Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Would you want to know ? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=334581)

mommylove 11-27-2009 01:45 PM

Re: Would you want to know ?

She sounds like a 'fad' vegetarian to me.

I think most vegetarians or vegans would want to know. I think it goes without saying, though, that that many meatless restaurant dishes have meat products in them.

J3K 11-27-2009 03:02 PM

Yeah...I wondered why she was ordering a soup with cheese in it...maybe she didn't know where cheese comes from ?

I spoke with one woman who told me quite earnestly "I am a vegan. I only drink goat's milk."

I did my best not to laugh at her. I said "So you're a vegetarian. You don't eat meat , but you do allow yourself other products from animals such as milk or cheese."

She shook her head as she ate her Yoplait yogurt with oreo chunks..."Nope I only drink goat's milk. That makes me a vegan."

:rolleyes

Well...next time , if there is a next time , I'll go ahead and speak up again. It seems most of you would want to know.

SamRose 11-27-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J3K (Post 2730158)

She shook her head as she ate her Yoplait yogurt with oreo chunks..."Nope I only drink goat's milk. That makes me a vegan."

:hunh:hunh:hunh

deena 11-27-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaKristin (Post 2729947)
I've met some people who self-identify as vegan/vegetarian who really don't get it. Vegan drinking a Latte with cow milk - but it was skim! A vegetarian who ate chicken noodle soup - but it didn't have chunks of chicken.

:doh. That's so silly. Like they're just jumping on the cool vegan bandwagon. Good grief.

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by J3K (Post 2730158)
Well...next time , if there is a next time , I'll go ahead and speak up again. It seems most of you would want to know.

I don't know. I'm beginning to get the impression from this thread that there are more bandwagon vegans than serious vegans. So maybe you should try to assess and take into consideration the bimbo-level of the person speaking before giving the advice.

Punkie 11-27-2009 04:03 PM

I'd want to know, but honestly, it is hard NOT to know at Panera. Every Panera I've been to even has a little sign that says whether or not a soup is vegetarian. They also have a huge book you can request with every ingredient and you can read them all online. If she is offended, then it is just because she is not really vegan or she is not committed to truly eating cruelty-free :shrug

Most veg*ns I know are very careful about that kind of stuff. I did know a girl in high school who went vegetarian, so she had chicken broth every day for lunch. My mom was her teacher and told her, and the girl had a similar reaction to the lady above. :shrug Sometimes people are strange.

J3K 11-27-2009 04:05 PM

:haha

"pardon me , why are you staring at me ?"

" I'm trying to assess and take into consideration your bimbo-level before I give you some advice about the product you are about to order. That's all."

thrillofhope 11-27-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J3K (Post 2730219)
:haha

"pardon me , why are you staring at me ?"

" I'm trying to assess and take into consideration your bimbo-level before I give you some advice about the product you are about to order. That's all."

:roll

Cat 11-28-2009 08:34 AM

Just my little soapbox but...

I really don't think people should say they are vegan unless they really are, and that includes lifestyle. Did you check out her shoes? They were probably leather. If a person only eats vegan, they should say they are strict vegetarians or something...

Okay, off :soapbox

cheri 11-28-2009 09:15 AM

I agree that she just sounds like being vegan is a fad for her. Common sense would tell anyone that the cheddar isn't soy cheese, unless the restaurant specifically stated that. Or maybe she doesn't know the difference between vegetarian and vegan... again, if it disappointed her so much, she's probably just doing it as a fad.

chasingbutterflies 11-28-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat (Post 2731197)

I really don't think people should say they are vegan unless they really are, and that includes lifestyle. Did you check out her shoes? They were probably leather. If a person only eats vegan, they should say they are strict vegetarians or something...

I dunno, some people can't afford to throw away everything animal they have when they switch ;)

I would want to know but I still am :hunh at thinking cheese=vegan...:doh

Serafine 11-28-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat (Post 2731197)

While I agree in theory to a degree...being vegan for some people is part of an overall lifestyle that incorporates other ethical considerations, as well.

For example...someone has had leather shoes for a while, and then becomes a vegan. Said person also does not believe in throwing out perfectly good, usuable items and buying new things...b/c that is a waste of resources.

So...said newly-converted vegan continues to wear their leather shoes until they wear out...while also NOT eating or buying anything of animal origin. They are still absolutely a vegan, both in lifestyle and eating habits...even though they are wearing leather shoes. ;wink

illinoismommy 11-28-2009 10:23 AM

I can't get over the fact that she is saying she is a vegan while planning to order CHEESE soup. I am not a vegan or vegetarian but its OBVIOUS... you cannot be a vegan while ordering cheese soup... so chicken stock isn't here or there to her.

Serafine 11-28-2009 10:24 AM

yeah...the CHEESE issue is a pretty obvious one.

J3K 11-28-2009 10:27 AM

It confused me too , but only after I retold the story once to my hubby. I didn't catch it at first. He said "I'm not an expert or nothin'..but "cheese eating vegan" seems to cancel itself out. That's an oxymoron."

:giggle

illinoismommy 11-28-2009 10:33 AM

"I'm a vegetarian. I am trying to decide between a chicken sandwich with extra veggies or a beef patty."