Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gentle Discipline *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=420)
-   -   Which Kevin Leman book for DH? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=332918)

bluedotsmom 11-15-2009 09:03 AM

Which Kevin Leman book for DH?

I am reading The Chicken's Guide to Talking Turkey about Sex to your kids (I may have mangled the title.) I adore Leman's style & think he would really mesh with dh.

I love how his message is so much about how WE respond & react, not what our kids do.

So, I am thinking about Have a New Kid By Friday or How to Make Kids Mind Without Losing Yours for DH (& me of course.)

Any suggestions for one over the other? I was also thinking I might try to find a DVD of Dr. Leman, too.

TIA

bluedotsmom 11-21-2009 10:17 AM

Re: Which Kevin Leman book for DH?

bumping for myself! :-)

any thoughts? should I have posted this elsewhere?

cobluegirl 11-21-2009 10:34 AM

I haven't read "have a new kid by friday". it has been years since I read MYCMWOLY... Can you check them out at the library and read them both and see which one works better for you? I like Kevin's style too...he doesn't really fall into the gentle discipline style but doesn't fall into the punitive...he is kind a middle ground.

LoveIsGentle 11-21-2009 11:04 AM

Are you getting the books to sway your dh into a certain form of discipline, or is he pretty well set into the GBD-mindset? I haven't read either of the books, but I did skim "Have a New Kid by Friday" at a FOTF conference. He does advocate spanking for a defiant child, and he includes at least one letter from a parent in his book that proudly talks about dragging her four year old out of bed because she wouldn't sleep and locking her out of the house until she stopped crying and went to sleep.

Other than that, though, I got the impression it was pretty middle-of-the-road parenting advice, and he definitely seems to be the type of person that will click with dads. If it's not a scenario where your dh will take those examples and run with them AFA spanking, I might try that book. Going by the speech I heard from him at the conference, it seemed like there would probably be a lot more good than bad in it.

Let me know if you get it. DH wants it too.

bluedotsmom 11-23-2009 02:07 PM

Thanks, ladies! Our libray doesn't have either book :-(

my DH definitely buys into GBD, but doesn't get that the words & attitudes our children have come from us! dh is a negative person & he is a stay at home dad, so he is the primary example to our children.

I think what I've read and heard of Leman, I really like because he seems to emphasize that we have to change how/what we do to get a different response from our children. You know, if you don't want your kid to yell all the time, don't yell at them all the time! :-)

I may just have to buy the books or I may try to download the last radio broadcast I heard by Dr. Leman.

I wish he'd read heartfelt discipline, but don't think that will work. sigh... I'll keep looking!

cobluegirl 11-23-2009 02:09 PM

can your library do an inner library loan with another library?

allycat 11-23-2009 11:41 PM

His books are great!