Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   FB changes (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=424197)

RosalieMarie 09-21-2011 06:01 AM

FB changes

I'm really not liking them this time! I usually don't complain, but this time it feels like they've disregarded privacy. That scrolling thing on the top right...I see every time one of my friends likes or comments on anything. Does my stuff show up like that? Is my name broadcasted to the world when someone likes or comments on my stuff?

APCmom 09-21-2011 06:21 AM

Re: FB changes

I don't think it broadcasts it to the world, but to all of your friends. I am pretty sure you can still make it that way, but I do think it will still show up for your friends.

FWIW, I am sick and tired of the new FB changes too!

staceylayne 09-21-2011 06:22 AM

Ugh, I have no idea, i haven't checked it out yet. But I am weary of all the FB changes and how hard it is to keep up with privacy settings. :eyeroll

JessicaTX 09-21-2011 06:24 AM

Yep, I think it is. If your friend responds on your post, their friends get that up on their scrolly bar. I feel like such a voyeur watching it.

Lady Grey 09-21-2011 06:29 AM

Ugh! Maybe I will take the time to learn Google+ after all. Though as of right now, only 3 people I know are on it. :-/

inesperada 09-21-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snugglebutter (Post 4173853)
Ugh! Maybe I will take the time to learn Google+ after all. Though as of right now, only 3 people I know are on it. :-/

That's what I've been thinking this morning. :-/

Mama Calidad 09-21-2011 09:01 AM

I went to google+ this morning. It's not so much the new changes as the reminder that facebook can and will change things that effect your privacy without notice. That I do not like. :no2

So, if you're on google+ and I haven't found you yet, look me up. :giggle

Nightingale 09-21-2011 09:04 AM

I think the ticker is annoying, but it is only showing you what you could see before--you just had to go looking for it.

So if I comment on something that belongs to a mutual friend, and you and I are friends, you could see it.

If I comment on something on a friend's page that doesn't have tight security settings, you could see it.

But if I comment on a friend's status, and they have it set to friends only you wouldn't see it.

Before, you could go to someone's wall and see the things they had commented on...now it's just right in front of your eyes which I agree is annoying...but it's not less private.

backtobasicsmum 09-21-2011 09:17 AM

:yes

inesperada 09-21-2011 09:19 AM

It is less private to some degree....because I almost never go to/went to people's profiles except to write on their wall. So I *rarely* saw "so and so likes friend's status" before, and I would bet most other people didn't either.

Mama Calidad 09-21-2011 09:25 AM

...and there is the new "public" posting option. I had my status set to post to specific groups and it over-rode that and changed it to public. I was able to change it back, since I pay close attention to that. But I don't think that everyone who is posting to the public realizes that they are doing so...or what it means. :shrug3

purstrength 09-21-2011 02:08 PM

I can't figure out how to see a "simple" friends list. :scratch

Okay, actually I just finally figured that out!

What I find annoying is I had lists set up and my privacy how I wanted it. I realize they are trying to add tools to make that easier for everyone else to do, but now I'm just confused. I feel like I'm going to need to spend a couple of hours learning the new features, customizing them, and verifying my privacy...AGAIN! It is making facebook a bigger waste of time than it already was. :twocents