Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Ack - Letters (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=243359)

Iveyrock 02-29-2008 09:43 AM

Ack - Letters

My three year old woke up this morning obssessed with letters. He's been "spelling" words with his magic wand (ruler). So far I've been really relaxed about teaching letters. He knows his name, and the first letters of family names.
He's the kind of kid that won't learn anything until he's ready - I could talk to him forever, and get nowhere, and then one day he'll just do it. So it looks like we are starting on letters - and now I am overwhelmed and don't know how to steer it :O. I know that if I just sit him down and show him all the letters, he'll loose interest. Any ideas? What to do?

Grover 02-29-2008 02:10 PM

Re: Ack - Letters

Ive been reading ooh so much about how kids learn,this week I found John Holt at the library-great read - but he is very much for letting the child tell you what they want to learn.
Ithink my sons knowledge of letters is patchy so we tried several websites/ideas.We tried letter of the week dot com or something,It was not a hit here.,no idea why We have tried along the alphabet path[serendipty blog thing] I havent followed it too closely but it works for us.Currently we are on C and to engage my son we have made cocoa cookies in c shapes,had a day of [indoor-foul weather] cowboy camping,we have had curry for dinner with cobbler and custard.We have coloured in pictures,you get my drift
hth or at least some of what I said was helpful

ThreeKids 03-06-2008 07:42 AM

DS loves the magnadoodle. I draw two letters on it at a time and ask for one of them, usually ones he's having trouble telling apart, like K and X. He pretends to grab the letter offers it to me to eat. If he reaches for the wrong one, I repeat the letter I asked for or say something like, "oh, a k, that's tasty, too."

mom2boys 03-06-2008 09:32 PM

I've loved using "Little Hands to Heaven" with my youngers. I've also used "The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading" this year and like it, but it's more for an older child. (five or so) Little Hands is for 2-5. It goes through the whole alphabet and there's hand rhymes, songs, Bible stories, etc to go with each one.

HomeWithMyBabies 03-06-2008 09:45 PM

My oldest got a leap pad fridge phonics set for his second birthday. He played with it so much he basically taught himself in a few weeks. :hiding Don't get me wrong, we spent tons of time singing songs, and I'd draw letters for him on paper and with tub paint in the bath, and I read to him at least an hour a day...but I never could have been as repetitive as that noisy toy. :giggle He also learns better with objects to hold and manipulate.

abbiroads 03-06-2008 10:31 PM

we love the Fridge Phonics too, and I DO NOT have a bunch of battery operated games. We also got the Word Wammer because my ds is just obsessed with letters and they both (and all their friends) really enjoy it. It so self directed and interactive.

Bonnie 03-06-2008 10:58 PM

:whistle "Every letter makes a sound! E says, 'eh'! Annnnnd 'ee'!" :shifty

abbiroads 03-06-2008 10:59 PM

:roll

Grover 03-07-2008 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonbonne
:whistle "Every letter makes a sound! E says, 'eh'! Annnnnd 'ee'!" :shifty

We just had to replace our fridge phonics after four years of use[and abuse] it finally died but despite DH's glee i went and ordered a new one-I couldnt bear to see Stanleys confused little face when he successfully placed a letter in and it made the ping pong sound