Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Talk to me about mattresses? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=524859)

Sweet Life 02-25-2018 07:04 AM

Talk to me about mattresses?

It's been (ahem...20 years) since we purchased a new mattress. But...it's time. Definitely a king size for DH and I, and anything from twins to fulls for kiddos. There are so many options out there from IKEA to memory foams to springs to.... everything. What do you love and has lasted well?

2TMama 02-25-2018 08:01 AM

Re: Talk to me about mattresses?

We just transitioned from our 20 year old Queen to upgrade to a King...but otherwise, I LOVED our Simmons Beautyrest from Art Van!

ECingMama 02-25-2018 09:04 AM

Young House Love blog search mattress for their mattress review

American made foam if you go that way.

We've bought brand new mattresses from the ARC for the kids. Cheap, comfy.

I'd buy extra long twins for your teens.

charla 02-25-2018 09:06 AM

We need a new mattress, too. :cup

Sweet Life 02-25-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6130875)
Young House Love blog search mattress for their mattress review

American made foam if you go that way.

We've bought brand new mattresses from the ARC for the kids. Cheap, comfy.

I'd buy extra long twins for your teens.

Yes! Actually hoping for full or queen size for the boys, especially. And thank you for reminding me of my love for Young House Love. :heart

Katigre 02-25-2018 09:23 AM

We love Ikea.

MaySunflowers 02-25-2018 10:03 AM

We have a sealy back care mattress with a memory foam mattress topper which was a better option for me as I get hip pain laying.

For me the topper makes a big deal, either built in or added.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

mamacat 02-25-2018 11:02 AM

We got an inexpensive Linen Spa for our young adult son and it has worked out well! I am so tempted to get a King now. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Linenspa-...&wl13=&veh=sem

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 02-25-2018 11:39 AM

We finally got all the beds in the house switched over to organic about a year and a half ago. I did boat loads of research and finally decided to go with futon mattress because they are good for back health but they also are easy to find in 100% organic materials. It's also important to me that the mattress be biodegradable. At the end of their lives, I can literally put them in the compost....But I also hope these will be the last mattresses we ever need.... Before settling on manufactured organic futons I considered making my own (and actually tried some methods.) I learned all about how it's possible to retuft a mattress like a futon. So when my mattresses start to lose their shape, I'll just take them apart and retuft.

I have brands and models if people are interested.

ECingMama 02-25-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Life (Post 6130879)
Yes! Actually hoping for full or queen size for the boys, especially. And thank you for reminding me of my love for Young House Love. :heart

Why? Truly curious. In college dorms, they will not have doubles or queens! Do they sleep together? I do not know how point extra long twins are though. Just know student athletes must make do! (Tall people)

We sleep in a queen because we like to sleep near each other. Maybe because we only slept in twins before? Lol

We like floor space too (in everyone's rooms). Very large rooms?

Aerynne 02-25-2018 09:13 PM

We like our IKEA foam mattress. We’ve had it 10 years and it still seems good as new to me.

Soliloquy 02-25-2018 09:51 PM

I won't buy a foam mattress because of off gassing. We've bought several latex and wool mattresses over the years from various companies. They've all been good. Dh and I need a new one, too.

Quiteria 02-25-2018 10:52 PM

college mattresses are almost always extra long twins

Sweet Life 03-01-2018 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katigre (Post 6130880)
We love Ikea.

Any particular style or grade of IKEA mattress that is you prefer?

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6130920)
Why? Truly curious. In college dorms, they will not have doubles or queens! Do they sleep together? I do not know how point extra long twins are though. Just know student athletes must make do! (Tall people)

We sleep in a queen because we like to sleep near each other. Maybe because we only slept in twins before? Lol

We like floor space too (in everyone's rooms). Very large rooms?

Because one of our leadings on this home is that it's a place that can interchange with other needs such as additional guests and visitors. So we could open up the lower portion of the home to a family if we needed to do so. Couple could sleep in DSs bed and he'd relocate to another part of the home. Also, I'm not sure my oldest one (s) especially will be headed straight to the dorm. I can see them being great community college students or taking an alternate path and we want them to have the option of a comfortable (but not TOO comfortable ;)) of a spot in our home while they pursue their calling beyond high school. You're correct about floor space, though, we like it, too. We do have a couple of rooms that are extra big and lend themselves well to larger beds. Not all rooms, just 2-3.

---------- Post added at 08:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (Post 6130889)
We finally got all the beds in the house switched over to organic about a year and a half ago. I did boat loads of research and finally decided to go with futon mattress because they are good for back health but they also are easy to find in 100% organic materials. It's also important to me that the mattress be biodegradable. At the end of their lives, I can literally put them in the compost....But I also hope these will be the last mattresses we ever need.... Before settling on manufactured organic futons I considered making my own (and actually tried some methods.) I learned all about how it's possible to retuft a mattress like a futon. So when my mattresses start to lose their shape, I'll just take them apart and retuft.

I have brands and models if people are interested.

Yes, please. :popcorn

mommylove 03-01-2018 11:51 AM

SweetLife, if you PM me your email address, I'll forward you the latest sale email from the store where we bought our organic sheep wool futon mattresses. They offer free shipping in the U.S.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

We bought through The Futon Shop. DD has the wool teddy bear mattress, DS has the wool topper (over his old mattress). The topper is squishier than the mattress. We are happy with them, especially DS with his cozy topper.