Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Fermentation support thread :D (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=415314)

DancingWithElves 07-05-2011 03:47 PM

Fermentation support thread :D

I think we need one of these, and save up all the fermentation wisdom in one place :idea

So, here's my question: you know how nourishing traditions always says to put some whey , like a Tbsp or two, and if not, add another Tbsp of salt. I don't like my ferments too salty though! :shrug3 I make half-salt pickles and they are wonderful! Although a little fragile. For most recipes adding another whole Tbsp of salt DOUBLES the salt for the ferment, that's a lot. What dairy-free spike can we use? :think Raw ACV? non-dairy kefir?

AngelaVA 07-05-2011 03:58 PM

Re: Fermentation support thread :D

Great idea for a thread! We've been experiementing with ferments too. I just started some Kavass today, I am worried about it being too salty because of what you said.

Katydid 07-05-2011 04:10 PM

:popcorn

DancingWithElves 07-05-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 4014065)
Great idea for a thread! We've been experiementing with ferments too. I just started some Kavass today, I am worried about it being too salty because of what you said.

what kind? :cup

AngelaVA 07-05-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingWithElves (Post 4014139)
what kind? :cup

Beet, what other kinds are there?

bananacake 07-05-2011 06:25 PM

I love dilly carrots! And fermented pickles. And golden beet Ginger kraut. And fermented salsa :yum
Posted via Mobile Device

WingsOfTheMorning 07-05-2011 07:10 PM

Blue-EyedLady 07-05-2011 07:13 PM

:nak2
Just started my 1st batch of dilly carrots with 2ble salt, no whey. :nails

Soliloquy 07-05-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 4014342)
Beet, what other kinds are there?

There's rye kvass but it's much more involved, almost like making beer. I love beet kvass, I haven't made it in awhile.

Sonshinemama told me how to make my kombucha taste JUST LIKE G.T. Dave's!! Put a single strawberry in a bottle, cap it, and let it sit on the counter. :yum. :yum :yum

WRT to whey vs salt, I'm sorry I don't know. I've always used whey. I have Wild Fermentation, though, so I can cross-check the recipes later.

I want to make cortido.

The only ferment I've tried that didn't work was pineapple vinegar. It got moldy. :pout. Oh, and I'm a sourdough flunkie but I'm grain-free now so it doesn't matter. :lol

AngelaVA 07-06-2011 03:15 AM

I like the strawberry idea! :rockon I have to brag that my Kombucha has been very much like GT's lately as well ;). I got some larger mason jars and after I harvest it initially I divide it into the mason jars along with some pieces of peeled, sliced ginger and put the lid on tight and put it in the pantry for 2 days. Then I add some cranberry or cranberry blend juice to it before chilling it. It's very much like the gingerberry kombucha only still not quite as fizzy.

The sauerkraut I made last month is almost gone, trying to track down a container to get a larger batch going.

Blue-EyedLady 07-06-2011 07:46 AM

I tasted a bit of my carrot ferment. It just tastes like brine - no alcohol flavor at all. :scratch They've been soaking for 4 days now.

How do I know when they're ready?

DancingWithElves 07-07-2011 08:43 AM

I think i'll try spiking my stuff with raw ACV and see what happens :shifty

I put in the fridge a set of half-salt pickles yesterday and they are soooooo good: tangy and not too salty and yum! I did spike them with ACV, but i feel like pickles are a little easier than some other stuff.

I am not happy with my boocha! It's "wrong" half the time :shrug Sometimes bubbly, sometimes not. Sometimes takes a month. Sometimes I get a tiny little flimsy scoby. I don't know :scratch I have a set going right now and I hope it's good. :nails I also have a few extra scoby's in the fridge :think I should go set on of them to brew too, see what happens.

AngelaVA 07-07-2011 02:30 PM

So...the Beet Kavass, bubbly, pretty, nice beet flavor (there's not way a non beet eater would like it) but way too salty.

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

[QUOTE=DancingWithElves;4017871

I am not happy with my boocha! It's "wrong" half the time :shrug Sometimes bubbly, sometimes not. Sometimes takes a month. Sometimes I get a tiny little flimsy scoby. I don't know :scratch I have a set going right now and I hope it's good. :nails I also have a few extra scoby's in the fridge :think I should go set on of them to brew too, see what happens.[/QUOTE]

It sort of sounds like maybe your scoby is not very strong. I've let both of mine have several layers of scoby built up and it's much more predicatble and goes much faster 7-10 days usually.

dukeofhazzard 07-07-2011 02:32 PM

DancingWithElves 07-07-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

It sort of sounds like maybe your scoby is not very strong. I've let both of mine have several layers of scoby built up and it's much more predicatble and goes much faster 7-10 days usually.
how'd you do that :shifty