Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Have you used beeswax wraps? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527448)

Lady Grey 08-01-2019 05:12 PM

Have you used beeswax wraps?

I would love to hear more about them, especially if you made yours. I would like to try them out soon and possibly make them for Christmas gifts.

MaybeGracie 08-01-2019 05:25 PM

Re: Have you used beeswax wraps?

I have some homemade ones but I didn't make them myself. I like them generally, except that it's a bit annoying not to be able to see what's inside the bowl once it's covered up, unlike plastic wrap. Bigger sizes are better because they don't grip well if it's just barely big enough to cover the top of the dish.

SewingGreenMama 08-01-2019 05:37 PM

I'm very interested in this. I have been wanting these for a while. But I've been to scattered to try.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

KarenBoo 08-01-2019 05:41 PM

I bought some at a local farmer's market. We don't use them all that often because

1) We hardly used plastic wrap to begin with. We use Pyrex and Mason jars.
2) Turns out we still reach for the plastic wrap even though we have the beeswax wraps available. I think we are too lazy and don't want to wash them.:shifty

LovinBeingMommy 08-03-2019 04:48 PM

I'm curious about these, too. I wonder how hard they are to make?

ViolaMum 08-03-2019 05:40 PM

My dh wanted to make them because he keeps bees and had lots of wax. The first attempt came out too stiff to really use. The second was better, but not quite there yet, so I bought a pair at Trader Joe's. I used them a couple of times for dh's sandwiches but I don't know where they are now. (He probably left them at work, or it could be in the lunch box he lost. :think)

All the wraps I've seen have beeswax with added pine resin. (That's what was on the Trader Joe's wraps I bought.) We think the resin is what gives it flexibility because dh didn't use it and his wraps were stiff.

There are two methods for making them. One beekeeper we know melts the wax and dips the fabric. Another irons grated wax into the fabric. You don't have to hem the fabric because the wax keeps them from unraveling. Most people just cut the fabric squares with pinking shears.

KarenBoo 08-03-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6188178)

All the wraps I've seen have beeswax with added pine resin. (That's what was on the Trader Joe's wraps I bought.) We think the resin is what gives it flexibility because dh didn't use it and his wraps were stiff.

Yes, this is correct. I've seen a few videos on how to make them, and the pine resin is what makes it not "crack."

knitlove 08-03-2019 09:16 PM

The directions on the pure wax ones that I have seen tell you to hold them in your hands and warm them up before use.

I really like them as an idea, but the only thing i use plastic wrap for is raw meat in the freezer and everything I have read says that you can't use waxed cloth for that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk