Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Ideas for Containing Snacks While on Road Trips (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=522914)

bananacake 05-21-2017 11:29 AM

Ideas for Containing Snacks While on Road Trips

Struggling with a title :)

We don't go on that many road trips as a family, but when we do, DH usually drives most of the time. That leaves me handing out snacks for the majority of the trip. It's kind of annoying :shifty :giggle

I'm wondering what ideas you all might have for bento boxes, lunch bags, coolers, etc. One issue is that there are no extra seats to put down the container, everyone is in a car seat so cannot easily reach the floor, and some stuff needs to be in a cooler (usually have mayo & meat sandwiches for lunch). We are also dealing with food sensitivities (gluten, dairy, soy, and corn for DH), so we don't usually pack what might be considered traditional travel food (if there is such a thing).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mamacat 05-21-2017 11:34 AM

Re: Ideas for Containing Snacks While on Road Trips

baby wipes so can clean hands right away so dont get food on anything bringing a bag of bags helps so can gather up any trash from each meal or snack and throw away at next gas or potty stop.If they each have a zippered lunch bag or a bento box they can eat out of on lap that might help

bananacake 05-21-2017 11:44 AM

It's not that a mess is made; I bring bowls for them to eat out of. It's more about being constantly on call for food. I have to be for DD and DH, but it'd be nice to have something for the boys.

graciousmomma 05-21-2017 12:00 PM

I have nothing to contribute, but I came to read the thread after I initially misread the title, and wanted to see exactly what people would say.

I misread it as "Ideas for Containing Sharks While on Road Trips"... :shifty

What can I say....I am tired and need a nap!

Oh...now that I think of it...wasn't there a gcm who used to make reusable snack containers, like sandwich wraps and such? I can't remember who that was, but someone around here used to make cool stuff like that :think

bananacake 05-21-2017 12:26 PM

Another issue is if I turn around too much, I get car sick.

mamacat 05-21-2017 12:33 PM

Maybe packing an individual bag of snacks and lunch for kids each day that they keep back there and eat out of all day long so you are not having to dole and turn?

Singingmom 05-21-2017 12:41 PM

Can your 9yo be the Snack Master? You said it's hard to reach to the floor, but maybe a basket or bag with long handles sitting on top of the cooler with snacks to last a few hours, replenishing from the cooler when you stop?

bananacake 05-21-2017 01:45 PM

Ideas for Containing Snacks While on Road Trips

My 9 y/o has some food phobias and whines a lot. So he would not be a good candidate.

ECingMama 05-21-2017 02:02 PM

I'm confused. Are we talking about eating more than every 2.5-3 hours? Why? Boredom?

bananacake 05-21-2017 02:14 PM

We were in the car about 6 hours.

My boys eat every 2 hours, max. Usually more often. One is skinny; one is average. They are both very tall for their ages. My 9 y/o is the size of a small woman :shifty

Aerynne 05-21-2017 02:15 PM

It's not environmentally friendly but we do a lot of applesauce pouches on road trips. That would probably fit your allergen bill. I buy big boxes at Costco. I'm talking about the ones you put in your mouth and squeeze, not ones you have to eat with a spoon.

Mother of Sons 05-21-2017 02:46 PM

We usually pack things in individual ziplocks and everyone gets their own bag of food. They have to ration it themselves but you could just tell them what they can eat and when if they would go through it too fast.

Virginia 05-21-2017 03:29 PM

Is there a way to hang
Something on the back of the driver or passenger seat that would make snacks easily accessible for the kids? Idk what kind of vehicle you drive.

esperanza 05-21-2017 03:31 PM

Yes, I think something to hang on the back of the car seat is a good idea! We have something like that because our seats don't have pockets on the back. Almost like those hanging shoe storage bags (except for a car). That would work well, if there isn't room on the actual car seats/benches.

bananacake 05-21-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6085419)
It's not environmentally friendly but we do a lot of applesauce pouches on road trips. That would probably fit your allergen bill. I buy big boxes at Costco. I'm talking about the ones you put in your mouth and squeeze, not ones you have to eat with a spoon.

I could try that with DD. No one else will eat apple sauce-type stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6085428)
Is there a way to hang
Something on the back of the driver or passenger seat that would make snacks easily accessible for the kids? Idk what kind of vehicle you drive.

Toyota Sienna. There is no seat directly in front of DS2 - it's kind of to the side (he's in the 3rd row). He's not in a 5 pt anymore though, so maybe he could still reach. This is a great idea for DS1.