Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   If you have hard water, do you love your washing machine? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=422087)

Dandelion 09-01-2011 08:43 PM

If you have hard water, do you love your washing machine?

I need to buy a washing machine. I am afraid to buy a front loader because I had such a hard time with my previous one getting my dipes clean. Please tell me about the washers you love an hate:)

staceylayne 09-01-2011 08:55 PM

Re: If you have hard water, do you love your washing machine?

We have hard water and a front loader. Since I've started using Rockin Green Hard Rock and diligently sun drying my CDs (I was a lazy dryer-user for a long time) I've been perfectly happy with their cleanliness.

blondie 09-01-2011 09:44 PM

I use our utility sink's hose to add extra water to my diaper loads. It's kind of a hassle, but it works. I LOVE our washer for regular stuff, but it's kind of annoying for CDs.

Dandelion 09-02-2011 08:14 AM

I am already frustrated with my diapers so if I buy the wrong washer it might push me over the edge of no return:shifty:(.

PinkPearlGirl 09-03-2011 09:05 PM

We have a front loader and love it for our dipes. The only problem is that we used Rockin' Green and it did not work well. We even used "hard rock." The Rockin' Green caused major diaper rash, so we're working towards finding a new detergent. We also use Calgon to help soften the water, which helps keep the diapers stripped and clean.

***Since I posted this, we switched to ECOVER liquid because it was the only thing available at Whole Foods that is OK for cloth and after stripping and washing all of our diapers, we finally got rid of our diaper rash. Good Bye Rockin' Green.

milkmommy 09-03-2011 09:45 PM

I have an old top loader and love it with the exception of using RnG that stuff was awful (sorry) Ive never had issues with diapers getting cleaned I do often need to double rinse it can be hard to rinse all the mineral gunk away but my diapers are always clean. I love I can soak add water with little effort etc..

Deanna

staceylayne 09-04-2011 09:15 AM

It's bizarre how different everyone's experiences are. Kind of like with the CDs themselves...there's no clear cut best, just what works for different babies and different personalities.

It's one reason it can be tricky to convert doubters to cloth. I can't promise "just buy these and wash them like this and everything will be great!".

Macky 09-04-2011 01:25 PM

We've got a toploader (bought 2001 from Sears) and it worked just fine with our "liquid rock" well water when we were cloth diapering. Double rinsing works great. Just used regular Sunlight laundry detergent. Never had buildup. The girls never had rashes. Used mostly home-sewn (by me) fitted cotton dipes with a separate wool or PUL cover.