Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   chicken mamas question? water container (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=365547)

scottishthistle 06-30-2010 05:12 AM

chicken mamas question? water container

how big a container do you have? I have a gallon container inside the coop and am finding it sometimes needs to be filled twice a day. Is this normal? do you have a bigger container? I have 10 chickens. I have 2 ducks that easily drink 2 gallons a day but I would expect that from them LOL as they never seem to have their bills out of it

iplsmama 06-30-2010 05:30 AM

Re: chicken mamas question? water container

We have 17 chickens and two 1 gallon containers and refill at least one of them again during the day. And it is hot here in Texas.

Kernigemom 06-30-2010 05:40 AM

By far the best solution is an automatic waterer hooked up to a hose. Here's what we use and this same product has been around for 50 years unchanged. It works very well, and I'd never go back to lugging water!!

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/...7D&pf_id=16822

Not much goes wrong with it and once it's adjusted to your water pressure, it's really "fix it and forget it". The water in it can freeze when it gets really cold, but the fittings inside are brass and won't crack. For most of the year though, it's probably the best $20 you'll spend on your chickens.

Amber 06-30-2010 07:03 PM

I have a 5 gallon hanging water container. With 7 chickens we fill it once a week or so :bag It hasn't been very hot here yet, so I suspect we will start filling it more once the weather heats up.

Mother of Sons 06-30-2010 07:54 PM

Mine is a 3 gallon. I have 13 in the main coop and I have to fill it almost every day. If I fill it in the morning on day one, by evening of day two I would for sure have to refill. I wish I could do the hose thing but I only have one hose and it would have to go across the driveway.

scottishthistle 07-01-2010 07:41 AM

I think I found part of the problem, the container has a huge leak- bah. Now I'm down to a non-hanging waterer

Lady TS 07-01-2010 07:50 AM

5 gallon waterer that is filled once or twice a week, depending on the need. We have 5 chickens.

They also get water from some old rusty chicken waterers that we have set under the dripline of their coop. I usually dump those in the morning lately because they get nasty--the mulberries have been dropping off the tree into the water lately---mulberry wine, anyone?:shifty

scottishthistle 07-01-2010 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady TS (Post 3178087)
5 gallon waterer that is filled once or twice a week, depending on the need. We have 5 chickens.

They also get water from some old rusty chicken waterers that we have set under the dripline of their coop. I usually dump those in the morning lately because they get nasty--the mulberries have been dropping off the tree into the water lately---mulberry wine, anyone?:shifty

drunk chickens? :lol