Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   Can Facetime be hacked into? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=485413)

kiloyd 07-12-2013 05:16 AM

Can Facetime be hacked into?

There are many Facetimes from our son's phone that went to a person's account that he didn't even have in his contact list. And signed them from a friends name but it was ds' email address.

It was late last night when I got the call from the mom so we will be discussing this and figuring it out more tonight when dh gets home.

The message was something about "you are sexy and come get in bed with me". Does not sound like ds at all but :shrug3

MomtoJGJ 07-12-2013 05:29 AM

Re: Can Facetime be hacked into?

I would imagine it would be pretty hard to hack it. The only thing is if the email addresses were VERY close......

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

I'd keep tabs on things like your itunes account just in case someone somehow got your appleID

Waterlogged 07-12-2013 08:29 AM

Well, if you login to another Apple device with FT using your Apple ID, Facetime works with your Apple ID account.

Marsha 07-12-2013 08:31 AM

So would that mean a friend logged into FAceTime using her ds's Apple ID? I could see that being a possibility, to trade Apple IDs for one reason or another.

Waterlogged 07-12-2013 09:03 AM

It seems plausible. :shrug

kiloyd 07-12-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waterlogged (Post 5374465)
It seems plausible. :shrug

I'm not saying he didn't do it, but it just does not seem like him. We will look into it further when dh gets home from work.

DS seems/acts clueless on how he would facetime someone he didn't know.

Marsha 07-12-2013 10:16 AM

But I think we are saying that if he gave his apple Id to his friend, his friend could facetime as your ds.

Waterlogged 07-12-2013 10:24 AM

And it seems like Apple IDs could be like email addresses - they get hacked into all the time. So he may not be at fault at all - but his account could have been used fraudulently.

LovinBeingMommy 07-12-2013 10:25 AM

It is possible to hack Facetime. :shrug3 I'd look for signs that things like his email account had been hacked. When my brother's email was hacked, his Apple ID started getting massive charges because once you're into the email account, you can access everything connected to it.

MomtoJGJ 07-12-2013 10:47 AM

I also wouldn't put it past him to act like he doesn't know how to do it. Not necessarily because of HIM, but because he's a kid, you know?

I know my girls, if they know they've done something wrong, can act all innocent and ignorant.

Marsha 07-12-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomtoJGJ (Post 5374629)
I also wouldn't put it past him to act like he doesn't know how to do it. Not necessarily because of HIM, but because he's a kid, you know?

I know my girls, if they know they've done something wrong, can act all innocent and ignorant.

Don't scare me. :)

mwwr 07-12-2013 10:52 AM

You know me better than to expect tech advice from me. :giggle But regardless of whether *he* did send the message, it seems like a very good time to discuss how much trouble young men (and women) can get into with seemingly innocent (to them, anyway) behaviors online and on phones, etc. And to be grateful we didn't have to deal with this when we were their age.

Waterlogged 07-12-2013 11:00 AM

You also might want to have him change his Apple ID password and his email password.

LovinBeingMommy 07-12-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waterlogged (Post 5374649)
You also might want to have him change his Apple ID password and his email password.

Definitely do this. :yes

kiloyd 07-12-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomtoJGJ (Post 5374629)

That is why I am not sure, he will deny things. But for this he really does seem clueless.

We changed his email password and will probably have him change any other passwords.

This Facetime and Ipod stuff is all new to me.