Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Homeschool Graduation (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525139)

charla 04-14-2018 04:30 PM

Homeschool Graduation

Please tell me all you know about homeschool graduation. What did you include in a ceremony? Where did you order supplies? Diploma? Invitations? Things I don't know I need?

heartofjoy 04-14-2018 04:51 PM

Re: Homeschool Graduation

I got a very nice diploma from HSLDA. And I bought a cap and gown online. You can google caps and gowns. I'm not entirely sure one place is better than another. I think I bought from graduation source or economy cap and gown.

We bought invitations online from Simply to Impress. They were a combo announcement/invite. We did them as announcements and then added a little slip of paper with the party details.

We rented a small meeting room at a local center. We decorated with balloons, pictures, table centerpieces, a photo booth wall. We served cake and all my daughters favorite snacks. We had a short ceremony (maybe 30 minutes) and her youth pastor, me, her father, and she spoke. Then we ate and she and her friends moved the chairs out of the way and danced.

This was what she wanted. My son will graduation next year and we'll probably take him to dinner and give him a cash gift instead!

CelticJourney 04-14-2018 07:22 PM

Dd1 attended our accountability group's big graduation and we had a reception the next day.

Dd2 .....well...I took her sister's cap and gown on a hike to a waterfall and when she was on a big rock by the falls, pulled them out and made her put them on and took a picture...that was it....totally not a 'ceremony' person :)

tempus vernum 04-14-2018 07:35 PM

We’ve made reservations to “glamp” for our dd’s Graduation. (Glamour camp which means kinda resort camping). We did senior pics in fall (untraditional like her) and she says she doesn’t want a cap and gown or anything. I am considering a tassel? I can’t decide.

charla 04-22-2018 04:29 PM

So I think we'd really like to do a ceremony at our church with a reception following. I was able to order a diploma and cap and gown online. Ds wants to do his own invitations. If you had a ceremony can you tell me details about what you included? What did the speeches include? What other elements? I'm thinking that a video history of his life would be fun.

tempus vernum 04-22-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6138095)
So I think we'd really like to do a ceremony at our church with a reception following. I was able to order a diploma and cap and gown online. Ds wants to do his own invitations. If you had a ceremony can you tell me details about what you included? What did the speeches include? What other elements? I'm thinking that a video history of his life would be fun.

Can u link diploma and cap and gown? I want to at least get dd a tassel and diploma

I’d do prayer, life verse and maybe have a mentor speak abt the child, have a display of pics or video of their life. Offer the grad a chance to speak? Ask for a sermon, a prayer of blessing and anyone who would like to pray (before hand). Sing fav worship songs...

Not sure what else :think

charla 04-22-2018 05:18 PM

I got the diploma, cap and gown and tassel from HSLDA.

Great ideas! I plan to have ds speak since one of his assignments for his speech class is a graduation speech. I love the idea of dh doing a short speech/sermon. That would be neat. I think a sharing time for people to share their support fords going forward in his life would be neat too. I hadn't thought of music so I might ask ds about that, too.

heartofjoy 04-22-2018 07:45 PM

Dh wrote a speech in the hallway 30 minute before. It blew mine away, though I worked on mine for a week. Everyone cried. We talked about her as she grew up, told stories, told about struggles and strengths, etc. I talked more to her about her future. Giving advice. Her youth pastor prayed and talked about watching her grow in her faith.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

tempus vernum 05-15-2018 02:05 PM

I've decided to get her diploma from HSLDA (the link Charla provided)

My dd wants a green tassel so I think I'm ordering here.
https://www.honorsgraduation.com/ord...uation-tassels

and I'd like a special book. I'm really loving the ideas here
https://www.realsimple.com/holidays-...-for-graduates

charla 05-22-2018 10:08 AM

I thought I'd update. We are a week and half away from the graduation. Everything is coming together although there are still hundreds of details to take care of. :crazy2 We decided to have a lunch beforehand for out-of-town family that we will have catered. Dh does not want me to cook and I think that is very sweet of him to watch out for my stress level. We will have a cake and punch reception afterwards for all who attend. I think the main decoration for the reception will be 8X10 pics of ds's each birthday.

For the ceremony we are planning on dh doing the main speech, hopefully a video of ds's life (if I can get it together by then), Ds's speech, diploma ceremony, a time for people to share special memories or advice, and prayer. Short and sweet and to the point! :)

We are going to have wallet senior pics available for people to take home.

tempus vernum 05-22-2018 10:15 AM

:heart :tu I was coming to update as well. I’m so glad that your dh is watching your health. :heart

I just ordered my dd’s tassel and diploma! :happytears