Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   vegetable to take with meal for new baby meal (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=524390)

esperanza 12-13-2017 07:34 PM

vegetable to take with meal for new baby meal

I'm taking a meal to a family with a 3 year old and newborn twins. I'm making a baked ravioli dish, garlic bread, fruit, brownies, and I'm at a loss for a vegetable. The 3 year old can't have cold dairy (but cooked dairy is fine). I usually do vegetables and homemade ranch dip, but she wouldn't be able to eat the dip. I have a good winter salad recipe but I'm not sure salad is the most practical with newborn twins. Trying to think of something that is kid friendly and also easy to eat. All the vegetables I can think of would need to be cooked/roasted. I guess I could prepare some kind of cut up veggies in a aluminum dish that she could throw in to roast with the ravioli?? Or is just plain cut up vegetables weird? Other ideas?

MegMarch 12-13-2017 07:39 PM

Re: vegetable to take with meal for new baby meal

What you have is plenty, imo. Salad is fine, if the pieces are all bite size. Or a plain veggie tray without dip. But you have plenty right now.

esperanza 12-13-2017 07:50 PM

Well, I don't actually HAVE one piece of that whole meal. Haha! Not yet anyway. But I feel like I should send some kind of vegetable too.

Quiteria 12-13-2017 07:58 PM

I'd count the tomato sauce as a veggie in my household. :shifty

If you can ask the mom whether her 3yo eats veggies...what kind?...then I'd bring that. Otherwise, I'd go with the veggie tray for mom and dad, and figure the 3yo won't touch it anyway, so the dip is a moot point. Label the dip so they don't offer her any, but figure it's a grown up snack.

Roasted veggies popped into the oven with the ravioli work, too. Maybe glazed baby carrots?

The best new mom meal ever that I got was a bag of frozen mixed veggies roasted around chicken quarters. It was delicious.

gerberadaisy 12-13-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiteria (Post 6120403)
I'd count the tomato sauce as a veggie in my household. :shifty

If you can ask the mom whether her 3yo eats veggies...what kind?...then I'd bring that. Otherwise, I'd go with the veggie tray for mom and dad, and figure the 3yo won't touch it anyway, so the dip is a moot point. Label the dip so they don't offer her any, but figure it's a grown up snack.

Roasted veggies popped into the oven with the ravioli work, too. Maybe glazed baby carrots?

The best new mom meal ever that I got was a bag of frozen mixed veggies roasted around chicken quarters. It was delicious.

My 6-year-old would have eaten from the veggie tray at 3, in fact, that might have been all he'd eat on some days.

You could try a non-dairy dip such as hummus if you did a veggie tray.

I actually agree with tomato as veggie though so you're good with just that.

esperanza 12-13-2017 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerberadaisy (Post 6120404)
My 6-year-old would have eaten from the veggie tray at 3, in fact, that might have been all he'd eat on some days.

You could try a non-dairy dip such as hummus if you did a veggie tray.

I actually agree with tomato as veggie though so you're good with just that.

Hummus! Good call!! I am going to Aldi's and they have hummus!
I love that everyone counts the tomato sauce though!! :)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

bananacake 12-14-2017 09:57 AM

If I were a new mom, I'd LOVE the veggie tray or salad. It's so labor intensive to do that yourself!

RiverRock 12-14-2017 10:05 AM

I saw a meal delivered that had a can of corn as a side. I thought it was a good idea. The family can heat it with the meal, or just put it in the pantry for another day. Also agreeing with others, the veggie isn't necessary...and I also veggies without dip is fine.

Lady Grey 12-14-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRock (Post 6120450)
I saw a meal delivered that had a can of corn as a side. I thought it was a good idea. The family can heat it with the meal, or just put it in the pantry for another day. Also agreeing with others, the veggie isn't necessary...and I also veggies without dip is fine.

This or a frozen steam-in-bag vegetable.

mamacat 12-14-2017 10:47 AM

Steamed green beans are usually well liked

meagan 12-14-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 6120395)
I'm taking a meal to a family with a 3 year old and newborn twins. I'm making a baked ravioli dish, garlic bread, fruit, brownies, and I'm at a loss for a vegetable. The 3 year old can't have cold dairy (but cooked dairy is fine). I usually do vegetables and homemade ranch dip, but she wouldn't be able to eat the dip. I have a good winter salad recipe but I'm not sure salad is the most practical with newborn twins. Trying to think of something that is kid friendly and also easy to eat. All the vegetables I can think of would need to be cooked/roasted. I guess I could prepare some kind of cut up veggies in a aluminum dish that she could throw in to roast with the ravioli?? Or is just plain cut up vegetables weird? Other ideas?

What about vegan ranch? Could you sneak veggies into the ravioli dish? Tomato sauce is good at masking vegetables.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 6120395)

Or hummus as a dip for raw veggies

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by meagan (Post 6120483)
What about vegan ranch? Could you sneak veggies into the ravioli dish? Tomato sauce is good at masking vegetables.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Or hummus as a dip for raw veggies

Sorry, I just saw someone already suggested that.