Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Instant pot! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=517412)

backtobasicsmum 01-12-2016 07:15 PM

Instant pot!
 
So....I've got one of those new-fangled Instant Pots coming in the mail. My crock pot died today and everyone ;) seems to have one. What are you cooking in yours?

ECingMama 01-12-2016 08:22 PM

Re: Instant pot!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by backtobasicsmum (Post 5979527)
So....I've got one of those new-fangled Instant Pots coming in the mail. My crock pot died today and everyone ;) seems to have one. What are you cooking in yours?

Instant pot in Colorado is Marijuana.

:giggle

Soliloquy 01-12-2016 08:46 PM

Re: Instant pot!
 
I just heard of these! I want one!

Punkie 01-12-2016 08:49 PM

Re: Instant pot!
 
I love my Instant Pot! (I live in Colorado, but I'm totally talking about the appliance here, lol.)

Tonight's dinner was one of our favorites - white chicken chili. I use dry beans and it is totally done after an hour, even at our ridiculous altitude.

I use it for pretty much everything.... grains, beans, meats.... There's an Instant Pot FB group that is really helpful. Some of the people are a bit obsessed (and make a LOT of cheesecake in there), but there are lots of yummy recipes posted. :)

backtobasicsmum 01-12-2016 10:27 PM

Re: Instant pot!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 5979549)
Instant pot in Colorado is Marijuana.

:giggle

I do think they should have reconsidered the brand naming. :giggle

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkie (Post 5979566)
I love my Instant Pot! (I live in Colorado, but I'm totally talking about the appliance here, lol.)

Tonight's dinner was one of our favorites - white chicken chili. I use dry beans and it is totally done after an hour, even at our ridiculous altitude.

I use it for pretty much everything.... grains, beans, meats.... There's an Instant Pot FB group that is really helpful. Some of the people are a bit obsessed (and make a LOT of cheesecake in there), but there are lots of yummy recipes posted. :)

I found the Facebook group but it moves FAST! Hopefully I can keep up with recipe suggestions here.

I do a lot of soaking/cooking/freezing dry beans.....I'm hoping this will enable me to skip a step.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 5979563)
I just heard of these! I want one!

They are on sale on Amazon right now. :yes. Half the original price (at least on the Canadian version ).

Lady Grey 01-12-2016 11:22 PM

Re: Instant pot!
 
I just got one too, though I'm finding it a little overwhelming.

So far I have made hard boiled eggs and brown rice lol. I'm planning to do a whole chicken next.

Punkie 01-13-2016 08:42 AM

Re: Instant pot!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by backtobasicsmum (Post 5979614)
I do a lot of soaking/cooking/freezing dry beans.....I'm hoping this will enable me to skip a step.

I think it is a superstar when it comes to making beans. I like the texture of pressure cooked beans much better than the texture of crockpot beans. I also love that I can toss dry beans into soup recipes and they come out perfectly when the soup is done cooking.

Steel cut oats cook really quickly in the Instant Pot, too. The trick is that you need to make sure to use non-dairy milk in them, because dairy milk will scorch and taste burnt.

Soliloquy 01-13-2016 09:47 AM

Re: Instant pot!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkie (Post 5979667)

Steel cut oats cook really quickly in the Instant Pot, too. The trick is that you need to make sure to use non-dairy milk in them, because dairy milk will scorch and taste burnt.

What if you use water?

They're half price on US Amazon, too. I think I need this more than I need new pajamas ...

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Is this a good one to get?

Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker 6Qt/1000W, Stainless Steel Cooking Pot and Exterior https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ..._z7NLwb3XHAGTX

Seriously, I have the world's worst cook top and it has brought me to tears more than once. I've never burned food until we moved to this house. The cook top is so unpredictable and it's an Electrolux! I'm ordering today.

ECingMama 01-13-2016 10:15 AM

Re: Instant pot!
 
Lisa, I bought that one last night. After learning instant pot is more than a drug. Lol. My in laws sent $100 for our special day. I'm hoping my husband can learn to cook with this. :shifty

ctab 01-13-2016 10:23 AM

Re: Instant pot!
 
Got mine during a thanksgiving sale, and it is awesome!

I have made:

Copycat zuppa tuscana Olive Garden soup
Whole chicken in the instantpot
Pork lion with gravy

Soliloquy 01-13-2016 10:57 AM

Re: Instant pot!
 
My mom sent me some money for baby things. I was going to set aside it to order Thai carry-out post-partum but I think G and dh will enjoy cooking in this thing.

I hate soaking beans, also.

:jump

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

I just ordered. It's coming on Friday! I'm so excited! This will enable us to postpone replacing the cook top for much longer.

backtobasicsmum 01-13-2016 11:51 AM

Re: Instant pot!
 
So glad I can enable people in the instant pot trend! ;) mine won't be here until next week.

Pragmatist 01-13-2016 05:24 PM

Re: Instant pot!
 
Now I want one too! Seeing if I can justify the expense...

Soliloquy 01-13-2016 08:14 PM

Re: Instant pot!
 
Yeah for Amazon, mine is coming tomorrow instead of Friday! That might actually motivate me to make a grocery run in the morning to try a new recipe.

I'm thinking some kind of risotto ...

Contented in FL 01-13-2016 08:47 PM

Re: Instant pot!
 
Oh dear. I'm storing one of these for someone but I never use it, though I have permission to.... Now I think I should buy one because it's on sale! ;) Or maybe I can just be inspired by you all and use this one :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.