Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Winter Promise Equine Science (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527229)

marigold 06-06-2019 11:05 AM

Winter Promise Equine Science

...has anyone tried this?
I have been using Sonlight and we love it but my daughter would really love to learn more about horses.
Alternately if anyone know of another horse related curriculum...my dd will be about grade 7 come fall and is an advanced reader.
Thanks

Quiteria 06-06-2019 07:46 PM

Re: Winter Promise Equine Science

I've seen one for Equine Math somewhere. Lots of word problems reviewing arithmetic.

ViolaMum 06-07-2019 06:59 AM

There's a thread on it over at the Well Trained Mind forums. (It's public - comes up with a quick google - but is a few years old.) It sounds like people like it for the most part for 10-12 year olds, but be on the lookout for typos in the text.

There was also mention of a Beautiful Feet curriculum on the History of the Horse that sounds intriguing. That might be for a younger audience.

One of my kids did a unit study lapbook on horses a couple of years ago - Hands of a Child I think. I looked for it this morning, but to no avail. From what I can remember, it wasn't very long, about 4 weeks, but had plenty of info for her. It was laid out well and quite user-friendly. We've done a few HoaC lapbooks and been happy with them, but probably too young for a 7th grader.

knitlove 06-13-2019 04:54 AM

Would she be satisfied by doing her own researching about what interests her about horses? What things are you hoping to cover with a curriculum about horse?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quiteria 06-13-2019 09:49 AM

A bit too advanced for now, but...

https://www.horseloversmath.com/horsemathworkbooks/

ValiantJoy07 06-13-2019 11:08 AM

Ooooh I'm going to look into this for my 6th grader!!! :jump she is horse crazy right now.

Also OutSchool is hosting a Weekly class starting in (I think) September about the book Misty of Chincoteague we're going to do it. They will be covering some equine science as well.

https://outschool.com/classes/misty-...4PB#usMXwKLbHh

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Wowza! $219 :whoa I am getting all of the rest of our curriculum for 4 students for $300. :shifty

It looks amazing though.

marigold 06-18-2019 04:55 PM

I decided that I could order the books from the library and let her have a horse research summer. She is a reader and will have no difficulty reading the books for herself just for fun. All of the books are readily available from the library and you can sign them out for 3 weeks and renew for a total of 6 more. She can keep them all summer and enjoy them.

knitlove 06-18-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marigold (Post 6183670)
I decided that I could order the books from the library and let her have a horse research summer. She is a reader and will have no difficulty reading the books for herself just for fun. All of the books are readily available from the library and you can sign them out for 3 weeks and renew for a total of 6 more. She can keep them all summer and enjoy them.

This sounds great

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk