Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafts *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   Beginning guitar lessons, my finger! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=509339)

SpringMama5 10-23-2014 10:24 AM

Beginning guitar lessons, my finger!

On Sunday, my husband bought me a ukulele. Since I had always wanted to play guitar we figured it would be easier to start with the Uke then jump into the guitar.
Monday, I had started practicing and loved how easy the lessons were in the method book but I so wished I was holding an actual guitar. My husband and I talked and we both knew my heart was set on the guitar...the Uke would be the middle guy so I broke up with it. ;)
Tuesday evening, my husband bought me a beautiful spanish guitar. I have been practicing an hour a day yesterday and today but plan to practice for 2 hrs soon. My ultimate goal is to eventually move on to play classical guitar. At this point I'm just trying to learn to play it but using a pick so that I don't have anything to unlearn except for strumming which I'm cool with and don't want to completely abandon that.
So to my question, I've been practicing an hour a day since Monday. My pointing finger feels sort of numb and sore, how long till it becomes calloused? I started incorporating scales to get the rest of my finger (on left hand) used to the idea.
What does my finger and the rest on my left hand have to look forward to? :)

HuggaBuggaMommy 10-23-2014 11:27 AM

Re: Beginning guitar lessons, my finger!

Probably 3-4 weeks for callouses, if you play every (or almost) day. That's been my experience anyway.

MamaSam 12-16-2014 08:24 PM

Just now seeing this thread! That's awesome! I've wanted to learn guitar for 10+ years now and bought myself a guitar back then!but no longer have it :cry I feel kind of old to learn now,but I hope to buy a new guitar and learn soon!

Aerynne 12-16-2014 08:26 PM

IIRC, it should start to get better in about 2 weeks. You might want to play less at first so you don't hurt yourself.

And if you go a few weeks without playing, they will go away. I used to have guitar callouses and I don't anymore.

JoyfulMom 12-17-2014 02:00 PM

This is a great thread. :-) I'm sure you will enjoy your new guitar!

Does anyone have any suggestions for teaching yourself to play? We have my FIL's guitar, it was given to my daughter when he passed. I'd love to learn.

3PeasInAPod 12-17-2014 04:20 PM

They also have finger protectors for beginners. It eases you into the callouses

NovaG 12-18-2014 12:50 PM

My son who plays the guitar says to give it a couple of weeks. :-)

Hermana Linda 01-13-2015 08:05 PM

So how's your finger? :hug2

SpringMama5 01-14-2015 09:18 AM

Thank you for asking.
I originally got the callouses from a steel string guitar I've had, so when i switched to a nylon string guitar my dh bought me the callouses have either gone away or are lighter than they were before. I practice 1-2 hrs a day so not sure. There wasnt any peeling or anything once i started using the nylon string. :shrug3

Hermana Linda 01-14-2015 01:02 PM

Good. :tu

SpringMama5 01-14-2015 02:26 PM

To clarify (in case i confused you, haha): i went from the uke to the spanish guitar but between the two my dh told me to try out the steel string first before buying the spanish guitar just to see if i could transition from the uke (4 string) to the spanish guitar (6 string). I was fine with it but in the process my fingers started getting calloused from just a short time (1 day) playing the steel string.
Just noticed i didnt mention the steel string in my original post. :O

Hermana Linda 01-14-2015 02:54 PM

:idea OK, that makes more sense. :yes

Sent by Tapatalk from my phone

praise2God 01-30-2015 11:52 AM

I just got a guitar and am planning to teach myself! I was always told I couldn't learn to play guitar since I played piano as a kid because of the calluses. Now that I am an adult I decided I didn't care and I wanted to learn. I am nervous about sore fingers though. I haven't taken time to practice yet.

sara1215 02-01-2015 10:59 AM

I just got a guitar too. Learning to play is on my bucket list. I never thought about callouses though. Maybe I should look into one of those finger protector things.

WanderingJuniper 02-01-2015 01:36 PM

I intentionally purchased a low end classical/spanish guitar to start because of they are gentler on tender beginners fingers. I know have a acoustic 6 string with steal strings. I am ever so glad I did not start with it.