Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Pearl spam (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=114274)

BluegrassMama 03-19-2005 11:23 AM

Pearl spam

Db and SIL are spamming the whole clan with offers of free Pearl books :banghead . Apparently if I just read DP's latest marriage book, dh and I could have a "heavenly" marriage like db and sil now do. :td (we're fine, thanks) They bought a huge box of books and tapes which they would like to give free, to everyone they know. :doh

Also the email informed us that the Pearls' teachings on child training, marriage, and Bible are undeniable Bible truths :shifty

If there's anything that makes me throw a :hissyfit its my peers insisting that we need to follow their gurus.

Lately if Michael Pearl says it, db believes it. How in the world did a sibling of mine get so mesmerized? :shrug

thanks, I feel better now. almost.

BluegrassMama 03-19-2005 11:40 AM

Re: Pearl spam

:blush If its not okay to discuss emails please let me know. I thought as long as I didn't quote it was ok? :idea

DogwoodMama 03-19-2005 11:59 AM

I don't think there's a problem with it. :)

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, how frustrating! :hug

BluegrassMama 03-19-2005 12:13 PM

Thank you! What I wish I could reply is, "thanks, but their parenting method turned out to be extremely harmful of our family , and we're not willing to do a Pearl experiment on our marriage."

But I won't, because even I can tell its snarky, and we do want the little cousins to be able to play together at Christmastime :O

DogwoodMama 03-19-2005 12:15 PM

I know... I'm always biting my lip when my SIL starts spouting off (ezzo-like stuff, pro-CIO, etc.)... talk about learning how to be gracious under pressure. :( Charlotte adores her cousins so I'm not willing to jeopardize the relationship at all!

sadie 03-19-2005 01:45 PM

How incredibly rude to insinuate that there is something wrong with your marriage b/c it's not exactly like her's :mad

greenemama 03-19-2005 01:48 PM

eat some bean dip and then gag yourself and puke on the book when she's trying to hand it to you. :sick

just kidding.

the pearls are psycho -- beyond punitive. i'm literally ill when i hear their names mentioned, let alone hear about people employing their abusive methods.

i'm sorry you're going through this. :hug

katiekind 03-19-2005 02:54 PM

Amy, that's awful. I really don't understand how it is that the Pearl books inspire others to buy box-fuls of them to give away to everyone. And for a family member to do that...it seems so insensitive! I'm sure he means well.

I think you could just say, "you know, everyone has their own ways of doing things, we're very happy with our marriage and our family." If they don't get the message you could add, "and we're familiar with the Pearls, I guess you could say we're just not as impressed by their ideas as some people are."

And then change the subject--quick! :crazy

Good to see you here!!

jmh1013 03-19-2005 03:12 PM

or you could try "I heard that books sales were down so low, they've started giving them away........" maybe not completely nice, but possibly effective :hearts

Wholly Mama 03-19-2005 05:00 PM

((((((Amy))))))
I'm with mollie with how I feel about the Pearls!
I recently had a Pearl run-in with a dear friend of mine. It makes me so sad to see others following their ideas. :(

sadie 03-19-2005 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmh1013
or you could try "I heard that books sales were down so low, they've started giving them away........" maybe not completely nice, but possibly effective :hearts

That's pretty funny :P

cornflower 03-19-2005 05:29 PM

:hug It is so hard to hold my tongue when family is butting into my life. I really feel for you!

Katherine 03-19-2005 05:59 PM

I think I might be tempted to say something like:

I am already familiar with the Pearl's teachings; I do not agree with them. Could you please leave me off the mailing list when you are sending out emails regarding the Pearls? Thanks!

BluegrassMama 03-19-2005 06:15 PM

:laughtears Oh, I'm cryin'....

Where else but GCM are the mamas so sympathetic, helpful, and hilarious? :grouphug

Well, as much as I adore Jen's and Mollie's suggestions ROFL I think I'll use Kathy's first one: "Everyone has their own way of doing things, and we're really happy with our marriage and our family"...and if that doesn't work, then Palil's, and if that doesn't work somebody better hide the bean dip and the spoon.

you know, the more I think about this, the more torqued I am. How rude to insinuate that we need help. Dh and I are pretty thrilled with each other :heart and even if we weren't, whose business is that?

TulipMama 03-20-2005 05:49 AM

*blush*

You know, after we used Babywise, any time I got into a conversation with a preggers woman, I'd recommend it and tell people to call our church and tell them where they could buy it. I was a Babywise missionary. I was soooo sure it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Sooo. . . I understand your siblings. . . *blush*

And I know at that time, no one thing you would have said would have made me change my mind about BabyWise. But, if you had said you weren't interested, I would have probably left you alone. (And silently thought, "Oh, those poor people. . . They'll have a demanding, me-centered baby and never get any sleep. . ." Yep, I was pretty judgemental. . .)

Like I said, there was no ONE thing that you could have said to change my mind. What it took were lots of little things, over time. So, if you felt like mentioning a couple of things and the opportunity was right--those seeds may bear fruit over time. . .