huge* problem, though, with the heresy he teaches. He puts himself on equal, if not higher, level than God. . .as in, his standards are higher than God's. That is straight-out blasphemy, and I am told by God himself in His Word to stay away from people like that, no matter the "good" they may preach.

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05191 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,938KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below