Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   Coming out: We're getting a puppy (PICS ::grin::) (Edit: MORE pics, post 8 :giggle) (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=477730)

Beth1231 04-03-2013 02:24 PM

Re: Coming out: We're getting a puppy (PICS ::grin::) (Edit: MORE pics, post 8 :giggl

:melting oh my word...

I love the family stories :hearts

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 04-03-2013 02:37 PM

Re: Coming out: We're getting a puppy (PICS ::grin::) (Edit: MORE pics, post 8 :giggl

There's a special place in my heart for Saints! My uncle raised them when I was growing up. He once bred his girly, Bridget, and she had like 12-15 puppies in one litter. (I really think it was 15 but maybe it was just 12 :think) But I :heart:heart:heart the movie Beethoven at the time so that made them even cooler. :giggle I used to write stories about Bridget. :giggle

My dogs are annoyingly frightened of large breed dogs. :-/And its so sad cus they will bark and try to seem scary when the giant breed dogs are the most peaceful ones. :rolleyes

houseforjoy 04-03-2013 02:58 PM

super cute:heart

mollobe 04-04-2013 07:01 PM

CUTE!!! Can I ask why they stay with the parents until 12 weeks? I mean, I know they're supposed to stay with mom for at least 8 because of some specific stuff mom teaches her pups in the last couple weeks (had a breeder friend say "never trust a breeder who will let pups go before 8 weeks") but I've never heard to wait until 12. :think

duckwithoneleg 04-04-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollobe (Post 5222639)
CUTE!!! Can I ask why they stay with the parents until 12 weeks? I mean, I know they're supposed to stay with mom for at least 8 because of some specific stuff mom teaches her pups in the last couple weeks (had a breeder friend say "never trust a breeder who will let pups go before 8 weeks") but I've never heard to wait until 12. :think

It's socialization stuff, learning from their mama, etc...

There is a lot of conflicting stuff out there. Lots of people will say it is optimal for puppies to stay with their litter/mamas until 12 weeks. But with 8-12 weeks being optimal socialization time, it is a little :think-y :giggle...

Anyway, Afternoonrain spoke with the breeder yesterday and she said we can come get them any day after May 10th, which would put them at 10wks and a few days if we went that weekend.

We're thinking we might. Because that's nearly 11 weeks, and then we'd still have a week and a halfish with them still in their socialization window to take them into our lives and go and do. It could be like the best of both worlds, we think :yes:heart

Johns_Gal 04-05-2013 09:55 AM

I'd totally go scoop them up at ten weeks, and proceed to take them to every hardware store (Lowe's, etc, allows dogs), pet store, park and everything I could think of. :yes Long as they've had a parvo vaccine anyway.

They need to learn from mama and nurse if she'll still allow it, but exposing them to every surface, person, sound and vehicle you can is awesome for them.

duckwithoneleg 04-05-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns_Gal (Post 5223418)
I'd totally go scoop them up at ten weeks, and proceed to take them to every hardware store (Lowe's, etc, allows dogs), pet store, park and everything I could think of. :yes Long as they've had a parvo vaccine anyway.

They need to learn from mama and nurse if she'll still allow it, but exposing them to every surface, person, sound and vehicle you can is awesome for them.

:rockon :ty Yesssss!!!

Except the stupid Lowes' in our town no longer allows dogs. I don't know why. But it irks me. Maybe I'll try to sneak him in anyway. Maybe he'll be too irresistible for them to turn us out :giggle

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 04-05-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckwithoneleg (Post 5223420)
:rockon :ty Yesssss!!!

Except the stupid Lowes' in our town no longer allows dogs. I don't know why. But it irks me. Maybe I'll try to sneak him in anyway. Maybe he'll be too irresistible for them to turn us out :giggle

Try the home dept then...and the feed store

duckwithoneleg 04-05-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (Post 5223608)
Try the home dept then...and the feed store

I don't think our town has a home depot :think ... (boonies :doh)... BUT! Yus! I forgot the feed store!!!:rockon

Glitterfish 04-05-2013 11:49 AM

Do you have any malls w/ picture places in them near you? We had pics done w/ our dog at one of those mall places, and we walked around the mall w/ her while we were waiting for the pics to process :giggle No one said a word! Well, she was a shepherd mix, so one person did say, "Oh, she's so beautiful! I wish I could pet her, but I know she's working!" :roll She was on a regular leash and carrying a blue koala in her mouth.... definitely not a working dog! :roll

duckwithoneleg 04-05-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sstarcake (Post 5223644)
Do you have any malls w/ picture places in them near you? We had pics done w/ our dog at one of those mall places, and we walked around the mall w/ her while we were waiting for the pics to process :giggle No one said a word! Well, she was a shepherd mix, so one person did say, "Oh, she's so beautiful! I wish I could pet her, but I know she's working!" :roll She was on a regular leash and carrying a blue koala in her mouth.... definitely not a working dog! :roll

I love that!

Afternoonrain and I are talking a lot about socializing with a mindset towards building a foundation for therapy dog training. Trying to think of scripts to say to people that will encourage them that yes, we want them to pet our puppies :yes, but also to please wait until they are not jumping up or pawing. Sitting politely is what we want, and then affection... 'cause we don't want them bouncing on people when they are huge :no :giggle - but we DO want lots of strangers loving on them :sillygrin :yes

mamaKristin 04-05-2013 07:55 PM

Re: Coming out: We're getting a puppy (PICS ::grin::)

I had a St. Bernard growing up, and would LOVE another one. Aside from the drool, they are amazing dogs. :melting

Johns_Gal 04-05-2013 08:02 PM

I think you might be surprised how fast they can learn "down". If they're mellow, listeny types... IMHO those are easiest to train, second only to bright little herding dogs who are all "Yes human, please oh please teach me!" :lol Chill pups generally want to learn, and once they get it, they get it. IME, anyway. Not that aren't still babies, and aren't still going to be goofballs, but y'know.

It's the high energy bundles of hyper that make you :ph. Which, no offense meant, but... a dog who takes himself through plate glass after a moth.... he just sounds kinda hyper. :shifty

duckwithoneleg 04-05-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns_Gal (Post 5224346)
I think you might be surprised how fast they can learn "down". If they're mellow, listeny types... IMHO those are easiest to train, second only to bright little herding dogs who are all "Yes human, please oh please teach me!" :lol Chill pups generally want to learn, and once they get it, they get it. IME, anyway. Not that aren't still babies, and aren't still going to be goofballs, but y'know.

It's the high energy bundles of hyper that make you :ph. Which, no offense meant, but... a dog who takes himself through plate glass after a moth.... he just sounds kinda hyper. :shifty

Quite far from offended :roll - that's actually incredibly validating :heart

He was (is) hyper. Oh... So so hyper O.o

Tandem mama 04-06-2013 04:39 AM

Our daisy who had to move out was hyper! Oh your thread is making me have puppy fever!!

As far as scripts to use with people, if you see someone looking like they're going to pet the pup, just say, "if you'd like to love on him, please wait until he's sitting and calm. We're working on his manners right now."