Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=529)
-   -   Diatomacious Earth ( DE ) thread :) (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=352539)

SilverMoon 04-01-2010 08:45 PM

Re: Diatomacious Earth ( DE ) thread :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy (Post 2996771)
I have been diligent about taking it since this thread started so maybe 4-5 days. :lol My bones feel SO much better, it's not even funny. Most of the winter i was good just taking cal/mag and Vit D every day so I couldn't figure out what was going on now that it's spring. I've lost a couple pounds too which is great because I've been stuck for a while irt weight loss. Why did I forget how great it is?

Sold!

DancingWithElves 04-01-2010 10:38 PM

i keep not taking mine every day b/c i'm almost out :shifty

but we're getting more, shortly :)

i'm pretty sure ds's eczema was better when he took it.

Serafine 04-02-2010 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobluegirl (Post 2997236)
right.. we don't eat stocks made from bones.. that is probably where they got the most of it. Millet also isn't as readily eaten.

Okay, so I eat millet and stock made from bones...so does that mean I don't need DE, then?

sweetpeasmommy 04-02-2010 07:01 AM

From Earthworks Health
Quote:

5. Will DE interfere with any medication I am now taking?

Diatomaceous Earth is a mineral---silica. We have never ran into a situation in the thousands of orders sold where anyone has had a problem or reaction to taking DE. If you have any questions as to interactions with medications you are taking---ask your doctor or pharmacist if taking a silica supplement will cause any problems.
I asked our ND once if it needed to be taken at a different time than meds and he said it didn't matter. Clay is a lot different and we skip it when taking anything important.

cobluegirl 04-02-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firefighterwife (Post 2997714)
Okay, so I eat millet and stock made from bones...so does that mean I don't need DE, then?

as a society we don't. It isn't as common. How long have you been doing that? all your life?

I am just guessing here..LOL I think that most of us would benefit even if we do do stock etc..because we weren't raised on a healthy diet. :shrug3

DancingWithElves 04-02-2010 08:55 AM

to be honest, i am not sure just how much silica can be absorbed from DE. most of it is not soluble kind... just kinda like sand, only different in consistency and shape...
but then i don't know how much silica we'd need so, i'm just thinking here...

if you read around long enough, you'll see some very hateful articles talking about relation of silica to lupus, and many other diseases, and how DE should be banned, etc. which is just nonsense, b/c there is a world of difference b/w industrially used, processed DE, and silica from other sources, and pure food grade DE. those folks truly don't know there 's a difference. it's like banning corn, b/c of corn syrup.

for me, DE just makes my intestines feel better. settles my stomach... i 'd love to see what it does long term.

i take 2 tbsp once a day as long after dinner as i can...

both clay and de make me and ds constipated, but not dh :shrug3
all i have to do is take some mag citrate (which i have to add to my cal mag to change the ratio when the spirit moves me so) and i'm back to normal. i would say that de and clay should be followed with a full glass of fluid, which i don't do, so that's probably why the constipation.

lessee, what else :think
oh, i ain't gonna lie, it's gross :yuck but goes best in chocolate, chai, coffee, coke. i only mix it in a small amount, like 2 oz or so, then this is *important* i drink it while having water ready. and *before taking a breath or exhaling* put the water to your lips and drink a few sips. then you can't take you ever took it at all! no flavor, no nuffin :tu

cobluegirl 04-02-2010 09:00 AM

oh man... I may never try it...LOL

DancingWithElves 04-02-2010 09:03 AM

girl, stop that! :lol that's not why i said that

cobluegirl 04-02-2010 09:06 AM

:giggle

homesteadmama 04-02-2010 09:12 AM

Here is a great site (from my friend) where it talks a lot about the benefits of silica http://www.earthworksde.com/page/page/4135163.htm
Quote:

In Years past, our bodies would get enough silica from our diet. Unfortunately, many of the foods we now eat have lost their nutritional value due to soil nutrient depletion, food processing, and chemicals. Supplemental use of Perma-Guard Diatomaceous Earth is essencial to total body health.
Also, I don't think you can taste DE at all! The only way I can tell it's there is from the texture. It's a little chalky. But if I put it in a smoothie, I can't tell it's there at all. So Rachel, don't be scared off too quickly!

SilverMoon 04-02-2010 09:15 AM

My eczema took a turn for the worse last night and today. If this can help, I'm trying it. Unfortunately, the feed store isn't answering their phone now. probably closed for Good Friday. I'll try calling on Monday.

homesteadmama 04-02-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynaminbear (Post 2998010)
My eczema took a turn for the worse last night and today. If this can help, I'm trying it. Unfortunately, the feed store isn't answering their phone now. probably closed for Good Friday. I'll try calling on Monday.

Too bad you don't live near me. I have about 49 extra pounds of it here....I'd be happy to share! :giggle

sweetpeasmommy 04-02-2010 12:08 PM

I personally want to throw up taking clay, but I just mix my DE and chlorella in some apple juice and drink it all in one try before it settles. I use about 8 oz of juice though. It's not bad to me at all. :shrug And I am a wuss like that.

cobluegirl 04-02-2010 12:46 PM

LOL I can do the clay in just water..no issue's...

Radosny Matka 04-12-2010 09:04 AM

did you get this at a local feed store - as in livestock feed, or pet store feed?